Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
jkuzzy
CF Senior Member
 
jkuzzy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Flower Mound TX
Default Headers are on! Alternator bracket question

My new Hedman headers are on and look great. Installation was very easy. I never, ever saw the problem that I was going to encounter....
When I rebuilt my motor I put on Edelbrock polished heads and needed a 1" spacer (so I am told) to clear the roller rockers to the valve covers. Now the standard header alternator bracket for a short water pump doesn't fit because it is too short. Anybody make a bracket that will work and won't break the bank?
__________________
Jeff K
1964 Red Coupe
327 NOM/4 speed
Hedman long tubes/Chambered Exhaust
Radio doesn't work-Don't need it
jkuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
MasterDave
Moderator
 
MasterDave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 1999
Location: Dove Mountain Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuzzy View Post
My new Hedman headers are on and look great. Installation was very easy. I never, ever saw the problem that I was going to encounter....
When I rebuilt my motor I put on Edelbrock polished heads and needed a 1" spacer (so I am told) to clear the roller rockers to the valve covers. Now the standard header alternator bracket for a short water pump doesn't fit because it is too short. Anybody make a bracket that will work and won't break the bank?
You can buy one at just about any auto parts store for under $10. It bolts to your header bolts.
MasterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member
 
Bluestripe67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Location: Chevy Chase MD.
Default

If you mean the adjustable bracket, I had a welder add about an inch to mine. Make sure you get it right with an acceptable arch to clear the top of the alternator. Dennis
Bluestripe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
jkuzzy
CF Senior Member
 
jkuzzy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Flower Mound TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDave View Post
You can buy one at just about any auto parts store for under $10. It bolts to your header bolts.
I have one of those, but it is short due to the extra 1" spacer. If the part didn't wrap around the lip of the valve cover, I would be golden.
__________________
Jeff K
1964 Red Coupe
327 NOM/4 speed
Hedman long tubes/Chambered Exhaust
Radio doesn't work-Don't need it
jkuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Kensmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Kensmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Rocklin California
Ken Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuzzy View Post
I have one of those, but it is short due to the extra 1" spacer. If the part didn't wrap around the lip of the valve cover, I would be golden.
So is the bracket hitting the valve cover or is the bottom of the alternator hitting the valve cover? Would a longer or shorter belt re-position the alternator so it will not touch the valve cover?
Kensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
jim lockwood
CF Senior Member
 
jim lockwood's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuzzy View Post
When I rebuilt my motor I put on Edelbrock polished heads and needed a 1" spacer (so I am told) to clear the roller rockers to the valve covers.
I'd re-examine the premise that you need that spacer.

Many after market heads have raised rocker cover rails that automagically give you enough clearance for the Poly-Loks.

Even with stock heads you don't need a 1" spacer. Short Poly-Loks and a 5/16" valve cover gasket will give enough head room that you can get the valve cover on.

Jim
jim lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
toddalin
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Santa Ana CA
Default

I can't see how this would be an issue. Maybe its just the mount you are using?
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

BTW, these things flex like the Dickens. I took mine to a welding shop and had them add a reinforcement. Still flexes big time. Like an accordion, they straighen out at the bends.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

When most people hear the belt squeel, it is typically because the existing bracket/brace are flexing allowing the nose of the alternator to pull in/angle in toward the crank. This reduces the tension on the belt and it slips. (Mine still does this to some extent and you can see the lengths I've gone to to address this problem.) But I have another ace up my sleeve. (More on that later this/next week.)

Last edited by toddalin; 03-31-2010 at 12:58 PM.
toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
1COOL60
CF Senior Member
 
1COOL60's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
I can't see how this would be an issue. Maybe its just the mount you are using?
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

BTW, these things flex like the Dickens. I took mine to a welding shop and had them add a reinforcement. Still flexes big time. Like an accordion, they straighen out at the bends.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

When most people hear the belt squeel, it is typically because the existing bracket/brace are flexing allowing the nose of the alternator to pull in/angle in toward the crank. This reduces the tension on the belt and it slips. (Mine still does this to some extent and you can see the lengths I've gone to to address this problem.) But I have another ace up my sleeve. (More on that later this/next week.)
When I used a bracket similiar to this, I got tired of replacing them when the mounting legs broke. So the next time I bought one, I cut a horizontal slot in each leg above the mounting holes. I cut the slot almost all the way through (so I could break off the mounting legs). I then bolted the bracket to the header, and welded it to the header (on the back side of the bracket). I then broke off the mounting legs so I would have adequate clearance for a wrench on the header bolt. Never had any problems after that.

