C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My 64 Coupe Coke Bottle look Restomod build

Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Total investment right now is 3 years worth of my Social Security and Retirement checks...

Neither are large checks. Didn't work or 9 years in 70's, retired at 58 and started drawing SS at 62 instead of full retirement age, and my retirement check is not that much either even though I worked for company 30 years because I had broken service and first 10 do not count, along being both half that time hourly union, then company Salaried hurt the 20 year amount too.

What Jitmo got for his Restomod at auction would just about cover it's cost.
You could have just told me it was none of my business!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

very very nice job. i love the color also. you should not take photos, where the light is
overhead fluorescent light. the temp of the light is low, usually makes things look green.
some of the tubes have higher temp for a more natural light, but they are expensive.
jim
Old 08-20-2011, 09:48 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Great car
Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Real nice Poorhouse.

There's something magical and immensly satisfying about building a unique car.
Only those who have done it would truly understand.
I take my hat off to you mate.
Congratulations
Ross01,

Thanks or your praise.

What I've done is like changing a flat tire on car compared to what you've done.

We only made changes to try improve on what many others had already done, mostly with the rear tire coverage on front side of rear 1/4 panel. Similar coverage on rear of 1/4 panel had already been done. The other change was just slapping a Z06 style vent on front lower fenders instead of doing minor body work changes to them.

I told my builder about what you had done, then showed him pictures of car. He was truly impressed. He said it's hard enough to build a car body from the ground up, but to merge to different bodies together is a monumental challenge. Said there was so much work involved in the merging of two different body styles. Lot more work and thought required than just cut/chop a car.

Does he get it and truly understand, you bet. Below are links to to cars he and his son PJ built from scratch. He said they were easy compared to what you've done.

http://www.b-rodorcustom.com/gallery...ew_Tomcat.html

http://www.b-rodorcustom.com/gallery...A_Project.html

I think he would agree with your builder about us not having the gonads to do one off builds when it comes to what many consider an Automotive Icon. Told me to think back how hard it was for him to get me to agree to let him make changes to body required to just have a little Rim Hoop on rear of my car without tubbing by changing those Iconic bodylines some. .

Wonder how many peoples would think I should have just built this version of car, rather than the one that changed those Iconic bodylines a little bit.

Please accept my appoligies form those that get what you achived for those of us that don't get it.

Thanks again for your praise and also to members here that have expressed their praise about build as well!!! Also like to thank those of you who have just followed thread and hope you continue to do so as we finish up. This is what keeps my and others spirts up as we try to get these car back on the road.!

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 08-21-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

So what's in store in the car's future. I'd be interested in performance and reliability updates. You DO plan on driving this thing right? Hope so!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
So what's in store in the car's future. I'd be interested in performance and reliability updates. You DO plan on driving this thing right? Hope so!
Kerrmudgeon,

You ask the tough questions.

I'm getting a lot of pressure not to drive the car or a while. I'm not really a show car type, maybe part of that is because I don't have any money to buy a truck and enclosed trailer to haul it an it being an expensive proposition even if I did. My retirement and SS checks don't go far as it is, and they are my main source of income..

Car has been built to drive and when I started main goal for it was that. There is little over 150 pounds of sound deadener and heat shielding in it to try and make it pleasurable on trips, both long and short. Also tried to make it a little more travel friendly by not tubbing it, thus losing luggage space and also by installing a liftable cover behind seat so there is more usable flat stoarage area behind seats for things.

When it come to shows, Goodyguys shows interest me the most as car has to do 3 lap around autocross track if I want it to be judged. Also they are outdoors. Since Goodyguys opened up their shows to car and trucks thru 1972 year models, more and more 60s cars showing up at them to, so have company there.

I'll know more about if it will be mostly show for a year or not after Nov 6th.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Ross01,

Thanks or your praise.

What I've done is like changing a flat tire on car compared to what you've done.

We only made changes to try improve on what many others had already done, mostly with the rear tire coverage on front side of rear 1/4 panel. Similar coverage on rear of 1/4 panel had already been done. The other change was just slapping a Z06 style vent on front lower fenders instead of doing minor body work changes to them.

