C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Convertible, 427, 4spd basket case value

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 AM
KC66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well been there. Got a 66 been apart for 25 years, guy said had all parts plus lots of new stuff. Well some of the new suff was ok but then again some of the new stuff was not so new afer 10 or more years of sitting around. Car was in a million pieces not even sure if it was all there, so many little pieces you dont even think of. Then the creep up part. After you start building it a lot of parts are not up to par so you start buying new ones. Wel almost done and its a really nice one. Could probably flip it and get a few dollars. Can never recoup the hours spent though. Just fun. KC
Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
if it is all there and a real BB car I would say around high 30's to mid 40's.
I can't even sell the car in my avatar for that.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:54 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Jonathan, check out that tank sticker that is 90% all there to know what it supposed to be and then check the engine pad, transmission stamping, and code on the rear to establish if they are the born with.
Now I'm going to give you some advice if I may ........
You mentioned your wife was not happy you even went to look at it, you do not have the time nor money currently to complete, and that you are thinking more on it as to flip. From my 43 years of marriage and working with cars including the purchase of one already torn apart, you are working toward a can of worms. And if it goes sour you will have one hell of a time selling your spouse on purchase of something else later. Good chance others have looked at this and walked away.
Have fun with the experience of what you found.
Chick

Originally Posted by jstauffe
Hi. I've stumbled across somewhat of a barn find, I think. 67 convertible, sunfire yellow, 427, 4 spd, 26k miles. It is completely torn apart and all over this guy's house. He has both the hard and soft tops, new trailing arms, brakes, suspension, and stainless lines. The body is rough, and the motor is apart. Its been in this state for 20 years. He claims to have 20k in new parts alone with this car. He has the gas tank sticker, which is 90% intact. I saw a 4bbl and intake, so I have to assume that it is not the tri power version. I did not check out all the numbers yet, as it would require about a day of digging etc, but assume for the sake of this discussion that they all make sense and match. I'm trying to decide if its worth my time or not.

What is something like this worth?

I appreciate any help you guys can give to me.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Originally Posted by jstauffe
Thanks for your quick replies. I don't really know what I would do with it. I'm not at the stage of life where I have time(or money) to restore something like this, as much as I would love to do it. I'm well aware of scope creep, and I can only imagine it is magnified with the cost of corvette parts. My wife would probably divorce me for trying. She's a little bent I even went to look at it. However this is one of the coolest cars ever, in my opinion (minus the color)! I'm tempted to pick it up and try to flip it, but as was mentioned, all the little stuff could be a killer. The less obvious problem with the flip is that it would be very tempting to 'keep it until.....'.
The guy seemed honest enough, and given that nothing has been in that house but the corvette for 20 years, I'll bet everything that was once on the car is still there, assuming it can all be found, and assuming that everything was on the car to start with.

I appreciate your input and advice!

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 PM
jstauffe
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! This is an impressive array of advice, and I appreciate all of it. I think at the very least its pretty cool to find something like this in somebody's garage. Its not like they make these cars anymore!

I plan to take a look at the numbers, and if the guy lets me, I'll take some pics and post 'em up here. We will see where it leads.

If anybody has an interest in a project like this, pm me with your contact information.

Thanks for all of your help!
Jonathan
Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Jonathan, I would heartily recommend that you make a fairly comprehensive list of stuff to look at, find, or ask about. Break it down to groups like body, interior, chrome etc. Use a parts or assembly manual to help. Then negotiate, schmooze, and bring cash!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by unreel1967
I can't even sell the car in my avatar for that.
he has three things going for him its 67 convertible, ait could be a real BB, and its located in the US. if your car was located here in main land US you could sell yours. I am not putting your car down but location location location., also he did say its a 67 BB the car EVERYONE wants for some reason

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 06-07-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
he has three things going for him its 67 convertible, ait could be a real BB, and its located in the US. if your car was located here in main land US you could sell yours. I am not putting your car down but location location location., also he did say its a 67 BB the car EVERYONE wants for some reason
Yea,I know. But I didn't need for EVERYONE to want a SWC.

Just ONE will do.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:07 PM
JOEY CARTEE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And then, "somewhere or another someone put a one-peice front end on it and a roll bar"!!!! havent heard that part yet!!!!! I would be interested anyway...The year i was born and probably would not need wifes permission.... Just checkbook!!!! goood luck eitherway

Quick Reply: 67 Convertible, 427, 4spd basket case value