C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 a/c ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
bigkat
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 63 a/c ???

Just finished installing a much needed engine wiring harness tonight. Well almost finished... What is the easiest way if any to get to the back of the ac so I can plug in the rest of the harness through the firewall inside the car. I was hoping to not entirely take apart the dash and glove box.

Thanks in advance
Scot
Old 03-17-2010, 10:34 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Scot,
I have a 65, so my answer may or may not help for a 63, depends on if the wiring changed.

But, all of the wiring you are describing is either part of the engine harness which plugs into the firewall fuse box (I think), or comes out of my firewall up near the windshield wiper motor.

What wiring are you specifically wrestling with? You mention "back of the ac" but that's confusing me, the back of the AC compressor is readily accessible.

Alternatively, if you are talking about AC controls in the dash, you can get to most if not all of that by removing the glove box.

I look forward to seeing your car at Cars and Coffee again, once I can get some time to get out there.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
bigkat
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default .

Thanks Jeff......I am all set isinde the engine. I just need to bring the wires through to the controls. Not looking at it now but i think 3 with connectors on them. I will pull the glove box tomorrow
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigkat
Thanks Jeff......I am all set isinde the engine. I just need to bring the wires through to the controls. Not looking at it now but i think 3 with connectors on them. I will pull the glove box tomorrow
Is this what you are thinking of? The wire grouping going to the silver switch on top of the box? On the 65, and I assume 63, turning the A/C on/off by pulling the **** on the dash, simply operates a bowden cable attached to a lever which in turn operates a plunger on that silver switch. Thus the wiring for the A/C system goes to that silver switch as opposed to a **** on the dash. In 64 and 65, there's also another wire under the dash that keeps the A/C fan from blowing if the rear exhaust fan is also blowing.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
bigkat
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

That is it.......I will get the glove box out

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigkat
That is it.......I will get the glove box out

Thanks
Ok, those wires definitely come in through the firewall closer to the driver than the passenger. So you'll have to get the glove box out, disconnect the wiring, and then get under the steering column and fish the wires across the dash. Then follow them up to the top of the firewall, I think near where the speedo/tach cables enter.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 a/c ???

Quick Reply: 63 a/c ???