I told my builder about what you had done, then showed him pictures of car. He was truly impressed. He said it's hard enough to build a car body from the ground up, but to merge to different bodies together is a monumental challenge. Said there was so much work involved in the merging of two different body styles. Lot more work and thought required than just cut/chop a car.

Does he get it and truly understand, you bet. Below are links to to cars he and his son PJ built from scratch. He said they were easy compared to what you've done.

http://www.b-rodorcustom.com/gallery...ew_Tomcat.html

http://www.b-rodorcustom.com/gallery...A_Project.html

I think he would agree with your builder about us not having the gonads to do one off builds when it comes to what many consider an Automotive Icon. Told me to think back how hard it was for him to get me to agree to let him make changes to body required to just have a little Rim Hoop on rear of my car without tubbing by changing those Iconic bodylines some. .

Wonder how many peoples would think I should have just built this version of car, rather than the one that changed those Iconic bodylines a little bit.

Please accept my appoligies form those that get what you achived for those of us that don't get it.

Thanks again for your praise and also to members here that have expressed their praise about build as well!!! Also like to thank those of you who have just followed thread and hope you continue to do so as we finish up. This is what keeps my and others spirts up as we try to get these car back on the road.!
Poorhouse
Mate, sorry about the inference re the "gonards" comment from my friend Darryll.
Being an artist, he was readily upset by some of the comments, and lashed out a bit. I think he's over it now.

It's interesting you raised the thought about messing with an "Automotive Icon", because that's exactly what we did, and just maybe there wouldn't be too many folk over in the U.S. that would do that. That thought crossed our minds as we were designing this car. In fact , it encouraged us more.

We started with a pile of junk, a dream, and a blank piece of paper.
I think it is vitally important to have plan, in writing, that you can refer to during the build process. Sure, you can chop and change a tad, but the basic plan needs to be in place before you start.

Thought for the day:-, when building any part of your car:- step back and take a real hard look at what you have done.
If you don't say "WOW" I really like that:- pull it off and start again. If you have to find a reason to like what you have done, then it's wrong, pure and simple.
Through my eyes at least, I did that with Prodigy, and after nearly 6 and a half years and 7,300 odd hours I wouldn't change a thing.

Poorhouse, many thanks for your kind words.
You're a braver man than me to post your build from start to finish.
I sincerely wish you well with your continuing journey, and will watch
with interest, the conclusion.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Poorhouse
Mate, sorry about the inference re the "gonards" comment from my friend Darryll.
Being an artist, he was readily upset by some of the comments, and lashed out a bit. I think he's over it now.

you can refer to during the build process. Sure, you can chop and chaIt's interesting you raised the thought about messing with an "Automotive Icon", because that's exactly what we did, and just maybe there wouldn't be too many folk over in the U.S. that would do that. That thought crossed our minds as we were designing this car. In fact , it encouraged us more.

We started with a pile of junk, a dream, and a blank piece of paper.
I think it is vitally important to have plan, in writing, that nge a tad, but the basic plan needs to be in place before you start.

Thought for the day:-, when building any part of your car:- step back and take a real hard look at what you have done.
If you don't say "WOW" I really like that:- pull it off and start again. If you have to find a reason to like what you have done, then it's wrong, pure and simple.
Through my eyes at least, I did that with Prodigy, and after nearly 6 and a half years and 7,300 odd hours I wouldn't change a thing.

Poorhouse, many thanks for your kind words.
You're a braver man than me to post your build from start to finish.
I sincerely wish you well with your continuing journey, and will watch
with interest, the conclusion.
Ross1,

No reason to be sorry about the reference. Tell your mate I agree with him too, that most of us in US lose them when it comes to our automotive icons an our ability to handle Peer pressure without caving into it....LOL Before they became Icons we had no problem doing it.

My next change may cause some heartburn for me from other, but like you said when you step back and look at things and they just don't say WOW or at least OK you need to go back and try again.

At least I saved the Big Midyear's Iconic Clock rather than doing away with it like others. Just moved it lower so I could have a radio and mount a Transmission fluid temp gage at same eye level on center dash as the small gages in gage cluster cluster.

I've been waiting on re-faced gages gages I hope will confuse some to be shipped back for last two weeks. Hope they show up this week so I can see if I've really screwed up this time. If I have there is no turning back, I'll have to live with them...LOL The little ring sitting on top o dash is a look alike bezel we made to try and see if we can have all the gages with a bezel around it. Trying to mount aftermarket gage refaced to match other gages behind it will be next challenge.

