C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's up with eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

ebay ruined itself in it`s quest to become Amazon. I search (new) Corvette parts everyday and have grown tired of seeing jewelery, clothing and other NON Corvette parts listed, you used to be able to search minus certain keywords but even the search is limited to 100 characters, all they (ebay) cares about are the fees.....period. anyone have a better idea??
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter1951
Their new version SUCKS!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM
postalpete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like Corvette Central has their whole catalog listed. Couple of years a go you could look through a couple hundred items of good used and NOS parts and now it is just a retail store full of re-pop crap.
We all know how to use a retail catalog on line or print, so why? Because ebay and retailers are making money from the listings. Unfortunate bottom line.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM
lspencer534
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
My guess is that one search includes the items in eBay stores, and the other (smaller) search does not. However, I don't understand how to search for "C2" parts as you have been doing.

When I go to the "Advanced Search" screen, it ultimately will ask me what words to include in my search. Are you searching for the word "C2"? How does eBay know which parts fit a "C2" unless the seller puts that term into his title or description text? Currently the eBay parts "category" choices do not include one called "C2".

I am not trying to be a smart-*** here. I really don't understand what you're doing to create this search.

p.s. - I do know that eBay has a separate category for 1963 - 1967 Corvette vehicles. I can do a category search through the eBay Motors Site Map for all "C2 (1963 - 1967) Corvette vehicles".
The same page that allows you to search for 1963-1967 Corvette vehicles has a listing got 1963-1967 parts. (Click 'Corvette' under autos) If I click that, only about 400 parts appear.

I did have a link for 63,1963,64,1964,65,1965,66,1966,67,1967C orvette parts and accessories that brought up over 12,000 parts. Now, when I use that link, only 6,000 parts appear. The page that appears using the old link has a new look, so eBay has obviously changed the link.

How many parts come up when you search?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 AM
nw50
Advanced

Hey 1STTexan two of my favorite quotes for you.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson.

and if you like a little Latin..."Arma Tuentur Pacem"

These are two rules I live by.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 AM
jbalch
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really liked the old version of Ebay and the method of searching for parts was easier. I wanted one search that would give me all of the 65-67 parts. After some experimenting, I went to Ebay Motors, then to parts and accessories and typed in: (1965,65,1966,66,1967,67) (Corvette) and I received about the same number of parts as before, about 5,000. If you want more years included, add them to the first set of parenthesis.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
My guess is that one search includes the items in eBay stores, and the other (smaller) search does not. However, I don't understand how to search for "C2" parts as you have been doing.

When I go to the "Advanced Search" screen, it ultimately will ask me what words to include in my search. Are you searching for the word "C2"? How does eBay know which parts fit a "C2" unless the seller puts that term into his title or description text? Currently the eBay parts "category" choices do not include one called "C2".

I am not trying to be a smart-*** here. I really don't understand what you're doing to create this search.

p.s. - I do know that eBay has a separate category for 1963 - 1967 Corvette vehicles. I can do a category search through the eBay Motors Site Map for all "C2 (1963 - 1967) Corvette vehicles".
I go to -parts- chevrolet and then 1963-67 corvettes.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

I think all you can do is PayPal now, & I don't use it. I've given-up on E-Bay too. I used to buy a lot of stuff on there & sell some too.

Yep, they changed things until they finally got it all wrong. Dumbasses.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Silverblue64
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chambered
I think all you can do is PayPal now, & I don't use it. I've given-up on E-Bay too. I used to buy a lot of stuff on there & sell some too.

Yep, they changed things until they finally got it all wrong. Dumbasses.

I quit using ebay when they went to that mandatory paypal crap.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Quit whining...its not that far back (before Al Gore blessed us with the information highway) that you either had to:

a) have a personal Rolodex of acquaintances with parts, and/or,
b) devote your life to cruising local swap meets and commuting back and forth to Carlisle, and/or,
c) call (yes with an actual phone) to order parts from some shady vendor or other whose parts might have been banged out by Omar in Burnt Mattress, Egypt..

to keep your classic car on the road and in good running order.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 555 Likes on 448 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Quit whining...its not that far back (before Al Gore blessed us with the information highway) that you either had to:

a) have a personal Rolodex of acquaintances with parts, and/or,
b) devote your life to cruising local swap meets and commuting back and forth to Carlisle, and/or,
c) call (yes with an actual phone) to order parts from some shady vendor or other whose parts might have been banged out by Omar in Burnt Mattress, Egypt..

to keep your classic car on the road and in good running order.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
1966 L72
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Memories are short.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue64

I quit using ebay when they went to that mandatory paypal crap.
PayPal sent me a message that I need to be verified because I had reached my 10K spending limit. They wanted me to send them my banking information, and until I do, I could no longer use PayPal, which means no more Ebay also. I wrote them back and told them they have a better chance of being struck by lightning, than me giving them my banking info. The 10K I have spent with PayPal and Ebay, without a problem, and my 100% feedback, should be enough to verify me. That was over a year ago, and I will never do business with those idiot's again.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 555 Likes on 448 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
PayPal sent me a message that I need to be verified because I had reached my 10K spending limit. They wanted me to send them my banking information, and until I do, I could no longer use PayPal, which means no more Ebay also. I wrote them back and told them they have a better chance of being struck by lightning, than me giving them my banking info. The 10K I have spent with PayPal and Ebay, without a problem, and my 100% feedback, should be enough to verify me. That was over a year ago, and I will never do business with those idiot's again.

