C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Year of manufacture plate saga in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Year of manufacture plate saga in Florida

Well it took me 3 months but I finally got Tallahassee to authorize my 1966 license plate for my car. It was a nightmare and if it wasn’t for a person in the local DMV taking pity on me and helping me get the people in Tallahassee get their act together, it never would have happened.

As a lot of you know, it’s called a year of manufacture plate. I bought an original, unrestored 1966 plate that I liked on e-bay. I filed out the forms, sent in copies of everything (my license, registration, insurance, title, etc) and a check as directed by my local DMV. In spite of my detailed memo explaining exactly what I wanted, Tallahassee issued me a standard ‘antique’ tag and accompanying registration…oh, and they forgot to send a decal so I couldn’t use the plate even if I wanted to. So for two months I’m driving with a plate that is no longer register to my car. Anyway, another local DMV person helped me out by communicating with Tallahassee …something the state does not let me do directly other than by mail and even then it would be to a department not the person actually doing my request. Had to send the original plate (register mail); it got accepted by Tallahassee and immediately lost.. however my second check was cashed. This went on and on.

Anyway, it’s done. The 1966 tag looks super cool and I’m glad I stuck with it… (’66 FL tags were a dark blue and it matches my laguna blue ). Below is the link to the info I used to start this in Florida. If you don’t live close to your state’s capitol to do this in person, befriend someone locally and be real patient. …your request will be processed at the speed of state employees (if you’re lucky).

http://www.thevillagesvintagecarclub...intage_car.htm

Joe
Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Default Only 3 months?

Congratulations on completing that process and obtaining the YOM registration for your car.
I'm pretty sure that FL DMV is like CALIF's DMV. Before you can be hired there, you have to take an IQ test. If you break 40, you are rejected. If you score in the 30s, you can work there. If you score in the 20s, you can be a supervisor, and if you score under 10, you can start immediately as a manager.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Hey Joe, would like to see a pic of the plate....would bring back memories...maybe I should get one for my Laguna Blue '66 (if it ever gets finished)

Congrats on finally getting it done
Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I had a Florida 1961 plate registered in about 6 weeks with zero problems...no doubt I got the person with the IQ over 40.. There are pretty stringent requirements for YOM plates so I was sure to spell everything out very carefully in the letter accompanying the plates...
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 AM
67tripwr
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be going through the same thing in the very near future! Thanks for posting this!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 67tripwr
I will be going through the same thing in the very near future! Thanks for posting this!
If you want a copy of the letter that I used that seemed to work pretty well PM me and I'll email you a copy. My stuff sailed right through Tallahassee....
Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 AM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on getting your tag authenticated.

I went thru the process about a dozen years ago with the '64. At that time I didn't encounter as much BS as you went thru, the biggest problem was getting someone to tell me the correct fee to send to Tallahassee along with the plate.

One problem I have encountered though.....about every 5 years the DMV system say's it's time to replace my old plate, as if it was just a normal tag. For that reason I always go to the Tax Collector's office in person for renewal, armed with all of my documentation.

I also carry all of the documentation in the car. I've been questioned twice (once in-state, once out-of-state) by LEOs regarding the tag.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 AM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in florida too, and I thought about doing the same thing, untill I found out the 65 plates were orange. I don't think that would look too good on a Nassau Blue car.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys... If anyone is interested below is the cover memo I sent (which should have been all I needed to do). Personal info has been changed to protect the innocent ...PM me if you need more info.

At the end, all I needed to do was to send copies of all my legal papers (reg., driver's license, title, insurance, etc) and the actual plate. Also a $53.10 check to cover the registration (I finally got a $7 check back from my original payment of $35.....whatever).

xx/xx/2009

To: Direct Mail and Title Correction Service
Bureau of Title and Registration
Neil Kirkman Building MS #72
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0620

xxxx xxx xxx Street
Miami, FL 33176
Cell: xxx xxx-xxxx

Re: Request to authorize license place for antique car and renew registration

Please accept this request to authorize the use of a year of manufacture license plate on my antique car. Also, please renew my registration.