Center dash now looks like swiss cheese with all the holes in it.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 08-22-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 AM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Ross1,

No reason to be sorry about the reference. Tell your mate I agree with him too, that most of us in US lose them when it comes to our automotive icons an our ability to handle Peer pressure without caving into it....LOL Before they became Icons we had no problem doing it.

My next change may cause some heartburn for me from other, but like you said when you step back and look at things and they just don't say WOW or at least OK you need to go back and try again.

At least I saved the Big Midyear's Iconic Clock rather than doing away with it like others. Just moved it lower so I could have a radio and mount a Transmission fluid temp gage at same eye level on center dash as the small gages in gage cluster cluster.

I've been waiting on re-faced gages gages I hope will confuse some to be shipped back for last two weeks. Hope they show up this week so I can see if I've really screwed up this time. If I have there is no turning back, I'll have to live with them...LOL The little ring sitting on top o dash is a look alike bezel we made to try and see if we can have all the gages with a bezel around it. Trying to mount aftermarket gage refaced to match other gages behind it will be next challenge.

Center dash now looks like swiss cheese with all the holes in it.

Funny, I kept the clock too, just repainted the needles to match the C5Z06 instrument cluster.

Poorhouse, you are going to screw up from time to time, but if it feels right:- DO IT.
All the successful people I've known, screw up at times, but they succeed far more than they fail. This is the difference between folk that get somewhere in life, and ones that don't

You are doing just fine mate.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM
mikeyc123456&maybe7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
everyone knows that all Corvettes are red.....anything else is just a mistake.....
Red corvettes. I hate red corvettes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by heckys66

This my "vintage race Coke car" when I first had it done in the early 90's I had a lot of flack from the NCRS group for cutting up a perfectly nice 66. I have raced this guy for years and enjoyed more of it than my stock trailer queen 66 vert. Great project.
=============================
That is a beautiful car.

I love it!

You should create a thread with "Grand Sport" in the title so that crowd can admire your car. I am currently building a Grand Sport, and doing something very different with it. I think their are many people who would enjoy seeing you car, and possibly getting some ideas.

Doing something different, "It is a Road less Taken".

Regards,

Ty O'Neal

Here is a draft of mine. It will be somewhat different than this when finished, buy I think it gives you an Idea.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

considering my budget, I think mine would have hit the road with that home depot intake tube, just the way it is, for a bit ...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tyoneal
=============================
That is a beautiful car.

I love it!

You should create a thread with "Grand Sport" in the title so that crowd can admire your car. I am currently building a Grand Sport, and doing something very different with it. I think their are many people who would enjoy seeing you car, and possibly getting some ideas.

Doing something different, "It is a Road less Taken".

Regards,

Ty O'Neal

Here is a draft of mine. It will be somewhat different than this when finished, buy I think it gives you an Idea.
Ty,

I've been following your GS build. I got interested in GS after I measured width of my 64's at center of wheel front and rear. Mine's width is almost the same width with front being 1/2 less in width. I was thinking my car would fit over GS tires with some room to spare.

When you posted the below picture back in May that has picture looking down and saw the ront and rear were not close to the same. Knew then front fitting would not be a problem and it did not look like rear would be either that is until you posted picture of GS scale model.

The rear flare width looks to be wider than my 64 stretched 1/4 panel. Tire wise I can run up to 12.5" inch wide tire without a problem.

Would you measure the model width at center of rear wheel and tell me how wide it is if it were full scale? Love to know my body is as wide as or wider than GS's.

When I look at picture of a GS style vette, I know my body will fit over it.

When it comes to starting a thread of my car with GS in title, I would not.

My car is a Wide Body Pro Touring class car, term GS would not be apporiate to use to describe it.

It and the red vintage 66 racer are of the same family as my car's design is based off of them, but they are not GS cars either.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Jere,

Sorry I won't be able to go to Carlisle this year, as I really wanted to go.
The car is looking good!

Next week, I am starting on the new coupe project and I will incorporate some of the changes that you did on this car.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Jere,

Sorry I won't be able to go to Carlisle this year, as I really wanted to go.
The car is looking good!

