C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Questions about buying a 63-64

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 1

First, lots of people want drivers that are correct and do pay a premium for it

I thought I was pretty clear that I excluded that type of buyer in my post. This is what I said:

"There is NOTHING wrong with a fake if you're not paying a premium for originality"

This was the OP's criteria:

"Im not looking for a show car but a really nice driver, something thats worth the money Im paying and will go up or at least hold its value."

A documented, original car usually has a premium price attached to it. A premium of little or no practical use or functional value while the car is cruising down the highway at 50 mph.

Sounds to me like he is not looking for the same type car you are. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by MikeM; 02-24-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
musicmike927
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not want a fake. I want it to be 47 years old made by chevy.

I looked up how to spot birdcage rust. If you had a serios buyer looking at your mid-year would you take off any panels for him or remove the glove box? ... im just assuming that these guys arent going to let that fly when they see a 16 year old looking at their car.

Im still going to do my best to find someone willing to help me out there. but gaining as much knoledge on my own cant hurt... by the way i posted pics of my GTO on my profile page. Hopefulling in a few months i will have some up of a corvette.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by musicmike927
That takes care of one variable.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Glasshole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what they mean by fake is say a small block car that has been changed to a big block and called original or a non FI car that has been changed to an FI car and called original, etc. etc. I'm sure they will all have been made by Chevy.

Bob
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,760 Likes on 820 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
Worth the money? Forget about numbers matching BS. Forget about original engine. That's the first thing to forget if you want your money's worth.

The next thing I would investigate is whether or not the car had birdcage rust. Look for signs of leaky windshields and rotten A pillars.

Check the body underneath. A "no hit" or "lightly hit" body is worth a premium to me. There's other ways to tell but that's the short version.

Last major I'd worry about is a rusty frame at the back ends of the frame side rails.

If you don't understand any of this, ask or do a search. There's plenty of information in the archives.
MikeM is pretty much on the money. A good NOM car is as much fun as a totally correct car and carries with it none of the bigger dollar issues associated with the former. A good NOM car for the right money limits your downside, too. Just watch for the structural issues that have been alluded to. Drivetrains are nickels and dimes compared to what you will have to pay if you don't screen out rusty birdcages and banged up bodied cars.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 02-24-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:54 PM
vetzs
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want "Agreed Value". NOT "stated value" Big difference when it comes to the car getting in an accident. Lots of input on this when you do a search on this forum. Good luck on finding the right car for you.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with MikeM on the nom driver, I got 1, well actually 2, but I drive the 64 everyday. Great car, easy to work on. In this economy, I think you can find a decent driver for 25-30k, be Patient, they are out there
Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by musicmike927

I looked up how to spot birdcage rust. If you had a serios buyer looking at your mid-year would you take off any panels for him or remove the glove box? ... im just assuming that these guys arent going to let that fly when they see a 16 year old looking at their car.

Im still going to do my best to find someone willing to help me out there. but gaining as much knoledge on my own cant hurt... by the way i posted pics of my GTO on my profile page. Hopefulling in a few months i will have some up of a corvette.
Doubtful. Now if you showed up, inspected, drove it, stayed interested, had a certified check and said "I love the car I just want you to remove a couple of things so I can be 100% sure....."....then probably. If they were easy things to remove and put back.

The experiences I have found (and they are not many or universal) are that if someone who has taken care of their car (and loves it like most of us do) is going to be helpful for the right buyer.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike, how's your search going so far? I know it's tough, but hang in there..."your" car is out there...and you're young enough to probably find it!

Quick Reply: Questions about buying a 63-64