C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield weatherstriping gaps after installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Hitch
With the flow grade will it stay so soft that when cleaning the windshield after it sets? Also is there a way to get the weatherstripping to pull back so it seats better? Or will I have to pull the windshield again? Thanks

Dave
Cured flow grade will resemble, lets say, soft chewed gum. Are you using an old w/strip?? If you are and a thicker windshield has/had came out of it somewhere in the past, you will need to get a new windshield w/strip if you really want it to seal up.

Example: A 1972 Chevy truck, the windshield in those trucks when they were brand new were almost 1/2" thick. Fast forward 15 years after living in the sun all its life. the gasket is hard and you want a new windshield installed. A new windshield is now probably 1/4" thick. You can install the windshield in the gasket but you will never get the old gasket to seat to the new windshield let alone be able to seal it up. Smell what I am stepping in if I am understanding you correctly??

Sealing the windshield is all done with the glass installed and having the stainless off will make it easier. I have installed rubber set windshields and applied a ribbon of 08509 bedding compound to the gasket and then roped it in, but it makes a huge mess and you dont get as good a seal if you were to just install the windshield and then cut a medium size tip in the 08509 and shove it down between the w/strip and windshield frame and pump it in until it starts coming back up at you and then you can paddle it in with either your finger or a plastic windshield installation tool(the 08509 does not get hard).
Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

After looking at this pic. I smell what your steppin in now. Providing that nothing is wrong with the windshield frame, I would get a new gasket. This is my windshield and gasket. Its a Pilkington and a Corvette Rubber gasket. Once I seal it up and install the moulding and the sunlight does it's thing, it should be jam up jelly tight. I took one with flash and one without.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Well I think that I have determined that the glass is two big. It's a PPG glass so does anyone have a recommendation to what has worked? Is the Pilkington the same as PPG? Thanks..

Dave
Old 01-09-2010, 06:29 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Well I think that I have determined that the glass is two big. It's a PPG glass so does anyone have a recommendation to what has worked? Is the Pilkington the same as PPG? Thanks..

Dave
In my post,#2,that's what I was assuming. On my rear glass,after several Pilkington, and PPG,I believe, I finally got one that fit very good the first time. It was OEM glass. Believe it came from CC. OEMglass.net

Last edited by skids; 01-09-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by skids
In my post,#2,that's what I was assuming. On my rear glass,after several Pilkington, and PPG,I believe, I finally got one that fit very good the first time. It was OEM glass. Believe it came from CC. OEMglass.net
Yep it appears you are correct, I should have listened earlier. I spent the better part of the day messing with this. BigEarl gave me a lot of suggestions and unfortunately none of them worked. So I pulled the glass again. I laid the glass in there without the weatherstripping and it was quite obvious that in the corners the glass is to big.

I installed the glass again with a different weatherstripping since I had it. Same result. I guess I'll be ordering ANOTHER windshield. I'm ready to put this thing back together so I can drive it again.. I'm going thru withdrawls!!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds very frustrating Dave, one step forward and two steps back. You do all that work, spend money on new parts, and the aftermarket parts don't fit properly. I know you're ready to get the mighty mouse back.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jeff Garner
Sounds very frustrating Dave, one step forward and two steps back. You do all that work, spend money on new parts, and the aftermarket parts don't fit properly. I know you're ready to get the mighty mouse back.
Yeah you sure are right. I want to get the interior back together so I can drive the 66. I like the Cobra but the 66 is where I like to be.

Once I get the windshield set properly I can move one to putting the interior back in and get this ole girl back on the road! It was good seeing you last week BTW.

Once it warms up William and you need to come see me so you guys can take the Cobra out!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Sorry to hear about that Dave... I was hoping after seeing it that the gasket could have been rolled more to the outside as you hoped.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Is there anyway that I can remove some of the glass by sanding it with a belt sander?

Dave
Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

I used Pilkington glass last spring and it fit just fine. I purchased it locally from a wholesaler for ~$99. Got the weatherstriping/clips/screws from Paragon. Was not my favorite job in fact probably my least favorite job I've done on the Vette.

Here is write up for those thinking of tackling windshield replacement ==> Click Here

Good Luck Dave

George

Last edited by Black_Magic; 01-10-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Hitch
Race Director

George, from reading your write up it appears we both have had some trials and tribulations to get our glass set in properly.

