C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

are the 63-64 drum brakes really bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Actually, I've always thought that the drum brake setup on the mid-year Corvettes was one of the best drum brake systems made in it's day. Nothing at all wrong with drum brakes. From a design standpoint, I don't think they're quite as good as a properly designed disc brake system, but that's not to say that they're not a good system.

Just as the fuel injection systems currently used on most modern cars is in general better than the carburetor it replaced, that's not to say that properly carbureted systems are "bad"! Something better just came along, same as with drum and disc brakes, at least in my opinion.

Drive on with drum brakes and never give it a second thought . . . . .

Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a story about brake lock up.

Driving my 63 swc about 10 years ago, going about 60 mph and without warning, all lanes in my direction dead stop. Jamming on brakes full strenght, one rear (passenger side) wheel locked up. Car made an adrupt (and I mean adrupt) 90 degree (right) turn and off the parkway to the grass. If I had stabilized or correct adjusted brakes, I would have smashed head on to the stopped traffic. I got way with no damage and tread (steelbelt) separation on the locked wheel. Go figure! I was lucky. All stories of straight line stops in bad situations dont hold true! Someone was watching over me! Regards,Abe G
Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

The OP is in Florida!

He will need the disc brakes garunteeed (to stop very quickly when the old pharts pull right out in front of you).

Plasticman
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Can we hear from any guys that live in the mountains? I plan on driving my mid-year (havent bought one yet) a lot in Vermont and New Hampshire.( Lots of mountains and curves for those who havent been there). On some of the roads I have traveled, I have experienced brake fade ( if thats the right term) on my car with disc brakes. On a steep decline with lots of curves when you are getting on the brakes, they dont grab as well after a while and you can actually smell them. I am leery of getting a midyear with drums because of this. Anyone from a mountain state care to chime in on this?
Mike
Old 03-17-2010, 05:50 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Another possible consideration: An upgrade to semi metallic brake linings will enhance overall braking performance with a drum brake system. That's been my experience. .. Old phart...................over and out! . .
Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 1
Can we hear from any guys that live in the mountains? I plan on driving my mid-year (havent bought one yet) a lot in Vermont and New Hampshire.( Lots of mountains and curves for those who havent been there). On some of the roads I have traveled, I have experienced brake fade ( if thats the right term) on my car with disc brakes. On a steep decline with lots of curves when you are getting on the brakes, they dont grab as well after a while and you can actually smell them. I am leery of getting a midyear with drums because of this. Anyone from a mountain state care to chime in on this?
Mike
How you drive disc or drum will dictate your mountain braking performance. If you "ride" them the whole time. Both will fade. Drums will just do it sooner. Use your gears to regulate your speed.

Another mountain issue on carburated cars. Vapor lock.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I'm looking age 59 in the eye in two months...birthday is on flag day (June 14th) for those considering gifts.....I'm still looking for those C1 hubcaps that will spin by themselves at stop lights (hint, hint).

I basically agreed with most that drums are fine for the occasional driver...I wouldn't do daily driving without discs...and the C1 drums aren't self adjusting either so you have to stay on top of that. As to using 20 year old and up cars as daily drivers, I don't know why that's a problem at all.

I also don't care how heavy a car the drums were designed for as that can be overcome by aggressive driving Force=Mass X Acceleration if I remember my high school physics. And why is locking up the brakes an indicator of stopping ability ? In many cases that's the last thing you want to do...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Let's face it. They hardly install drums anymore for a good reason. If you want the best brakes on your Vette. Get disc. The rest is acedemic.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

And why is locking up the brakes an indicator of stopping ability ? In many cases that's the last thing you want to do...

It's an indicator of stopping ability with regards to being able to overpower the tires and as stated previously, the tires are the weak link of stopping ability in that respect.

Brakes designed for heavier cars and then installed on lighter cars generally mean the bigger brakes will absorb more stops on the lighter car before fading. I.E., the larger car was deemed "safe" with those brakes. A lighter car would be "safer" from a fade standpoint.

Last edited by MikeM; 03-18-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
64_365
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You will now hear from the 'old f@rts' telling you to keep your drum brakes and bias ply tires forever... It'll take a while because they are typing in their reply on TRS-80 Radio Shack computers.
You crack me up.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 PM
64_365
Racer

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Corvette had some of the best drum brakes. Just don't take em down a mountain road or into standing water. Drums are fine. Discs are better and have considerably less unsprung weight.
That's right! A few years back I had the idea that I would improve my '64 but use the same era technology to do it. I purchased a set of Buick/Olds big finned aluminum drums from a '64 Wildcat or Starfire. If they could stop a 5000 pound land yacht, then they would be killer on a 3600 pound Vette, right? I got those things and I just couldn't believe how heavy those danged things were!

Anyone in the market for a set of finned aluminum drums?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Famester
Advanced

I converted to the dual master cylinder and added power brakes, but left the four wheel drums on my 64. The car stops on a dime.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Canute
People still road race these cars sometimes. How about with a set of Porterfield shoes?
Hi Canute. Sears Point turns 7 and 11 have concrete wall runoff areas. Please come run with me into those turns with your drum brakes irrespective of modern pad material. Trust me, if the C1 Corvette RACEcars could run discs.....they would sell their mothers to do so.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Let's face it. They hardly install drums anymore for a good reason. If you want the best brakes on your Vette. Get disc. The rest is acedemic.
In this line of thinking, why don't all you boys out there with mechanical fuelies convert them to new fuel injection units? They'd be more fuel efficient right? Better gas mileage, which lends itself to a greener community.

For all of you old pharts out there, when you were wet behind the ears, how many of the cars you had, beat the pizz out of, drove totally over the edge, had disc brakes??? How many times did they fail?? I guess if you're posting here, they seemed to do alright.

My first car was a '71 Chevelle that had manual drums. I felt more comfortable with that car than any other I have had. Not sure why, maybe because it was my first car... But I could always count on the brakes doing what they needed to do... And you really don't need to know what I did with that car Man i wish it wouldn't have rusted away....
Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

By the by boys, rear drum brakes are still quite common on new vehicles, and if your driving through the mountains with an old drummer car, that's what those scenic lookouts are for, get out enjoy the fresh air, and let 'em cooooolll down, whats the farging rush...!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disc brakes are much better than drum. I can't compare the 2. If I wasn't so **** about keeping my car OEM I would have a set of all round disc brakes at a blink of an eye.
I converted my Mustang to disc and the difference is chalk and cheese. Drums are ok, discs are the bees knees. My 2 cents ! Stewy
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

NEVER had a problem

Get notified of new replies

To are the 63-64 drum brakes really bad?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

BEES KNEES and CHALK AND CHEESE in the same reply. Now WHO could top that! I must go walkabout down your way before I croak, mate. thanks for the cultural bits.
~~~~CANADIANBEER RULES~~~~
Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
64_365
Racer

Originally Posted by kerrmudgeon
By the by boys, rear drum brakes are still quite common on new vehicles, and if your driving through the mountains with an old drummer car, that's what those scenic lookouts are for, get out enjoy the fresh air, and let 'em cooooolll down, whats the farging rush...!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yep, they're quite common on low budget cars, that is, the non-high performance cars. My Smart car has them.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,760 Likes on 820 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Hi Canute. Sears Point turns 7 and 11 have concrete wall runoff areas. Please come run with me into those turns with your drum brakes irrespective of modern pad material. Trust me, if the C1 Corvette RACEcars could run discs.....they would sell their mothers to do so.
Totally agree but what percentage of the people responding on this thread do you suppose track their car(s) at the Nurburgring?

Quick Reply: are the 63-64 drum brakes really bad?