C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need a little help on a 1958 price

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
I seriously doubt he would make a profit if he was given the car for free. I can see at least $50K to make the car presentable, and that's doing most work yourself.
I've never seen a car with that much corrosion. It must have been submerged in salt water at one time.

Jim
Agree on all counts. I imagine if you acid-dipped the car as is, you'd get a bunch of fiberglass, glass, stainless, chrome, wiring, and driveline pieces back. It's as if the rust is holding the car together!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I saw this a LOT when doing '65/'66 Mustangs (which are a lot more prone to rust). Some poor fella with good intentions falls in love with a car with rust issues and has no idea what he is in for. He buys the car and then reality sets in and he is in way over his head (and his bank account); marriage is in trouble somtimes and then he is looking for the 'greater fool' to unload the 1/10 completed car on.

Or some guy would have a 6-cyl Stang and be dying to convert it to a V-8 and spent twice the money a driveable V-8 would cost to do the conversion.

Its funny once somebody on here has a decent, driveable car and asks what its worth everybody on the forum says that its all about the enjoyment and pleasure and not about the money. When a member finds a project car its ALL about the money.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I saw this a LOT when doing '65/'66 Mustangs (which are a lot more prone to rust). Some poor fella with good intentions falls in love with a car with rust issues and has no idea what he is in for. He buys the car and then reality sets in and he is in way over his head (and his bank account); marriage is in trouble somtimes and then he is looking for the 'greater fool' to unload the 1/10 completed car on.

Or some guy would have a 6-cyl Stang and be dying to convert it to a V-8 and spent twice the money a driveable V-8 would cost to do the conversion.

Its funny once somebody on here has a decent, driveable car and asks what its worth everybody on the forum says that its all about the enjoyment and pleasure and not about the money. When a member finds a project car its ALL about the money.
On a car that's a decent driver, it's not too hard to figure out a final dollar investment so the enjoyment and pleasure become more of a factor. On project cars, especially this 58, we try to point out the pitfalls and the enormous costs involved so the person can make an informed decision and won't end up like one of the examples you posted.

Jim
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I agree that is annoying, but the difference I believe, is that once someone owns a car, finding out what it's worth is a lot different than someone new to the the hobby asking if they should dig in to a money pit of a project.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It kind of looks like the result of the buried car in the Tulsa time capsule. Stewy
Old 05-03-2010, 10:32 AM
corv58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say go for it....It's amazing what a little soap and water will do.....Btw,I'll take the trunk irons off your hands...
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gives me the creeps just looking at stuff that dirty. I think all that cat **** really took it's toll. More like an ammonia capsule

Hey if you plopped the body on another rolling chassis and they are not that uncommon today. Put what ever motor trans you like and slowly redo all the original drive line if you so choose. Perfect body for a modern chassis.

Damm trunk irons spoken for..... Ummm I'll put dibs on the hard top..

Last edited by INMYBLOOD; 05-03-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default Update

Well I have kept in touch with this lady since I started this thread and have become pretty good friends with her. I try to see her a few times a month and have gotten her to a few cruise nights in town. Sometimes the car is never even brought up in conversation. This past week she asked me if I was ready to buy her car? I kind of laughed because she never gets rid of anything. Then she said her grand daughter needs money. We never talked price over the phone but if she is serious I know it's coming. I know you guys gave me your opinion and they varied. I guess what I'm wondering is if I offered $10k is that a safe price for me? My heart really wants this car because of the relationship I have built and knowing that I could have the car redone and she could ride in it again. However, my brain tells me I can go buy a 58-60 already in good shape for around $40k and I'm sure I would have every bit of that in this car plus headaches. So I'm thinking the smart thing is just tell her to sell to someone else. Agree?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Since you have a friendship going on, you could offer her whatever you figure out is a fair price, explaining to her the additional costs you will incur to put it into shape, and tell her if that's not as much as she's looking for that you'd be happy to help her put it on the market at a higher price. She may or may not sell at the higher price in which case she'll come back to you and your offer.

I wouldn't do that for a stranger but I would for a friend.

I'm betting she's going to sell it to you at the price you name which puts a bit of a burden on you to be fair with her, which it sounds like you're doing anyway.

