C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help Me Rid My Gas Tank Of Rust Flakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 AM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 67tripwr
Rust, the silent enemy!

Some tanks fair better than others. The original in my 67 looks as clean inside as the day it was new. I of course however seen them rusted so bad the top caved in.

Replace that one
My tank looked brand new inside also, but it looked liked it leaked some years ago on the bottom, had the car apart for rear end work and junked that tank, just cause you don't want to go back there, get a new tank and piece of mind.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default The tank is ready to go in - I got a question

Should the exterior of the tank be covered or painted with a rust preventative? The tank I removed was coated with por-15. Opinions are appreciated. And, thanks again to all for your previous good advice.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

every tank i have seen is galvanized or electroplated, no coating
Bill
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

It took a while but the tank is changed out. The fuel lines were blown out with compressed air on two separate instances, 15 minutes each time. New (rubber) lines- at the engine compartment and at the tank. New sending unit and strainer, of course. New in-carb fuel filter.

Started it up...

... gas leaking from carb under the vac pump lever and gas pissing out the peep holes of the fuel pump ...

This should convince me to enjoy it on the road (not in the garage) a bit more often
Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

Because its such a PIA to pull clean

Bad mess-fumes-chemicals, bent over, back pain, dirty cut fingers,

check for damage, seal it up and reinstall and

take care of the other 85% of the parts you have to take apart or replace.

After you have done all that then you may as well go all the way and pony up for a new tank.

Then you will never think of it again-whats that worth?

Now for my solid axle, because its easy(30 minutes) to pull the tank, I have a place to make the mess, I would sauce it up with the eastwood kit
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't think you are going to find some magic solution to add to your gas to dissolve rust and let it flow through your induction system effortlessly. You also probably have an on-going problem now in that the rusting will continue. You are only trying to delay the inevitable...
Old 04-15-2011, 07:37 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

New tank may be the best answer, but it is not the only answer.

My 56 had been sitting for 12 years, and the tank had a thin layer of surface rust on the inside and outside..

I pulled the tank, rinsed it with water to get any loose stuff out, blow dried it with compressed air.

I then put a 1/2 bucket or so of washed , clean gravel, followed by about a quart of lacquer thinner into the tank. I sealed all of the openings with duct tape and proceeded to shake rattle and roll the tank, sloshing the gravel and lacquer thinner around. Did this for about a 1/2 hour, tilting and rotating the tank to get the gravel and lacquer thinner to all parts of the inside.

I emptied the tank of the gravel and lacquer thinner, and blow dried it again. I then put another quart of lacquer thinner in as a rinse, sloshed it around, and emptied the tank.

That tank was nice and bright clean on the inside. I cleaned and painted the outside to appear galvanized.

So, I have my original tank, in great shape, for the cost of 2 quarts of lacquer thinner.

I would not have done this if the tank were badly rusted inside, or if it had any holes in it.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I was scratching my head trying to make a similar decision on my frame-on 1954 project, mainly because I want to keep it as original as possible.

. Last week I ordered a new tank for my '54 from Corvette Central for $199.

RG
called cc and they do not have the 53-55 tank. tank in my 55 sat for 30 years and had major buildup in it. the baffle settup inside the tank makes it difficult to work on and shaking small pebbles in it did very little to get rid of the buildup. boiling at a radiator shop also did no good. i purchased acetone and it took over a week of daily shaking to get the tank where i could get it coated. with the baffles in the tank i still can see small areas that are not properly coated. i would suggest buying a new tank!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wmf62
Bill
galvanization or electroplating is a coating process. steel is sent to a pickle line where the surface is prepped to be coated. it can then be hot dipped in a zinc bath or electroplated on one side or both.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
Bill
The original tanks were stamped from terne-plated steel; the raw steel (in coil form) was run through a bath of molten lead and tin, which bonded to the steel and formed a durable coating.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The original tanks were stamped from terne-plated steel; the raw steel (in coil form) was run through a bath of molten lead and tin, which bonded to the steel and formed a durable coating.
john, that is pretty impressive to know about terne-plated steel. the steel industry been using a zinc bath for quite some time. percentages of lead and tin are very similiar to the babbit i had to hand pour for the bearings of the work rolls that shaped the steel. i remember lead and tin would comprise 99% of the bars and of the remaining 1%, arsenic had the biggest percentage. protection while pouring these bearings use to be the use of abestos gloves and coats!

