C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

6 cyl Carburetor Synch

Old 08-20-2019, 12:02 PM
54C1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 6 cyl Carburetor Synch

I've read a great article, and the Chevy bulletin on synchronization and I understand the procedure. Before beginning that procedure, I want to make sure my carbs are rebuilt correctly. I don't see how I could have put them back together wrong, but I never know what has been done before me. I'm glad I rebuilt my carbs. There were oddities inside that make me think someone was trying to get a lot more fuel in there and that's why it wouldn't idle. By the way, does anyone know where I can find the correct spring that sits on top of the check ball< It is very small and soft and one of mine was jacked up.

Here is my observation and questions. In my photos, I do not have the upper spring on the accelerator pump.

When the carburetor is under no tension, the throttle is naturally open a little, as shown in picture 1. Correct?
When the carburetor is under no tension, the throttle arm that goes to the accelerator pump, has no tension on the accelerator pump and the throttle arm is raised up as shown in picture 2. Correct?
When I tightly close the throttle, as they say to do for synchronization, I am putting pressure on the accelerator pump lower spring, and it is pushed down all the way, as shown in picture 3. Correct?
If you lock all this down so that all three throttles are tightly closed when the gas pedal is at rest, the engine would get zero air, and not run. This is where the idle adjustment screw comes in; by screwing it in, you open the throttle valve a little. Correct?
Once you set the idle with the center carb screw, the others should do the same thing, so all 3 are slightly open (however you have adjusted it with the screw). Correct?
Once you are done, the natural state of rest for the carburetors, is that all of them have some remaining amount of pressure on the lower spring of the accelerator pump. Correct?

Again, if anyone knows where I can find that little spring for the check ball, let me know. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 cyl Carburetor Synch