Next week, I am starting on the new coupe project and I will incorporate some of the changes that you did on this car.

Regards, John McGraw
John,

Thats what I call a real complement!!!!

I hope one of the changes is the rear 1/4 panel and door for rear tire coverage.

I would love to see wide rear with C6 suspension and frame rails moved inboard. You could run widest tire size out there, an you'll need that with the Supercharged engine I think you've mentioned you would be using. Choice of wheel styles/looks would be limitless too.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

John,

Thats what I call a real complement!!!!

I hope one of the changes is the rear 1/4 panel and door for rear tire coverage.

I would love to see wide rear with C6 suspension and frame rails moved inboard. You could run widest tire size out there, an you'll need that with the Supercharged engine I think you've mentioned you would be using. Choice of wheel styles/looks would be limitless too.
Yep, I am using the C5/C6 rear suspension on this one with a 9" ford center section. Mike assures me that there will be enough room for 375 tires under the rear. It will be nice to finally have a little traction! The other cars are fun to drive, but can get downright scary under full throttle.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool project/custom Vette and nice thread with great photos and information!

Keith

Get notified of new replies

To My 64 Coupe Coke Bottle look Restomod build

Old 08-24-2011, 05:10 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ty,

I've been following your GS build. I got interested in GS after I measured width of my 64's at center of wheel front and rear. Mine's width is almost the same width with front being 1/2 less in width. I was thinking my car would fit over GS tires with some room to spare.

When you posted the below picture back in May that has picture looking down and saw the ront and rear were not close to the same. Knew then front fitting would not be a problem and it did not look like rear would be either that is until you posted picture of GS scale model.

The Model of the #65 Car is listed at 1:18. Now that said, the "Real" GS vettes were basically custom in every respect. From what I understand, none of the panels of the originals would fit on a regular product vette of the same year.

I
can with with certainty that the 305/50/15 tires fit really well. The main deal with the GS is trying to keep the height of the tire close to 28 inches high, or they look way too small for the wheel opening. I do believe people have run 12 inch wheels on their cars.

The wheels with the narrowed suspension are list as 15x10 in rear with a 4 inch BS, in front with a 4 inch BS. However if you don't narrow the rear end 2 inches the wheel changes to a 15x10 with a 6 inch BS in rear.

This would lead me to believe that with a 15x12 wheel and a 6 inch BS would have a chance of fitting ok, depending on ride height and tire sizing one choose.

The rear flare width looks to be wider than my 64 stretched 1/4 panel. Tire wise I can run up to 12.5" inch wide tire without a problem.

Would you measure the model width at center of rear wheel and tell me how wide it is if it were full scale? Love to know my body is as wide as or wider than GS's.

I need to ask, do you want it at the:

1) Actual center of the rear wheel (Where the Nut attaches)

2) At the center of the rear hoop (as close as I can come to it)

3) Across the outside bulge of the tires (at the diameter)

4) At the edge of the plastic wheel (Across at the diameter)

At best I think the measurement will be very rough since I don't have a good mic, and I don't know any of the other assumptions that the model builders made when they constructed these "Scale" models.

While they are a 1:18 as noted I am not sure what the margin of error is in this model to make it by Q/C, or it's margin of error vs. a real Grand Sport. All 5 of the GS have been rebuilt over the years and changed by the different owners, so even with the 5 real cars none of them are exactly alike.

The bodies of these car from end to end are stated at 9.5 inches. (No Bumpers. With Bumpers 9 3/4 inches)

When I look at picture of a GS style vette, I know my body will fit over it.

When it comes to starting a thread of my car with GS in title, I would not.

My car is a Wide Body Pro Touring class car, term GS would not be apporiate to use to describe it.

It and the red vintage 66 racer are of the same family as my car's design is based off of them, but they are not GS cars either.
I understand your car is a Pro Touring class car, and that the red one is not a GS either. It is merely that the people who enjoy the GS vettes usually like the "Racing/Race Car/High Performance with body modifications vettes, and having GS in the title anywhere would be an easy way for them to find it and enjoy seeing it.

We query each other threads by having "Grand Sport" in the Title of the thread. If it was nothing more than:

Racing Vettes/Pro Touring Vettes/Customized vettes. (Grand Sport)

This would put the link in an area they could find it and enjoy it. Your car and the fellow with the Red Race Car vette have beautiful rides, and certainly worthy of enjoying. That is all that was meant from my statement.

