C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Polyurethane bushings. Use it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:47 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by TheSaint
I am thinking of trying polygraphite kit. Do you get kits for the hole car?
I suppose you install them like regular rubber bushings and no grease?
a small tube of silicone grease came with mine
Bill
Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 488 Posts

I am thinking of trying polygraphite kit. Do you get kits for the hole car?
I suppose you install them like regular rubber bushings and no grease?
Yes, no grease was used on mine.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65Bob-bo
Used them every where, rear end mount, upper/lower A arms, trailing arms. Can't remember type or brand, maybe from Vette brakes. Lasted about 8-10 years in the trailing arms and have recently failed. Replaced the trailing arm bushing on the driver side after it just came apart. Noticed it when shifting and the rear end feels like it wants to 'fishtail', ie. lateral movement in the rear. The passenger side recently went out. Replaced the first with rubber and will do the same for the passenger side. I believe rubber is used on the new cars including Porches, and new corvettes. I am most disappointed having to redo this job.

The suspension was designed with the compliance of rubber as part of system.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 AM
g9m3c
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no grease?
Originally Posted by toddalin
Yes, no grease was used on mine.

Every set of Energy Suspension polygraphites I've bought all came with the tube of grease. That includes mustache bar bushings for my 260Z and control arm and sway bar bushings for my C1500. Whether it's needed or not, I don't know. I used it and don't have any leaks thus far.

EDIT: Squeaks, not leaks.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by w1ctc

The suspension was designed with the compliance of rubber as part of system.
The suspension was also designed for stock size tires and factory supplied springs. I am sure no one on this forum has modified their cars in any way like cutting the front springs to shorten them so the car sits like they want it to; or putting oversize tires and wheels on the cars with backspacing that is different from the factory design.

When the engineers designed the suspension system they made it the best they could with what was available at the time. Does that mean that in 40 plus years since there is no possibility of an advancement in technology that could be incorporated into suspension system to make it better?

Rich
Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
The suspension was also designed for stock size tires and factory supplied springs. I am sure no one on this forum has modified their cars in any way like cutting the front springs to shorten them so the car sits like they want it to; or putting oversize tires and wheels on the cars with backspacing that is different from the factory design.

When the engineers designed the suspension system they made it the best they could with what was available at the time. Does that mean that in 40 plus years since there is no possibility of an advancement in technology that could be incorporated into suspension system to make it better?

Rich
Most of the time poly is used to replace worn out rubber. Replacing the worn parts with new rubber may give the same level of "improvement".
Keeping in mind that one mans "improvement" in handling is another mans complaint about harshness. Another factor is the winter crumbling of my North East roads and budget cuts for repairs, the last thing I want is a stiffer suspension.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE

Rich
I think if one were to really study the complex three dimensional movement of the front trailing arm and strut rod bushings, it would become obvious that the non-compliant nature of standard poly bushings in these applications is a step backwards. Perhaps a Heim joint would be suitable but not really practical on the street.

A question- standard rubber bushings are designed to internally twist under suspension deflection. This twisting action also acts to stiffen the bushing assembly meaning that the amount is misalignment is substantially negated or eliminated.

Who here actually knows which type of bushing allows more misalignment at full deflection- and how much?

Quick Reply: Polyurethane bushings. Use it or not?