C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Disc brake upgrade master cylinder questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:56 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

During the 70`s and 80`s it was the most usual break system with disc brakes in the front and drum brakes in rear.And it still is on many cars.

To be sure i will phone VanSteel, Wiicox, Paragon, Ecklers one of the major suppliers because all of them are selling dick brake convertion kits.

Have a look at this site:
http://www.piratejack.net/Tech-Suppo...gurations.html

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-17-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Not as easy as thought

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-17-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
"The question is will the increased length of the dual m/c clear the '64 hood when mounted on the power booster?"

NO, the hood will not clear the master cylinder shown. The HOOD will clear, but the associated underhood fiberglas bracing will hit the master cylinder, and keep the hood from closing. Therefore I (blasphemy) cut a piece out of the hood support bracing to allow the hood to close on my 63 Z06.....figuring it is better to have a car that stops than a perfectly original car. My original master cylinder was stolen when it failed internally, and I let someone have posession of it to sleeve and repair it. (63 and 64 hoods have underhood support bracing, 67 does not).
I am going to use the dual master cyl. Already have the 4 wheel discs. But I am not adding the power booster. I don't feel the need for the power personaly. It also keeps me from having to modify my original hood.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 01-17-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Famester
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1964 master cyl hood clearance

We put a small shim between the top bracket on the power booster and the firewall on my 64. This angled the master cylinder (dual bowl 1967 type) slightly downward thereby clearing the hood and no modifications were made to the hood.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Famester
We put a small shim between the top bracket on the power booster and the firewall on my 64. This angled the master cylinder (dual bowl 1967 type) slightly downward thereby clearing the hood and no modifications were made to the hood.
I have heard something to that effect. How thick was the shim?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Famester
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default measurement

.18 of an inch, give or take .01
I had to go out there and measure the distance from the firewall to the back of the bracket
Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Will the hood not close with power steering booster and dual master cylinder?
Been checking on parts to see what the suppliers says about that.

This is what Eclers says about Corvette power brake master cylinder & booster combo:
NOTE: Will Not Fit 1963 With Original Hood Without Modification To The Hood.

Corvette Central says:
Note: The booster in this kit may not clear the stock 63-64 hood. The 65-67 stock hood has a notch in the hood frame to clear power brake boosters.

Corvette America just shows a picture of the booster and dual master cylinder and says nothing about if it fits or not.

Willcox says nothing about if the master cylinder will touch the hood. Picture of the convertion kit below. All i need is the proportioning valve.
I have all the parts exept the proportioning valve.

I just spoke to Willcox Corvette and they said that i just should copy everything fom a 1967 Corvette.

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-19-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

On my 1963 Z06 coupe, with power brakes, the later disc brake dual master cylinder when mounted on the power brake booster required some trimming of the stock fiberglas internal hood surround (not the hood) in order to fit and allow the hood to close.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
On my 1963 Z06 coupe, with power brakes, the later disc brake dual master cylinder when mounted on the power brake booster required some trimming of the stock fiberglas internal hood surround (not the hood) in order to fit and allow the hood to close.
The "Surround" is part of the hood framing structure. Modifying,unless done very well. The modified area reglassed etc..Will look wrong and hurt the value of the hood.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Will the hood not close with power steering booster and dual master cylinder?
Been checking on parts to see what the suppliers says about that.

This is what Eclers says about Corvette power brake master cylinder & booster combo:
NOTE: Will Not Fit 1963 With Original Hood Without Modification To The Hood.

Corvette Central says:
Note: The booster in this kit may not clear the stock 63-64 hood. The 65-67 stock hood has a notch in the hood frame to clear power brake boosters.

Corvette America just shows a picture of the booster and dual master cylinder and says nothing about if it fits or not.

Willcox says nothing about if the master cylinder will touch the hood. Picture of the convertion kit below. All i need is the proportioning valve.
I have all the parts exept the proportioning valve.

