C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Center Caps Torq Thrust II Wheels cont.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Airetime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette Center Caps Torq Thrust II Wheels cont.

Custom Machined “Corvette” Center Caps for Torque Thrust II Wheels

I had posted a thread to find out if there was enough interest to put together a run of center caps with the Crossed Flags with the "V" for those of us who have American Racing Wheels on our Corvettes. Somehow I ended up with the poll option which closed it after just a few replies. Here is what was posted and my apologies. Lets see if I can post this again properly..

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I was having a custom set of Billet Aluminum Center Caps made for my Torque Thrust II wheels for my Corvette. It is a nice affordable way of adding a bit of style instead of the boring plain caps or the ones with American Racing on them. These have the design engraved using water jets and then are professionally polished to a high sheen. I just received these in time for the Waterfront Corvette Show this past weekend. The good news was that I received a lot of interest on each style.

Here are the designs that he did; the crossed flags with the V, larger flags without the V and the Chevrolet Bow Tie Design. These are the “Shorty Style Caps. With less high quality accessories available for our C1’s and C2’s in the past few years, these are kind of unique!

I am not looking at doing these on a large scale basis but I was asked by vt65 if I would post some pics when they were finished and “if” there was enough interest, maybe I could put together a group price deal. IMO, these center caps are beautiful!

If there at least 12 CF members that want them, I can get them for $195 (set of 4). I think that is a very fair price as everyone here knows what it cost for custom work like this to be done. The price would be plus actual shipping. Remember, these are for the newer style Torque Thrust II Wheels, not the old style.

Let me know if there is enough interest.

Sorry about that, I rushed putting the pics in before I had to go out of town for a few days. Hope this link works!

Last edited by Airetime; 05-26-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: bad links
Old 05-22-2010, 03:56 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

all i get is Yahoo's search page when i click your links Airetime
Old 05-22-2010, 04:13 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

The links don't work.

-- Joe
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

The links did not work for me. I liked the ones you posted the other day, and may be interested in a set.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be interested, but want to see them first. Links don't work.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 AM
coopdog
3rd Gear

Are the center caps flat? I have a c1 (1961) and the front center caps need about 1 1/2 clearance to cover the front dust caps.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by coopdog
Are the center caps flat? I have a c1 (1961) and the front center caps need about 1 1/2 clearance to cover the front dust caps.
Airetime never followed up on this original post back in May of 2010. But he did have this thread a few days prior to this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ii-wheels.html

As to your question, it looks like there is some depth there to cover the grease caps, but can't say if they are enough for a C1.

I added spinners to my TTD wheels and it is covered here:

The spinners are a common parts store item purchased at Pep Boys. I had to make adapters to mount them on to the TTD wheels. Paul67 is using a different version (and I think his "spin" on to tighten), and I think his might be available commercially. As you can see, my spinners sit tighter to the wheel, whereas Paul's are extended outward a little.

I did not have that option when I adapted mine. Mine are held on via 3 set screws hidden behind each "wing". The center emblems were spares left over from my 70 Vette I had years ago (with AR 200S wheels), and never used. Have not found new spares for those, and I sold that Vette in 87. The adapters were pretty easy, since the plastic center caps for the AAR wheels are basically the same OD as the spinner rear ID. I removed the center cap end cone, down to 1/2" extending out from the center cap mounting flange. I then made a steel ring that supports the inside of the center cap ring (since the AR center cap is chrome plated plastic, it needs the steel reinforcement ring for the screws and threads that hold the spinner on). The support ring was sheet metal cut in a 1/2" wide strip and rolled in a circle to fit the center of the end cap extension). I used epoxy to glue the steel support ring to the inside of the center cap ring. I opened up the rear "hole" on the spinners, so they fit over the AR center ring extension. Drilled 3 radial holes for the screws (through both the spinner and the extension/support ring). These spinners have a raised boss behind each wing that are perfect for drilling the radial holes (adds extra "meat" for the retaining threads). I used SS sheet metal screws with hex heads. Using a short "Spin Tite" (available from Sears), I can remove and install the 3 screws easily (without being able to see the actual screw) due to the hex head screw and Spin Tite. The shorter Spin Tite fits perfectly in the space between the spinner and the wheel rim. Still a slight pain to have to remove the spinners before taking off a wheel, but visually well worth it.