-- Steve
Old 12-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd let her give you a figure she'd be happy with. If you name a too high price, you lose, too low, she'll hate you, so you lose also.(a friend) Ease into the cost and time involved with the build, maybe even bring a few catalogs to show her(seeing is believing), and then put the ball in her court....and of course include some seat time for her.....
Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
vettedreamer50
Instructor

"Instant Karma's gonna get you, knock you right in the head . You better get yourself together. Pretty soon you're going to be dead.," John Lennon
What I am trying to say is that I think you know that you should advise her to take the 20k from the other guy because you can only afford 10k and it really needs a lot more work than you thought it would. She just might sell it to you for 10k. No matter what she does, you benefit in the end.
By the way, I think its great that you have made friends with this old lady.
John
Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I can afford the $20k but it does not make financial sense because I would be upside down when it is done. I will make sure to post what happens in the end. Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 05:19 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Maybe bringing her in on the resto costs will get her to see what you are up against. Obviously there is a relationshiip there but I think she is being a bit shrewd by stating someone else is ready to make an offer.

Sit down with her and price out some of the heavy duty stuff. It might open her eyes. Then offer 10k. IMHO.

The car is salvageable but alot of work. Not a quick project either, but I understand your feelings toward the car. Good luck.

Fred
Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

There are some motivated sellers out there at the moment. You would be nuts to spend the next 2 years under that ruined car. You can buy a car for way less than that pig is going to owe you ! Get a list together of prices to show her what the car needs. I'm betting the price of the car is negative value ! It needs everything to make it sparkle and that's going to cost you big time ! If she can get 20k tow it to his house and watch it rot for another 50 years ! Sorry for my negative input but these cars are not cheap ! Stewy
Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Default Another question

I hear all about all of these motivated sellers but where are they? Everyone I see that is in real good shape is still around 40k. How do you get away from all the dealers? I know this sites for sale section is a good source but I just can't seem to find these motivated sellers.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
I hear all about all of these motivated sellers but where are they? Everyone I see that is in real good shape is still around 40k. How do you get away from all the dealers? I know this sites for sale section is a good source but I just can't seem to find these motivated sellers.
A friend is looking at a ripper 61 today that for 38k original motor 2 tops and in excellent condition. Chrome and interior is like sex ! Yeah I don't know where my mate finds these but he has his ear to the ground he is a real bargain sniffer ! I drove his 65 and it's real clean original trans and donk 28k. He just lives for this stuff ! I cringe every time I speak to him he always has a car that's cheap as chips ! and sexy as hell he shids me when I think what I paid for mine. Stewy
Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefred
Maybe bringing her in on the resto costs will get her to see what you are up against. Obviously there is a relationshiip there but I think she is being a bit shrewd by stating someone else is ready to make an offer.

Sit down with her and price out some of the heavy duty stuff. It might open her eyes. Then offer 10k. IMHO.

The car is salvageable but alot of work. Not a quick project either, but I understand your feelings toward the car. Good luck.

Fred
I would be more than happy to buy this 58 (or any other solid axle that looks this complete) for 10K or 15K....and be more than happy to invest a bunch of sweat equity in it.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a little help on a 1958 price

Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I ran my NOM '58 through Mecum a couple months ago and it bid to $45k (another offer @ $46k a few minutes later)- just for reference. I took it home and now a correct #739 283 is going into it.

It wouldnt hurt my feelings to buy that car at $10k. $20k is nuts. I'd tell her I've calculated the cost to repair it and $10k is simply the high end of what you could feel comfortable with. Tell her if someone offered her 20 she should run with it, with no hard feelings.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 AM
bcsla
Advanced

The pictures are great, the car is something. Depending on what you want a driver or not. If the original BW 4 sp trans is in it, and the posi unit. Those are expensive pieces. The shifter does not look original so the trans may be gone. It is a late production car the the earlier trans the more expensive they are.
My point is you may be able to recover a chuck of money, and put in a muncie and a later rear end.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:54 AM
kskid
Racer

I was thinking that the Visa card had better have a very high limit on it. Your going to need it for that project.

Quick Reply: Need a little help on a 1958 price