C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Frame Rust Repair

Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

Thanks for the shared photo's and details, my 1966 is waiting as we speak for the same treatment, a rusted frame originally from Michigan. I have a solid 1974 California frame in store for parts and pieces as needed. It may be the keeper with 66 pieces used to convert it for use in the 66. I think it would be the stronger frame since it has never experienced rust. You guys give me hope that this project can be done.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I suspect your frames going to look even worse when you get it back but dipping is the best approach. Unless you or a buddy have some pretty good welding and metal working skills you may just want to purchase a reproduction back half and splice it in.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

After what i understand the frames have usually some fine cracks wich only show when you dip the frame.
There might be some extra welding because of this
Sandblasting the frame will not make the cracs show. Only dipping will show that
Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

For frame parts, check out:

CALEDONIA CLASSIC CARS
Corvette metal parts experts!
1963-1982 Corvette parts, restorations & components
Complete frame repair!
Phone 888-245-5224 to order catalog
$4, refundable with first order

I've had a really good experience working with them.

-- Joe
Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

WOW ! I would never start with a rusted out frame like that. Don't care how many patches. Too much work to skimp on the foundation of your car. Thin and rust is usually through out the structure. You " certified " welders can't guarantee work any better than the backyard repairs. This is usually the fix for auction or flippers using a skim coat of body filler to make it look pretty. UGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Midyearnut
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Caledonia Corvettes

Ditto on Caledonia. They specialize in frame work & frame parts. They also have frames that, I believe, they sell outright & will take yours on a trade in. I've had work done there on several occasions & I heartily recommend them. Bob L.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Midyearnut
Ditto on Caledonia. They specialize in frame work & frame parts. They also have frames that, I believe, they sell outright & will take yours on a trade in. I've had work done there on several occasions & I heartily recommend them. Bob L.
According to the front of their catalog, they can restore yours, do an exchange, or have frames in stock for outright purchase.

I have some birdcage parts that I purchased from them at:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ee-bird-2.html

(see today's post at 10:30 PM).

It looks like they sandblast your frame, jig weld it, check it for straightness, and paint with correct factory paint and stenciled with factory part number.

-- Joe

P.S. If your interested, I'm replacing my '64 vert frame with one from SRIII, so it is for sale. Mine is completely restored (although my body is just sitting on it) and includes all of the suspension bits, engine / trans, rear diff, etc.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Midyearnut

Definitely a for Caledonia, I spoke to Gary on a Lower windshield frame. They saved me a ton of time and aggravation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 64 Frame Rust Repair