C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield weatherstriping gaps after installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Hitch
I'm going to see if a Pilkington windshield fits first and then fixing what I have will be plan B. The joys of **** poor parts. I guess I'll be fixing my dad's while I'm at it.. Thanks guys. I'll provide an update later this week when I get the Pilkington glass.

Dave
Thats what I have in mine is a Pilkington and no problemo, ropes right in. Just be sure to juice up the w/strip real good. I used liquid dishwashing soap and good luck.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtopman
Thats what I have in mine is a Pilkington and no problemo, ropes right in. Just be sure to juice up the w/strip real good. I used liquid dishwashing soap and good luck.
Well I installed the Pilkington windshield today and guess what.. It's even bigger than the PPG.. So I guess tomorrow I will be sourcing the silcone carbide belts so I can reduce the size of the PPG so it will fit properly.

Dave
Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Well boys and girls I have the windshield in now and it fits how it should. After two windshields and three weatherstripping gaskets I have it in. The glass was not the problem, I made templates of both and also compared them to a third windshield and they all were reasonably close to the same size. I then observed a friend putting a windshield in another midyear and his method was about the same as what I was doing so it wasn't an installation error. I then ordered the same gasket as he was using and it went right in. So two gaskets from Paragon and LIC and the one that worked was from ZIP. Third time is the charm.. Thanks to Wayne for letting me peak over his shoulder while he put a windshield in a Customer's car.

I laid the bedding glaze 08509 in the frame and will be using the 08633 tomorrow once I get the pump to seal the glass to the gasket. Thanks to Ragtop man too for the information on the 3M products.
Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 06:39 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,
Do you know who manufactured the gaskets?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Dave - I was finally painting parts and missed your call yesterday but I can tell by your voice you were happy! Congrats! Now for the messy part. Talk to you this week.

M
Old 01-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by R1234
Dave,
Do you know who manufactured the gaskets?
Thanks
I don't know to be honest but I will be calling all three vendors tomorrow to discuss this. I should not have to buy 3 to get 1 good one.

Mike, good to hear that you are moving along. I hope to get up there and see your progress soon. Call me this week as I will hope to be working in town this week.

Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I replaced the windshield with new windshield gaskets etc last year. I went with LI corvette stuff for the whole installation. I found that I could not install the windshield without removing the lower trim no matter what I tried. I think the new gasket is thicker than the old one. The replacement clips that hold the lower trim on did not hold. I had to use some of the oem clips, and even then I had to beat the lower trim on with a hammer and a block of wood. After all that, the damn thing still leaks. I'll try again next year.

Gerry
Old 01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mossy66
I replaced the windshield with new windshield gaskets etc last year. I went with LI corvette stuff for the whole installation. I found that I could not install the windshield without removing the lower trim no matter what I tried. I think the new gasket is thicker than the old one. The replacement clips that hold the lower trim on did not hold. I had to use some of the oem clips, and even then I had to beat the lower trim on with a hammer and a block of wood. After all that, the damn thing still leaks. I'll try again next year.

Gerry
Gerry, as for the leaks. When you installed the windshield did you put it in dry or did you lay the bedding and glazing compound in the frame. Then put the windshield and rubber in? Lastly did you use the Window weld flow grade between the glass and the rubber?

As for the clips yes they can be a real bear!

Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Gerry, as for the leaks. When you installed the windshield did you put it in dry or did you lay the bedding and glazing compound in the frame. Then put the windshield and rubber in? Lastly did you use the Window weld flow grade between the glass and the rubber?

Dave
I bought a tube of 3M 08509 bedding and glazing compound, black and a tube of 3M 08505 Fast'n Firm seam sealer, Beige.

I used the glazing compound where it would contact the glass, and the seam sealer on the windshield weatherstrip to car joint on the lower forward side. However, like you, I had the windshield in and out a few times because I was trying to get the lower trim in place. Now after 3 times the patience was wearing bit thin. Those lower molding clips have a small gasket that is there to seal the joint so no water gets down the screw hole. Imagine cleaning out that bedding compound to get to the clip screws, to put the oem clips in place to try again. I figured that I didn't need the gaskets because of all the rest of the goo that was there.