Last edited by scopeli; 04-15-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 PM
MarkL36
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 63 f250, I used the por 15 gas tank restore kit, and 30 pieces of 2 inch gravel. It was a lot of work though.
If you buy a new tank you should seal the inside of it anyhow. Mark
Old 04-15-2011, 04:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 1966 Coupa
If you buy a new tank you should seal the inside of it anyhow. Mark
There's no need to "seal" the inside of a new tank; it'll only last 30-40 years without any attention. The last thing you need is to have a "sealer" that's attacked by ethanol gas and the particles clog up the fuel system.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:39 PM
MarkL36
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There's no need to "seal" the inside of a new tank; it'll only last 30-40 years without any attention. The last thing you need is to have a "sealer" that's attacked by ethanol gas and the particles clog up the fuel system.
Your right Johnz, I wasnt thinking how todays gas might affect the sealer. Scratch that comment from the record. I did mine and year ago and still have a clear fuel filter, i hope it stays that way. Mark
Old 04-15-2011, 05:42 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe my flake problem isn't as bad as others, but I only get a few tiny flakes in the bottom of my glass bowl for every couple hundred miles. This is driving fast on windy mountain roads to stir stuff up too.

I was getting allot more when I first got the car and drove it that way before the engine/carb rebuild with the old incorrect fuel pump about 1,500 miles. Now with my rebuilt engine, rebuilt carb, and rebuilt correct fuel pump, I get so little I don't feel worried by it.

How much flake in how many miles would you guys consider a problem? I'm using a really good reproduction thick heavy metal filter. I have a couple NOS filters but I am saving them for judging at some point in the distant future.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Default appreciate the consensus

After reading this thread, think I'll buy a new tank as well. The bottom and top, as well as seams are without rust, but for some odd reason, I have some kind of weird rust looking crud built up on the upper front wall of the tank, just behind the filler cap where the gas nozzle would hit the tank. Bot sure what it is, but it's thick, bubbly, and I'm getting a new tank.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default to get the trash out!

compressed air from your air compressor blowing into the tank with the fuel out and the line to the pump disconnected...watch out as debris will fly out the mouth of the filler in all directions

Get notified of new replies

To Help Me Rid My Gas Tank Of Rust Flakes

Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

My advice.. spend the $198.00 and buy a new tank. The headaches this will help you through will more than worth it!

David
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
The best advice you can receive is what you've already been given: Buy a new tank. That way you fix it once and fix it correctly.

Jim
Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Default It's kind of enjoyable revisiting an old post of mine

Some time has passed and all is fine with the car. No more rust problems and the '66 is doing what it should be doing ... putting a smile on my face!

This is what's transpired since my OP.

Originally Posted by cor66vette
Many thanks to all of you for your input. Seems like the new tank is the way to go. Might as well do it once...the right way.
The first remedy to finding your way is to admit you are lost. I learned that in hunter training many many moons ago.

Should the exterior of the tank be covered or painted with a rust preventative? The tank I removed was coated with por-15. Opinions are appreciated. And, thanks again to all for your previous good advice.
The inside rust affects the running of the car, not the outside. Using and keeping only fresh gas is the way to keep the inside of the tank up to snuff. And yes, as some of you pointed out, the tanks are coated.

It took a while but the tank is changed out. The fuel lines were blown out with compressed air on two separate instances, 15 minutes each time. New (rubber) lines- at the engine compartment and at the tank. New sending unit and strainer, of course. New in-carb fuel filter.

Started it up...

... gas leaking from carb under the vac pump lever and gas pissing out the peep holes of the fuel pump ...

This should convince me to enjoy it on the road (not in the garage) a bit more often
When I rebuilt the carb I didn't notice that the floats took on some weight (gas). After starting the car and the leak was evident I had to troubleshoot the reason for the leak. It was obvious at that point the floats were the culprits so I changed out the floats. No more flooding at the carburetor. Problem #1 solved.

After removing and disassembling the fuel pump, tears and distortion on the diaphragm were apparent presumably from rust flake contamination, hence the spewing of gas through the peep holes. I changed out the fuel pump. No more pissing gas out the peep holes. Problem #2 solved.

Some time has passed since that rust flake problem caused me such grief. I've been driving the car and enjoying it the way a classic should be enjoyed and driven- not all the time but often enough.

Thanks a lot to all who have helped me through this. That's what this hobby is all about - car nuts helping car nuts. Thanks and have a great week.

Quick Reply: Help Me Rid My Gas Tank Of Rust Flakes