C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 on C4 frame ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Canute
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering its reputation for squeaks and rattles it seems to me that the C4 body might be a bit under reinforced?
Actually, I was just reading a recent article in one of the magazines that some company is able to put C2 derived body panels and interior on a C4 body?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:15 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxrxrnr
Local guy had this 65 Corvair that he thought was a bit underpowered. Found a Jaguar V12 engine and put in the front with rear wheel drive. Closing the hood it would hit the induction system from the Jag engine, so he replaced the carb system with 2 injection systems from Buick V-6 engine. No room for air conditioning compressor so he placed a stock GM compressor (same type as on C2/3 Corvettes at the rear axle and drove it with a belt running off the torque converter.
I remember that car. It was smooth running and no noisier than a stock Corvair. To handle the V12 torque, I recall that he tracked down a heavy-duty IRS rear-end assembly from one of the twelve '63 Tempest 421 Super Duty drag cars. Don't remember if his trans was behind the engine, but there wasn't much space left. Probably installed on the rear axle as 'Vairs and Tempests were originally equipped, thus a HD 4-speed.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 PM
dazvet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canute
Considering its reputation for squeaks and rattles it seems to me that the C4 body might be a bit under reinforced?
Actually, I was just reading a recent article in one of the magazines that some company is able to put C2 derived body panels and interior on a C4 body?
I saw that and it looked very nice, they were using the 63 split window body. Anyone remember what magazine it was in I wanted to take another look and couldn't find it.

Quick Reply: C2 on C4 frame ? ?