Car Description:
1966 Chevrolet Corvette
VIN # xxxxx
Title # xxxx
Current FL Tag: xxxxxxx
Current Decal: xxxxxx
Curb Weight: 3500 lb
Insurance is with xxxx xxxxxx, policy xxxxxxxx
Dark Blue, 2-door, convertible

Tag Description:
Tag is an original 1966 Florida Sunshine State tag number xxx xxx
Never has been restored or altered
It is in excellent (like new) condition
It is a dark blue background with white numbers

Driver/Owner Description:
Joseph Hernandez
xxxx xxx xxx Street
Miami, FL 33176
FL Drivers License: xxx-xxx-xx-xxx-x
Male, DOB: xx/xx/xxxx
Cell contact: xxx xxx-xxxx

Enclosed please find copies of:
• FL Driver License
• Insurance cards
• Title
• Registration
• Check made out to Tax Collector in the amount of $35

Thank you

Joseph L. Hernandez
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

7vettes brings up a good point..... what documentation do I need? All I got back was the plate with the little sticker attached and the registration. What else do I need?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Also, for you Florida guys, this is a cool site I found that describes the numbering scheme used on plates and shows examples of most old plates.

http://www.floridalicenseplates.com/faq.php

enjoy....

Joe
Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
I had a Florida 1961 plate registered in about 6 weeks with zero problems...no doubt I got the person with the IQ over 40.. There are pretty stringent requirements for YOM plates so I was sure to spell everything out very carefully in the letter accompanying the plates...
Same here, and was pretty painless. But that was in 2005........

Plasticman
Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Glad you succeeded but I don't understand why some states make such a big deal out getting YOM plates. In Washington, you can walk into any license agency with the your plate, pay $50 and walk out fully registered never having to buy annual tabs again. With YOM plates, you don't even have to run a front plate unless you want to (for everyone else, it's a $110 ticket for no front plate). I have them on 3 cars. I think some states enjoy screwing with you (especially Ca.).

Jim
Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe's66
7vettes brings up a good point..... what documentation do I need? All I got back was the plate with the little sticker attached and the registration. What else do I need?

After "authenticating" it, Tallahassee should have sent your YOM plate back with the yellow registration sticker attached in the top right corner and enclosed the 4x6 registration (waxy paper that the sticker came off of) in the envelope with your plate. Keep this registration with you in the glove box/tray etc.

Supposedly, Tallahassee DMV will decline authenticating any plate that has been altered (ie. restored/repainted), so if you plan on having your 1966 FL plate restored, you'll have to gently remove that reg sticker and reattach it after it comes back from the painter. I have a hard time believing there's anyone employed by FL DMV who could even discern b/n original or restored paint on a 40+ year old license plate anyway, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

You're lucky living in Dade county .. YOM FL plates with county number 1 (1 - XXXX) are a bit easier to find out there.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking427

You're lucky living in Dade county .. YOM FL plates with county number 1 (1 - XXXX) are a bit easier to find out there.
Just for clarification purposes, YOM Florida plates do not have to be the correct county or weight markings. I had my 7W-XXX plate authorized, even though I don't reside in Orange county (indicated by the "7"), and my 62 weighs less than 3500 lbs. (indicated by the "W" for vehicles that weigh 3500-4500 lbs.).

The "correct" plate for my 62, would of been a 47-XXX ("47" indicating Citrus county and no letter for my wgt. class (2500 to 3500 lbs.).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 12-02-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 967 Posts

Default Florida tags

My 66 and 68 vettes have Florida year specific tags. There is a form issued by DMV that must be completed with a letter and sent to Tallahassee. The process took about six weeks. Every five years I get a notice that the tag is expired. A visit to the local tag office clears this up. I have a 70 Chevelle almost ready to be registered with a 70 tag. I will keep you posted. Jerry
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe's66
7vettes brings up a good point..... what documentation do I need?
In addition to my receipts and notes from mailing the plate, I keep a copy of the DMV "Proceedure". When I first got my tag authenticated many years ago it was RS-08 of Section 320.0805. It has since changed to RS-25 of Section 320.086.

This has come in handy when tying to explain the tag, especially when they tried to replace it.

Get notified of new replies

To Year of manufacture plate saga in Florida

Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Viking427
I have a hard time believing there's anyone employed by FL DMV who could even discern b/n original or restored paint on a 40+ year old license plate anyway, but better safe than sorry I suppose.
...I think some NCRS Bowtie/Bloomington Gold Survivor judges work for the DMV down there part time.

..in Ohio you can run the YOM plate in lieu of the "Historical Vehicle" plate, but you must carry in the car the historical plate. In Ohio, it was $25 to be renewed in 25yrs.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 PM
'67 Mann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default To heck with the topic...

Do you have a coupe or roadster with that blue/white interior ?

My 66 is a BB coupe with several options.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

That is ALWAYS the topic......

'66 roadster with pipes.... the only way

Originally Posted by A1930Q
Do you have a coupe or roadster with that blue/white interior ?

My 66 is a BB coupe with several options.

Quick Reply: Year of manufacture plate saga in Florida