The verification allows you to deposit $$$ within your paypal account. The thing I do not like about ebay and paypal are the charges. Paypal takes a percentage when someone pays you with paypal. It used to be the buyer would pay the postal service for a charge getting a money order. Now, the seller pays because of Paypal. It does not seem right though it is convenient for the seller and the buyer when it comes to handling the transactions.

Now, I do remember I sold some parts and ebay sent me a nasty email when I accidently type will accept money orders. You can always ask if the seller if he will accept credit card or money orders. Though, realize some people are shady.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

I used to always buy my stuff with either a company check, or a money order if required - I was never in a hurry with my E-Bay purchases. I simply don't trust PayPal - it just feels like too much government control & red tape to me. If it feels like that, then there's someting evil to it - just my opinion.

I recently bid on some new vacuum attachments for an older model Rainbow - it was buy it now. I made the bid & contacted the seller, & he would NOT accept a check or even a regular charge card - "PayPal only." I basically told him to byte me, I don't do PayPal. It killed the sale. His loss. I wonder if the A-Holes at Ebay are getting the message yet???
Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chambered
I used to always buy my stuff with either a company check, or a money order if required - I was never in a hurry with my E-Bay purchases. I simply don't trust PayPal - it just feels like too much government control & red tape to me. If it feels like that, then there's someting evil to it - just my opinion.

I recently bid on some new vacuum attachments for an older model Rainbow - it was buy it now. I made the bid & contacted the seller, & he would NOT accept a check or even a regular charge card - "PayPal only." I basically told him to byte me, I don't do PayPal. It killed the sale. His loss. I wonder if the A-Holes at Ebay are getting the message yet???
Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
John Meissinger
Instructor

Default Ebay

I have been selling weekly on ebay since 2-2002, I havent liked any of the changes they have made, I seem to get used to them though, the fees are getting out of hand, when I sell I take any type of payment, my pay pal fees in 2009 were a little over $8400.00......ouch, I would rather sell on ebay then out of the Driveline or hemmings the part will bring what its worth that day the buyers are happy when they set the price, when I give a price 50% of the time they dont like it. I have taken in over a million dollars with paypal and have never had a problem......if somthing goes wrong with the transaction paypal will help the buyer, I like a low starting price $9.95 and NO RESERVE, I would like to see sellers use the complete name as there seller ID. I wonder when ebay will start reporting to the IRS using a 1099 or somthing similar, Im sure there is alot of unreported income from ebay (more power to them) ......................as always BBW......Thanks JOHN

Get notified of new replies

To What's up with eBay?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
shooter1951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Meissinger
I have been selling weekly on ebay since 2-2002, I havent liked any of the changes they have made, I seem to get used to them though, the fees are getting out of hand, when I sell I take any type of payment, my pay pal fees in 2009 were a little over $8400.00......ouch, I would rather sell on ebay then out of the Driveline or hemmings the part will bring what its worth that day the buyers are happy when they set the price, when I give a price 50% of the time they dont like it. I have taken in over a million dollars with paypal and have never had a problem......if somthing goes wrong with the transaction paypal will help the buyer, I like a low starting price $9.95 and NO RESERVE, I would like to see sellers use the complete name as there seller ID. I wonder when ebay will start reporting to the IRS using a 1099 or somthing similar, Im sure there is alot of unreported income from ebay (more power to them) ......................as always BBW......Thanks JOHN
DANG JOHN, A MILLION BUCKS THAT'S A SH**POT LOAD OF NUTS AND BOLTS!! GOOD FOR YOU!!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Famester
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
That may have been a fishing (pfishing (sp) email.
I never respond to those.
I had a bank account open to confirm my paypal account.
Completely separate account with only $5 in it.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Famester
That may have been a fishing (pfishing (sp) email.
I never respond to those.
I had a bank account open to confirm my paypal account.
Completely separate account with only $5 in it.
Its "phishing" and I have had a few of those PayPal bogus emails...do NOT provide any login/password or personal information to such an email....even if it gives you a web site link to enter it....such a web site is a sham and collects your keystrokes..

Quick Reply: What's up with eBay?