Something to add I made up a soap solution and forced it into the glass lip and the lip for the birdcage. I did this so that I could slap the glass and move it around once I had the glass installed. It allowed me to determine that no matter how much I beat on it that the glass was to big and the weatherstripping would not lay down right.

The bedding / glaze is a mess for sure, it does clean up nicely if you get some of the adhesive remover from 3M though.

I guess I'll have a reprieve from the 66 today until Monday when I can see if I can get a Pilkington windshield.

Dave
Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Is there anyway that I can remove some of the glass by sanding it with a belt sander?

Dave
Yes, believe it or not. You already have a belt sander?? Either check your local friendly glass shop and see if they will sell you some 80g(will remove material very fast)belts and some spray can lubricant. If not, you can check www.crlaurence.com and see what it would take to get a couple of belts and lube. I can post up a picture of a sanding belt if you need also. If nobody knows what to use for the lube, you can also use water but it has to be continuously sprayed on.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by ragtopman
Yes, believe it or not. You already have a belt sander?? Either check your local friendly glass shop and see if they will sell you some 80g(will remove material very fast)belts and some spray can lubricant. If not, you can check www.crlaurence.com and see what it would take to get a couple of belts and lube. I can post up a picture of a sanding belt if you need also. If nobody knows what to use for the lube, you can also use water but it has to be continuously sprayed on.
Thanks, Yep got a belt sander that I use for my wood project and I believe that I have some 80 and up grit belts. That maybe the route I have to take.Is there any concern about the laminate and sanding? Also will I need to polish the edge when I get done for it to not cause any problems with the clarity of the glass in the areas that I sand the edge?

Dave
Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Thanks, Yep got a belt sander that I use for my wood project and I believe that I have some 80 and up grit belts. That maybe the route I have to take.Is there any concern about the laminate and sanding? Also will I need to polish the edge when I get done for it to not cause any problems with the clarity of the glass in the areas that I sand the edge?

Dave
But do you have glass sanding belts?????? When you sand it, do so in a rocking moting so as to catch the edge a bit 1st, then the edge. Keeping the belt lubricated will keep the 'clams' small when using the 80g belt because its very agressive. You may want to look into a 180g belt, it may take a bit longer, but a bit gentler. No need to polish the edge cause it will be down inside the rubber. If you want a picture of a belt, let me know and I will be standing by for your reply so you can be moving forward on this today.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Ah see in my quick reading of you post I missed the part about "glass" sanding belts. I'll have to look for some locally tomorrow. If you have a pic of the belts handy it would be nice to see what it looks like. Thanks

Dave
Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Ah see in my quick reading of you post I missed the part about "glass" sanding belts. I'll have to look for some locally tomorrow. If you have a pic of the belts handy it would be nice to see what it looks like. Thanks

Dave
Yes, you need glass sanding belts. Dont forget the spray lubricant for them also, DO NOT SAND DRY!! A picture will be coming up in the next post or 2 for you.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

The picture is of 2 80g belts. Inside of the 1 it says 'sil carbide cloth'. What they are actually made of, that I dont know. Like I said, the lubricant will keep the belt cool cause if it gets to hot, crack. If you have an old windshield or can get one, even a piece of laminated glass, practice 1st. I personally think you can do it after looking at some of the things you have done so far. Just keep that belt lubricated. As the belt wears, especially if you use a 180g, it will make a nicer edge.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield weatherstriping gaps after installation

Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

The picture is of 2 80g belts. Inside of the 1 it says 'sil carbide cloth'. What they are actually made of, that I dont know.
"Sil carbide" would be silicon carbide, I would suspect.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
"Sil carbide" would be silicon carbide, I would suspect.

My thoughts also, but I would hate to see somebody go out and get some other type of sanding belt because I said silicon carbide and try it and waste a $100. + windshield. That would probably make me cry.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Hitch
Race Director

My thoughts also, but I would hate to see somebody go out and get some other type of sanding belt because I said silicon carbide and try it and waste a $100. + windshield. That would probably make me cry.
I'm going to see if a Pilkington windshield fits first and then fixing what I have will be plan B. The joys of **** poor parts. I guess I'll be fixing my dad's while I'm at it.. Thanks guys. I'll provide an update later this week when I get the Pilkington glass.

Dave

Quick Reply: Windshield weatherstriping gaps after installation