ALL the GS guys have basically radically changed the outward appearance of the stock vettes, and set them up on new/modern chassis (In this case a C4) which is exactly what the pro-touring guys are doing.

No harm no fowl, you have a nice ride that is getting some exceptional work done that I am certain many people will enjoy seeing it.

Hope this helps explain why I said that.

Ty

Last edited by tyoneal; 08-24-2011 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Missed clarifying a point
Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tyoneal
I understand your car is a Pro Touring class car, and that the red one is not a GS either. It is merely that the people who enjoy the GS vettes usually like the "Racing/Race Car/High Performance with body modifications vettes, and having GS in the title anywhere would be an easy way for them to find it and enjoy seeing it.

We query each other threads by having "Grand Sport" in the Title of the thread. If it was nothing more than:

Racing Vettes/Pro Touring Vettes/Customized vettes. (Grand Sport)

This would put the link in an area they could find it and enjoy it. Your car and the fellow with the Red Race Car vette have beautiful rides, and certainly worthy of enjoying. That is all that was meant from my statement.

ALL the GS guys have basically radically changed the outward appearance of the stock vettes, and set them up on new/modern chassis (In this case a C4) which is exactly what the pro-touring guys are doing.

No harm no fowl, you have a nice ride that is getting some exceptional work done that I am certain many people will enjoy seeing it.

Hope this helps explain why I said that.

Ty
Ty,

THe reason I said I wouldn't use GS in thread title is because some of the GS owners, especialy the ones who have tried to dupilcate one to the nith degree are real touchy about them. Have little requard for those that try to improve on their handling and braking, as in Restomod'ed Grand Sport. GS's are an Icon within the Corvette club.

MY Wide Body Corvette is like a Lady going to the Country Club on a Saturday night, while GS's are like Males going to a Polo Match at the Country Club...
You know the little boys don't want a girl trying to play with them..

Try a Grand Sport search now and see if it shows up in list. Heck, I named car after a little girl who kicked the little boy's Butts in a Peddle Car race at Goodguys show, so might as well roll the dice and see if they come up Snake Eyes...

The Model of the #65 Car is listed at 1:18. Now that said, the "Real" GS vettes were basically custom in every respect. From what I understand, none of the panels of the originals would fit on a regular product vette of the same year.

I can with with certainty that the 305/50/15 tires fit really well. The main deal with the GS is trying to keep the height of the tire close to 28 inches high, or they look way too small for the wheel opening. I do believe people have run 12 inch wheels on their cars.

The wheels with the narrowed suspension are list as 15x10 in rear with a 4 inch BS, in front with a 4 inch BS. However if you don't narrow the rear end 2 inches the wheel changes to a 15x10 with a 6 inch BS in rear.

This would lead me to believe that with a 15x12 wheel and a 6 inch BS would have a chance of fitting ok, depending on ride height and tire sizing one choose.

I need to ask, do you want it at the:

1) Actual center of the rear wheel (Where the Nut attaches)

2) At the center of the rear hoop (as close as I can come to it)

3) Across the outside bulge of the tires (at the diameter)

4) At the edge of the plastic wheel (Across at the diameter)
I probably can run a 12.0" wheel too, but I know I can run 11.0" wheel with 12.60" wide tire without a problem.

Measurement wise,

1. Across Outside edges of Body's rear 1/4 Flares, at center line of the wheel (at diameter).

2. Across the outside bulge of the tires (at the diameter)

That should tell me what I want to know, at least from a scale model.

I also use a 28.3" dia tire just on an 18.0" rim to fill rear wheel well cavity and to help with show front to rear stance an to get more rubber between rim and ground.

Could have done the same with 15" or 17" front and rear rims and 25.6" dia and 28.0" dia tires and get the same look. Just wanted 1/2 & 1/2. Little more rubber and rim dia on rear to add some to modernization theme for the younger generation without totally alienating the older generations.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by mikeyc123456&maybe7
Red corvettes. I hate red corvettes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to respond, but just decided to take the high road and say "thank you for your opinion".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 64 Coupe Coke Bottle look Restomod build