C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A '65 Corvette stolen in '70 is recovered!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Walkingtall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me about 15 years ago on a Sat. morning. A German man here in USA/SC on a temp Visa, ran a red light, speeding, etc and rammed his Hertz rental Caddy into my '71 'Vette. He hit me in left front wheel/door and drove me into another car. Police wrote him all kinds of tickets and HELD his passport until paid and my claim settled.

Hertz adjuster had my car as a tolal loss as did my adjustor. Hertz wanted to write me a check so the guy could go home. I refused the low offer and said no. Finally, they upped the offer (I'm at the body shop where 'Vette was towed) and I agreed to the amount.

I got the title to the 'Vette out of my coat and told the hertz guy "here is the title.." He said: "I don't want the damn title nor the car.." He signed a release form etc. and I kept the money and the wrecked 'Vette, which I later sold as is. Came out OK on that one.

Terry
Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I love reading about family renunions and finding long lost family members... :-)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I wonder if I should cancel my insurance in case this happens.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I have a friend who had his 67 Vette stolen. It was paid off by the insurance company. It was discovered in a garage over two years later. The insurance co gave him "first right of refusal" He got it back with a hard top (he had the original in his garage) and a different engine. He had to pay them their money back plus interest.
As for the buyer being out of luck. I was under the impression that he would sue the previous owner, and he would sue the guy he bought it from etc.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:38 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
i'm not sure that an officer just verifying the VIN protects you in any way unless they do a VIN search of whatever national databases are available. he could be, just like in Florida, verifying that the numbers on the papers you are submitting match the number on the vehicle; if so, no protection for you there as you could have a 'clean appearing' title that has been washed many transactions ago...
Actually, the officer did do a search to see if it was stolen when they verified the VIN.

I can say with 100% certanty that this is always 100% correct, but it's the best I can do.

-- Joe
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Cj_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buyers insurance would be nice... when registering my car, had to get the CHP inspection of the vin. But since it sat unregistered since 1983, there was no record of it in the DMV system....

amazed they were able to find the car... I bet there is more than a little interest in going back through the cars history.

Cj
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if your local police dept. will check a VIN prior to purchase ? Or your insurance company ? Who would have access to the NICB ? Why not make it public.

Originally Posted by narlee
I wonder if I should cancel my insurance in case this happens.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

This is something that I have thought about. Sure, thank goodness the guy got his car back 20-30 odd yrs later, but what about the guy sitting on his couch when the police come to his door with a tow truck? Having owned the car for however many years, making improvements and spending money on the thing and away it goes. This is a no-win.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00fxd
This is something that I have thought about. Sure, thank goodness the guy got his car back 20-30 odd yrs later, but what about the guy sitting on his couch when the police come to his door with a tow truck? Having owned the car for however many years, making improvements and spending money on the thing and away it goes. This is a no-win.
Another good reason for never selling your Mid year. If you didn't try to sell it no one would know it was stolen.

Quick Reply: A '65 Corvette stolen in '70 is recovered!