Just spoke to Willcox Corvette and they said that i just should copy everything fom a 1967 Corvette.
Omission by Corvette America is something to be wary of. If they don't specifically say, Fits your 63 hood. Don't expect it to.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:59 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

There got to be some suppliers that have a booster bracket that makes the dual master cylinder point a little more downwards instead of upwards?
A bracket like that would solve the problem

If you have a look of the picture above if the booster and dual master cylinder had that angle as on the pic when mounted on the car there would be no problem with the hood. Maybe you can adjust the bracket a little and eliminate the problem with the master cylinder touching the hood?

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-19-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,183 Likes on 489 Posts

Maybe irrelevant, but this does not appear to be a C2/C3 brake kit. The calipers appear to be single piston. Maybe a C1 conversion?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

There got to be some suppliers that have a booster bracket that makes the dual master cylinder point a little more downwards instead of upwards?
A bracket like that would solve the problem

If you have a look of the picture above if the booster and dual master cylinder had that angle as on the pic when mounted on the car there would be no problem with the hood. Maybe you can adjust the bracket a little and eliminate the problem with the master cylinder touching the hood?
Look to the installation of a ~0.2" shim at the top of the firewall mount. See another thread in this forum on this matter.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It might be for a C1 but i have been following this converion sets and the first sets that came was with calipers with single pistons.
Suppose now they are original rebuilt calipers from 67 up to 77 i think.

Originally Posted by toddalin
Maybe irrelevant, but this does not appear to be a C2/C3 brake kit. The calipers appear to be single piston. Maybe a C1 conversion?

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-23-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been serching and reading about wich proportioning valve to use when i am converting to disc brakes at the front of my car.
So this proportioning valve is the one Ecklers use on the disc brake convertion set to change to disc brakes front and drums rear.

I wonder if the nuts/holes is on the frame on my car for attaching the proportioning valve bracket?
I suppose it really does not matter since i most likely convert the rear drum brakes to disc brakes as well.

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-22-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

I have been serching and reading about wich proportioning valve to use when i am converting to disc brakes at the front of my car.
So this proportioning valve is the one Ecklers use on the disc brake convertion set to change to disc brakes front and drums rear.

I wonder if the nuts/holes is on the frame on my car for attaching the proportioning valve bracket?
I suppose it really does not matter since i most likely convert the rear drum brakes to disc brakes as well.
If this is a proportioning valve, it does not appear to be adjustable so will compromise the system as you cannot optimize it to the weight distribution of your vehicle. Therefore, it had better be designed specifically for a '63-'64 Corvette to get it close.

Looks like the regular combination valve to me though. Maybe that nut on the bottom is the adjustment? Best to be sure.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Have a look at this linkand read what they say. They say it goes from 63 to 66. Part number A9186
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...&dept_id=1037#

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Disc brake upgrade master cylinder questions

Old 01-23-2010, 12:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

That's NOT a proportioning valve - it's simply a distribution block, containing the differential pressure warning switch used on '67-up cars. I don't think anyone at Eckler's would know what any part of a brake system was if it smacked them in the face.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Have a look at this linkand read what they say. They say it goes from 63 to 66. Part number A9186
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...&dept_id=1037#
Eckler's notes:

"This Corvette reproduction brake proportioning valve has been manufactured to original factory specifications using today's modern manufacturing techniques."

Makes me wonder as there were no "original factory specifications" for this piece to be used on '63-'64, or probably whatever other years they note.

I'm not saying that it won't do what they claim, but again, I would take a long hard look at what I was getting as opposed to what it is advertised as doing.

Last edited by toddalin; 01-23-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I am sure that you are right toddalin so i might go for disc at the rear as well. Came over a set of complete trailing arms here in Norway yesterday. Need to replace the bearings and paint the parts.

No way i am going to cut the hood surround of my car. There got to be a way to do this without doing any cutting to the car.

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-23-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 64 Disc brake upgrade master cylinder questions