Last edited by 1COOL60; 03-31-2010 at 02:11 PM.
1COOL60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
LB66383
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Long Beach CA
Default

If you have the Edelbrock heads, they should have the drilled and threaded holes in the front that the original factory 327 heads didn't. There are a variety of different alternator mounting brackets that use those holes. I have that type of mounting bracket and tall valve covers on a 383 stroker with no interference problems at all. Check Summit or Jegs.
LB66383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
jkuzzy
CF Senior Member
 
jkuzzy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Flower Mound TX
Default

I will have to look at the spacer and clearance. That would be great to not have it.
I talked to Alan Grove brackets today. They are extremely nice, but pricey. $89 for a painted one seems high to me. Maybe not. If the roller rockers hit after taking off the spacer, I may not have a choice.
__________________
Jeff K
1964 Red Coupe
327 NOM/4 speed
Hedman long tubes/Chambered Exhaust
Radio doesn't work-Don't need it
jkuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
vt65
CF Senior Member
 
vt65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Simcoe Ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1COOL60 View Post
When I used a bracket similiar to this, I got tired of replacing them when the mounting legs broke. So the next time I bought one, I cut a horizontal slot in each leg above the mounting holes. I cut the slot almost all the way through (so I could break off the mounting legs). I then bolted the bracket to the header, and welded it to the header (on the back side of the bracket). I then broke off the mounting legs so I would have adequate clearance for a wrench on the header bolt. Never had any problems after that.
i see you have a flex fan on your car...PLEASE do yourself a favor and get rid of it! ....mine fatigued after 5 years use and a piece broke off and sliced thru the rad hose like a razor knife then put a hole in my hood, at normal highway speed...just a warning!

Last edited by vt65; 03-31-2010 at 06:37 PM.
vt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
vt65
CF Senior Member
 
vt65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Simcoe Ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
I can't see how this would be an issue. Maybe its just the mount you are using?
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

BTW, these things flex like the Dickens. I took mine to a welding shop and had them add a reinforcement. Still flexes big time. Like an accordion, they straighen out at the bends.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

When most people hear the belt squeel, it is typically because the existing bracket/brace are flexing allowing the nose of the alternator to pull in/angle in toward the crank. This reduces the tension on the belt and it slips. (Mine still does this to some extent and you can see the lengths I've gone to to address this problem.) But I have another ace up my sleeve. (More on that later this/next week.)
......
vt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
jkuzzy
CF Senior Member
 
jkuzzy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Flower Mound TX
Default

A friend is bending the bracket that I had outwards and I hope to have the alternator on tonight. That will get me to the muffler shop tomorrow for the rest of the install.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Jeff K
1964 Red Coupe
327 NOM/4 speed
Hedman long tubes/Chambered Exhaust
Radio doesn't work-Don't need it
jkuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #14
toddalin
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Santa Ana CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuzzy View Post
A friend is bending the bracket that I had outwards and I hope to have the alternator on tonight. That will get me to the muffler shop tomorrow for the rest of the install.
Click the image to open in full size.
You appear to have thick flanges on your headers (like my Thorleys). When you put the header bracket on, you loose bolt thread engagement. As it is, if you are using the typical 3/4" long header bolts, you only have marginal grab as is. These first two bolts kept coming loose for me and I put longer ones in to compensate for the mount/flange.
toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
jkuzzy
CF Senior Member
 
jkuzzy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Flower Mound TX
Default

Good point. I will have to measure the bolts because they appeared longer than normal to me, but I didn't think twice about it. I got these headers for a number of reasons and one of them was the thicker flange. It is 3/8" instead of 5/16" which seems to be more of the normal anymore.
__________________
Jeff K
1964 Red Coupe
327 NOM/4 speed
Hedman long tubes/Chambered Exhaust
Radio doesn't work-Don't need it
jkuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #16
66since71
CF Senior Member
 
66since71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: South East Michigan
Default

In my opinion, the best solution for a left hand side alternator mount is one of the OE brackets used on the C-3. They bolt to the forward surface of the head (your Edlebrocks should be threaded for it), so there is no need to use the header mounting bolts. There were at least 3 different versions. Try any of the usual Corvette part suppliers, and look for the C-3 bracket.

Harry

(edit: Noticed its also LB66383's recommendation)

Last edited by 66since71; 04-01-2010 at 01:26 PM.
66since71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
jkuzzy
CF Senior Member
 
jkuzzy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Flower Mound TX
Default

Well, I drove to the muffler place today with open headers. Wow. My teeth were still rattling 15 minutes later after I pulled in, but it was quite a thrill. I got a few looks at the stop lights.
The chambered exhaust is on and it sounds great. I was able to heat up and change the configuration of the alternator bracket and got it on. It is not perfect yet, but I needed to only get to the shop and back for now. Maybe it is just me, but it sure seems to rev quicker than before with the stock 2" exhaust.
At WOT, she really sings. I can't imagine what it sounds like out the back.
__________________
Jeff K
1964 Red Coupe
327 NOM/4 speed
Hedman long tubes/Chambered Exhaust
Radio doesn't work-Don't need it
jkuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #18
VetteRed1965
CF Senior Member
 
VetteRed1965's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Woodstock GA
Send a message via ICQ to VetteRed1965
Default

[QUOTE=jkuzzy;1573622328]Well, I drove to the muffler place today with open headers. Wow. My teeth were still rattling 15 minutes later after I pulled in, but it was quite a thrill. I got a few looks at the stop light.

:
VetteRed1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Headers are on! Alternator bracket question
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1965, 327, 65, alternator, big, bracket, corvette, cover, headers, hits, install, mounting, passenger, side, slike, summit, time, valve


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2