C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1/C2 ironbutt........how long can you last?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:00 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default C1/C2 ironbutt........how long can you last?

Stock seat. ... Speaking for myself I can go about an hour before it's time to get the 'blood flowing' again. The squirming, 'one cheeking' it.............jeez! ..

Short of changing out the stock seat with a replacement is there a best fix you've come across?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Stock seat. ... Speaking for myself I can go about an hour before it's time to get the 'blood flowing' again. The squirming, 'one cheeking' it.............jeez! ..

Short of changing out the stock seat with a replacement is there a best fix you've come across?
You are probably in the majority with the older crowd.

Try it again in your next life when you're younger again.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,542 Likes on 3,008 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

In my '63 roadster, I've got the seat inclined slightly so gravity pushes me into the seat back. Very comfortable. I could drive (and have driven) this car all day long.

In my '60, nothing special has been done to the seats. However in spite of that, my "personal best" was 755 miles one day when I was driving across the country.

Jim
Old 04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
You are probably in the majority with the older crowd.
I was thinking the OP was younger actually. Its a race between the 'ole enlarged prostate calling for an emergency 'rest stop' and the backside being numb enough for surgery....usually less than an hour..

I think they make padded "Depends" now...
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Even at my age, I could easily do about 3 hours at a stretch, (which is about when I run out of gasoline at 75 MPH), so my typical seat times are 2-2.5 hours so i don't run the tank dry.

The secret for me is taking my wallet out of my back pocket so I am not sitting on it.

I found the stock seat bottom pretty comfortable, even the worn out one I had before I rebuilt the seats.

Doug
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I've done over 10h drives in C2 and C3, not too bad. Sitting ten hours in a car is brutal no matter what you are driving... Next summer I'll be taking my 56 to Le Mans for the 24h race, it'll be interesting to see how my butt will cope with the 10h drives on each way...
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

"Back in the day" I would regularly do 800 miles in 800 minutes from Hunter AAF in Savannah, Ga to NJ in my '64 stopping only for gas (and oil).

Now, it's however long it takes to "process" a 20 oz coffee.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

When I was young, I could drive my 1960 all day long with no trouble, now, I'm only good for about an hour regardless whether it's a Corvette (new or old) or a Cadillac. For that matter, I can't sit in a recliner in front of the T.V. for that long. They older I get, the more places I hurt.

Jim
Old 04-26-2010, 05:03 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 6'1" and shrinking I can take no more than 3 1/2 hours in a 56 then I have to get out.....very slowly
Old 04-26-2010, 05:14 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default We've Done 6+ Hours of Driving In Our 1966 Convertible...

in the past. In fact, if a Corvette event is within 150-200 miles of our home, we will drive there and back - the same day if necessary. However, we know several people with C1s that rarely drive them long distances.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
monkfunk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok ok ok,,, you guys are all talking about a pain in the but! How about a fix for the seats ??? Are there any aftermarket Foam replacemnets ?? I'm 6'2" and need to sit lower. Been looking for maybe a Memory Foam cushion or something.

Mark
Old 04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg

You might get a better answer if you id'd the seat you're asking about. I think there were at least two different C-1 seat configurations and two different C-2's.

Speaking of the C-2's, I find the '65-'67 seat very satisfactory. Not so much with the '63-'64.

I've heard you can tie the seat springs together with listing wire in the '63-'64 seats and they'll provide better support. Don't know but I'd be interested in hearing something myself.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by monkfunk
Ok ok ok,,, you guys are all talking about a pain in the but! How about a fix for the seats ??? Are there any aftermarket Foam replacemnets ?? I'm 6'2" and need to sit lower. Been looking for maybe a Memory Foam cushion or something.

Mark
Put a set of 'good leathers' in the Vette with new foam.....

near too, something like, or whatever is not leather....its still plastic......

Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default You are right

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Even at my age, I could easily do about 3 hours at a stretch, (which is about when I run out of gasoline at 75 MPH), so my typical seat times are 2-2.5 hours so i don't run the tank dry.

The secret for me is taking my wallet out of my back pocket so I am not sitting on it.

I found the stock seat bottom pretty comfortable, even the worn out one I had before I rebuilt the seats.

Doug
I now put my wallet in my front pocket. After fixing my car , there is nothing in it anyway. But not having anything in the back pocket helps.

And 2 or 3 hours in any car is more than enough. Take a break when ever you feel like it. My 12,000 mile trip will be full of breaks.

Jack
Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Put a set of 'good leathers' in the Vette with new foam.....

near too, something like, or whatever is not leather....its still plastic...... .
Use a 'Firm' foam vs. 'Soft'. Some folks even will put a pillow or soft padding, which will cut blood flow quicker.

Don't buy into thinking that a softer seat will allow longer rides. If you want good backside blood flow, use a firm/new foam. That combined with a good, nicely stretched, leather will give you a much more enjoyable and longer ride.
RK
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I redid the stock seats in our '66 with new foam and leather seat covers. I tied the springs together with the type of string that masons use for laying out brick work. I read that it would make the seat firmer, but I don't know if it did because I have nothing to compare to.

I can go sunup to sundown and more with no complaints from my back side. Wallet goes in the glove box. My wife has no complaints either. She did complain before redoing the seats though.

A few people have put C4 seats in their cars with success, you might find some threads if you do a search.

Gerry
Iron Butt Association Saddlesore 1000 and Great Lakes Gold.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

it is not my butt as much as it is my back that starts to give me fits.....

Get notified of new replies

To C1/C2 ironbutt........how long can you last?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
365GTB4
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my 66 coupe I'm putting in C5 sport seats. Adjustable lumber and bolsters. The 64 has rebuilt leather seats and seem pretty good for a couple of hours. There are after market adjustable lumbar supports and air bladders that could be added to stock seats to make them much more comfortable.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by RoadKing96
Use a 'Firm' foam vs. 'Soft'. Some folks even will put a pillow or soft padding, which will cut blood flow quicker.

Don't buy into thinking that a softer seat will allow longer rides. If you want good backside blood flow, use a firm/new foam. That combined with a good, nicely stretched, leather will give you a much more enjoyable and longer ride.
RK
I agree. I ride an Electra Glide, and the stock saddle was very soft. After a few hours it seemed like the foam had compacted enough that you felt like you were sitting on a metal pan. I upgraded the seat when I was long distance touring to a seat that was recommended by a lot of the Iron Butt Association members. When I got the seat I couldn't believe how rigid it felt, I thought I was screwed for sure. It turned out that the firm saddle worked really well.

That was about the time that gel packs for motorcycle saddles were coming on the scene. I've heard they work well also, but I've never used one.

Gerry
Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Just got back from an extended trip to California. We usually like to take our time but on this particular trip we spent 12 hrs one day and over 10 on another day. I think I still have the seat pattern embedded in my backside.

Quick Reply: C1/C2 ironbutt........how long can you last?