I think I ended up with nothing between the glass and weatherstrip. and nothing between the weatherstrip and car except for lubricant (I used electricians wire pulling lube). I did smooth out the surface between the weatherstrip and car on the forward surface with that seam sealer thinking that the windshield weatherstrip would seal better on a smooth surface.

Now, I still have a leak on the drivers side and a smaller leak on the passenger side, but I haven't yet checked to see if it's actually coming in through the windshield or somewhere through the cowl vents.

Gerry
Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Lastly did you use the Window weld flow grade between the glass and the rubber?

Dave
Looking at the car right now, the gasket/glass edge is in plain view on the interior of the car. If it was leaking between the glass and rubber, you would be able to see it pretty clearly on the inside of the car. I doubt this would be a leak path if the rubber is laying down flat against the glass, but you could check and see before applying the window weld.

Gerry

Last edited by Mossy66; 01-24-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Well, since I'm not doing anything productive, but drinking beer in the garage, I'll try to determine if the leak is coming from the windshield or somewhere else. Stand by, I have to go pee.

Gerry
Old 01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't know to be honest but I will be calling all three vendors tomorrow to discuss this. I should not have to buy 3 to get 1 good one.
Dave
Corvette Rubber makes the best fitting windshield gaskets IMO. I believe that is what most of the vendors are selling. If you do check it out, let us know if you got something different that caused you a problem. Glad you got the glass in to your liking finally. Pilot Dan
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

OK, I'm back. Yep, it's the windshield that leaks. It's not leaking between the glass and rubber because it's dry inside where the glass and rubber meet. It must be between the rubber and car. It's in the corner, I get water dripping off the hood release handle. I think I'll put some black silicone sealant between the rubber and trim molding for now and deal with it next year.

Gerry
Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Well, since I'm not doing anything productive, but drinking beer in the garage, I'll try to determine if the leak is coming from the windshield or somewhere else. Stand by, I have to go pee.

Gerry
I like the way you think! lol.. To cold for beer in NC but I did have a nice glass of Jim Beam Black Label after I got done yesterday! I have to get the gun for the 06833 Window weld flow grade before I can do the wet test... LOL
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Corvette Rubber makes the best fitting windshield gaskets IMO. I believe that is what most of the vendors are selling. If you do check it out, let us know if you got something different that caused you a problem. Glad you got the glass in to your liking finally. Pilot Dan
I agree, but I thought I was getting a CR gasket from LIC and Paragon.. As always when I find a problem I try to let everyone know so they don't go through my frustration.. I've spent about 3 weeks messing with this stupid thing..
Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Hitch
Race Director

OK, I'm back. Yep, it's the windshield that leaks. It's not leaking between the glass and rubber because it's dry inside where the glass and rubber meet. It must be between the rubber and car. It's in the corner, I get water dripping off the hood release handle. I think I'll put some black silicone sealant between the rubber and trim molding for now and deal with it next year.

Gerry
Gerry, if you didn't use the bedding and glazing compound on the frame I would suspect that is where the problem could be. Those lower corners is what was causing me so many problems..
Old 01-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Gerry, if you didn't use the bedding and glazing compound on the frame I would suspect that is where the problem could be. Those lower corners is what was causing me so many problems..
Well, it would seem that if the water is coming in the lower corner like that, it is coming through one of the screw holes for the lower trim retainer clips, or I have read that there is a seam there. Actually, there has to be a seam there between the metal of the window frame and the fiberglass in front of the windshield. That is why I put the seam sealer there, and I'm pretty sure I sealed it up water tight.

If you use the bedding between the rubber and the frame, I don't think it would cover this area unless you covered the area at the bottom of the window channel extending forward past the clips to the seam. Like I said, I think I covered the seam pretty well with seam sealer, but I was messing with those stupid clips taking the trim off and on several times that maybe I lost the seal at the clip screw.

Well, I guess it wouldn't be factory correct if it didn't leak!

Gerry

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield weatherstriping gaps after installation

Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

I agree, but I thought I was getting a CR gasket from LIC and Paragon.. As always when I find a problem I try to let everyone know so they don't go through my frustration.. I've spent about 3 weeks messing with this stupid thing..
Dave - how about over a month! Least you are moving forward again!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Great Job

Congrats Dave, Don't you just hate it when a rubber don't fit

Earl
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Hitch
Race Director