And note that since each spinner has it's mounting screw holes drilled individually, I must put the correct spinner on the right wheel, and they must be indexed correctly as well (magic marker on the inside of each serves that purpose). No mixing and matching! If I had drilled them on a jig (which I probably should of done), they would not of had that issue.

If you need more info, be happy to get pictures, etc.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Airetime
Advanced

Default Flat?

Originally Posted by coopdog
The caps are 7/8" tall as measured from the outside and are 3/4" on the inside. These were designed to fit the Torque Thrust II Center caps. They may fit others but as you can see they are rather flat. Thanks for asking...
Old 05-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Trouble is, when you start making them in quantity and selling them, the GM trademark boys will be knocking at you door regarding licensing fees! Expecially on a popular national forum.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Airetime
Advanced

Default That's Why

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Trouble is, when you start making them in quantity and selling them, the GM trademark boys will be knocking at you door regarding licensing fees! Expecially on a popular national forum.
That's why I am not having them mass produced and these are in limited quantity. The designs were ones that I came up that I thought might look good on my Corvette wheels. I have purchased items that were "GM Approved" in the past and to say I was unhappy with the quality is an understatement. Once these are gone, they are gone unless he wants to make some more. I am not making money on these center caps.

Anyhow, we ran off a few, the machinist still had the programs for some and since we had some in stock we decided to pass them on to some members here at a fair price.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Airetime
That's why I am not having them mass produced and these are in limited quantity. The designs were ones that I came up that I thought might look good on my Corvette wheels. I have purchased items that were "GM Approved" in the past and to say I was unhappy with the quality is an understatement. Once these are gone, they are gone unless he wants to make some more. I am not making money on these center caps.

Anyhow, we ran off a few, the machinist still had the programs for some and since we had some in stock we decided to pass them on to some members here at a fair price.
They look awesome BTW, how much do you think a set will be?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 AM
MarvBarrish
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

I would be interested in a set.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Airetime
Advanced

Default How Much

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
They look awesome BTW, how much do you think a set will be?
$220 includes Shipping/handling to the lower 48 while he still has them. You wouldn't be dissapointed...
Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Airetime
Advanced

Default Let me know

Originally Posted by MarvBarrish
I would be interested in a set.
$220 includes Shipping/handling to the lower 48 while he still has them. You wouldn't be dissapointed... PM me if you want a set and make sure that say which ones, the crossed flags or the crossed flags with the "V".
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM
c2roadster
Cruising

Well, I ordered a set of the center caps with the crossed flags with the v for my 66 roadster. Wow, how nice are they. They turned out beautiful and add such a nice touch to an already great looking wheel. Airetime, i can't thank you enough for your help. Again, the corvette forum comes through because of people like you!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 PM
MFPrice
Navigator

Originally Posted by Airetime
$220 includes Shipping/handling to the lower 48 while he still has them. You wouldn't be dissapointed... PM me if you want a set and make sure that say which ones, the crossed flags or the crossed flags with the "V".
Airetime, do you still have any of the Corvette Center Caps for the Torq Thrust II Wheels? If yes can you send me pics and still $220? Thanks. -Michael, mprice at ceoventures.com
Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM
MarvBarrish
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I ended up having adapters made to fit the 63-67 tri-bar spinners which I mounted to my early US mags. I used the 63 spinner just out of preference.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Center Caps Torq Thrust II Wheels cont.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Marv,

Looks good!

Any drawings or dimensions available for the adapters?

Plasticman
Old 07-24-2014, 09:56 PM
MarvBarrish
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Plasticman. Not really. But I would be happy to put you in touch with the guy who made them for me if you PM me. Regards, Marv
Old 05-31-2015, 03:13 PM
midyearguru
Intermediate

Default 1963 Corvette spinner adaptor for American Racing Wheels

Originally Posted by MarvBarrish
Plasticman. Not really. But I would be happy to put you in touch with the guy who made them for me if you PM me. Regards, Marv
Hi,
I'm interested in installing 1963 Corvette hubcap spinners on a set of American Racing Torque Thrust D wheels. Any information you can provide to put me in touch with the person who made the adapters will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Corvette Center Caps Torq Thrust II Wheels cont.