C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My bad luck with new parts lately

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,604 Likes on 2,174 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I feel your pain. The only reason I own a cellphone is for roadside emergencies while driving old Corvettes.

As for lousy parts, I just installed my FOURTH power steering pump on my 68 in less than 2 years.

The conversion from points is nice but bad modules can leave you stranded. Sometimes you spend more time fixing these cars than driving them. You are due for some worry free driving soon. It just takes a little time to trust the car again. Keep the cell phone handy
Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 252 Posts

Here's my junk part story. I bought these Moroso clear bowl sight plugs to see if I could see the gas boil when I was having restart problems. I wasn't planing on leaving them in since they are plastic but just for a few test runs. I put them on the three bowls of the 3X2 on Friday night, went to test drive it on Saturday and all three had fractured and fallen off. Never even started the engine! Disaster averted! When I gripped the remaining part in the bowl it shattered. Moroso tech line said they haven't seen this before and I should return them, that's it.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I don't get their ad. They say that they have a box of 10 with 7 available. The bid looks like you would bid for one set of the points at an opening bid of $47.00+. Am I reading that correctly??? If so, that is one heck of a lot for a set of points. I can't imagine that this guy has 7 full boxes with 10 sets each for that amount.

Each bid is for 1 box of 10 sets of points.

RON
Old 04-25-2010, 12:37 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Here's my junk part story. I bought these Moroso clear bowl sight plugs to see if I could see the gas boil when I was having restart problems. I wasn't planing on leaving them in since they are plastic but just for a few test runs. I put them on the three bowls of the 3X2 on Friday night, went to test drive it on Saturday and all three had fractured and fallen off. Never even started the engine! Disaster averted! When I gripped the remaining part in the bowl it shattered. Moroso tech line said they haven't seen this before and I should return them, that's it.

I have a set of those that I "was going to install" on my tri-power setup also. I guess that after seeing your experience with them I'll have to think quite hard before I install them. How tight did you make them ???

RON
Old 04-25-2010, 03:48 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
How tight did you make them ???
The instructions state: "...as tightly as possible using only your fingers", I didn't even make them that tight. The threads were a snug fit going in, maybe it was a bad batch, too much stress on them?

Quick Reply: My bad luck with new parts lately