C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

54 old registration pic

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:47 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default 54 old registration pic

When I bought this car the seller gave me old registrations from the guy he bought it from. While cleaning the frame I came across an extra set of #'s on the left upper frame member fwd of the firewall. I thought it was strange because the # started with a DRF (my initials). In looking the registration over I spotted in the upper left corner these exact numbers listed as 'vehicle identification'. Too wierd! The correct vin # is on the left upper frame fwd of the left wheel hump and matches the vin tag.....it is S54004545. Any thoughts? Also I could use any advice you have on trying to locate this guy. I've kinda hit a dead end. Oh BTW, I still have the black and yellow Calif. license plate listed on the registration.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...istration5.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...istration1.jpg
Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Stated issued VIN?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by emccomas
Stated issued VIN?
I suppose, dunno really. The registration/title I got when I bought it has the correct vin # S54004545 on the title and these numbers match the frame stamp and vin tag. Maybe Calif. needed to put their own ID # on it also for some reason. Strange that the Calif DMV made the owner stamp their # on the frame along with the original vin.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by MasterDave
While cleaning the frame I came across an extra set of #'s on the left upper frame member fwd of the firewall. I thought it was strange because the # started with a DRF (my initials). In looking the registration over I spotted in the upper left corner these exact numbers listed as 'vehicle identification'.
In Kalifornia, state assigned VINs begin (or used to begin) with DRF followed by 5 digits. My '60, an original Kalifornia car, has such a VIN.

The next question is why did Kalifornia think it necessary to issue a new VIN?

Jim
Old 11-15-2009, 10:08 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
In Kalifornia, state assigned VINs begin (or used to begin) with DRF followed by 5 digits. My '60, an original Kalifornia car, has such a VIN.

Jim
Dunno Jim, maybe like yours it's an original Kalifornia car?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:17 PM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

Jim
I googled the internet to find why CA DMV would assign a DRF code to a car. I did not find anything. Don't most state assigned VIN #s usually arise via an unhappy event? Maybe in the case of an early Corvette, however, you could receive a state assigned VIN just by losing the pink slip and the serial number tag. At that point, the DMV wouldn't have much to go on.

Russ
Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 AM
vettecityman53
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Number???

Does your car have the original motor....and F54YG stamping? California used to title cars by the motor number, not the VIN number. If your car was missing the original block, depending on when this title was issued, then California may have issued a "replacement" VIN number due to having a non-original block. A friend of mine restored a 1954 here in Kentucky that came from California, a black plate car last titled in the late 1960's or early 1970's and it had the original block and the car's title was the motor number, blah-blah-blah-F54YG. It took him MONTHS to get Kentucky title under the VIN number based on the tag on the door. This might help you.....maybe???
Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by vettecityman53
Does your car have the original motor....and F54YG stamping? California used to title cars by the motor number, not the VIN number. If your car was missing the original block, depending on when this title was issued, then California may have issued a "replacement" VIN number due to having a non-original block. A friend of mine restored a 1954 here in Kentucky that came from California, a black plate car last titled in the late 1960's or early 1970's and it had the original block and the car's title was the motor number, blah-blah-blah-F54YG. It took him MONTHS to get Kentucky title under the VIN number based on the tag on the door. This might help you.....maybe???
Interesting. The short block is F54Z so I know it's been replaced. The numbers on the old Kali title do not match the engine #'s however. I'm not gonna worry about it, the Wa. title has the correct Vin # on it. Thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:54 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by YesA59
I googled the internet to find why CA DMV would assign a DRF code to a car. I did not find anything.
When I got my '60 thirty years ago I called DMV in Sacramento to investigate the odd "DRF" VIN. I was told that "DRF" was the VIN prefix used for trailers.

Jim
Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be on to something with the VIN being from a replacement engine...it appears to me that on your registration it says it had an 8 cylinder engine in it at that time possibly.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also appears that the registerer has passed away, he was born in Souix City, Iowa in 1928. His name is Hollis Burton Bouvia ...Bouvia was his last name. Here is a link to contact his wife (if shes still alive)

http://community.ancestry.com/profil...?cba=kalla1939

Hope that helps...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by Sean Dunshee
It also appears that the registerer has passed away, he was born in Souix City, Iowa in 1928. His name is Hollis Burton Bouvia ...Bouvia was his last name. Here is a link to contact his wife (if shes still alive)

http://community.ancestry.com/profil...?cba=kalla1939

Hope that helps...
Well I posted a note to this person but being she hasn't been on this Ancestry site for 6 months isn't faith strenghtening. Wish I had a phone number. Also, for some reason I had not noticed the 8 cyl designation on the old registration, good eyes! The front coils were broken and I had some pieces of the original motor mounts in a box that I got with the car even though when I got it the correct engine mounts were installed. I also know that it at one time it was converted to a 12 volt system.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:22 PM
bouviahollis541@gmai

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 54 Corvette

My DAD is the person that you are taking about, my name is Hollis Bouvia all so.If you still own it maybe I can answer your questions. My phone number is (360)228-8077,I live in Shelton,WA 98584.O was in highschool when he was putting it together.He bought a parts 54 Corvette with the 6cyl in it.Please call me I would like to you. If you have a hard time to get me on the phone,I live in a hard place to get phone calls Just text me and I'll call you Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
csherman (06-13-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To 54 old registration pic

Quick Reply: 54 old registration pic