Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
FASTBACK
CF Member

Default Al Knock upholstery compared to the competition.

I don't know if anyone else has had the opportunity but I have had a chance to recover C1 seats, '62, with an Al Knock cover and a competitor's cover. I first used a competitor's cover. Absolutely appeared at first glance to be no chance of it fitting and after many hours trying and keeping it as warm as possible even with a heat gun to make it fit, they finally tore, both left and right, at the rear corners. Then I sent for an Al Knock cover, so easy in comparison and fit like a glove in about half the time, and they came fully complete with wires already installed. Anyone else have a take on this?
FASTBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
mike coletta
CF Senior Member

There have been lots of threads on the subject of "who has the best stuff". Some folks swear by the "other guys", and some say Al Knoch has the best. Personally, I have had the opportunity to install "all" of the different brands, and find that the Knoch stuff fits better. Dash pads, door panels, seat covers, and tops. The seats for a C1 are tough enough to do, without having to deal with covers that aren't sewn right. Glad you got it done. My vote is Knoch.

Mike Coletta
mike coletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
1snake
CF Senior Member

I've bought covers from CA for the seats in my 60 (vinyl), 64 (vinyl) and 74 (leather) and they all fit perfectly. I just bought some for my 65 as well but haven't put them on yet. I've had issues with AK stuff and quit buying from him years ago when their customer service went in the toilet.

Jim
1snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
John McGraw
CF Senior Member

I have been buying from CA for the last couple of years, because Al's price got so high and his responsiveness got so bad. Every set of seat covers I have got from CA fit like a glove, and I don't think that there is a better midyear door panel than theirs after they re-tooled and started making the new ones. That being said, soft tops, and C1 dash pads are something I get only from AK. Both these items are superior to any others on the market.

We just put one of Al's dash pads in a 58 yesterday, after having to scrap a brand X pad. Al's pads ain't perfect by a long shot, but they are way better than anything else. He uses a more rigid foam than the competition that is way easier to trim and sand for a perfect fit.

Regards, John McGraw
John McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
aworks
CF Senior Member

Last three sets of seat covers I used where CA. 2 midyears and one 69. Fit is perfect. Have just sent them a set of 62 seats and a set of 64 seats. This is the first time I am having them install the covers. I'll see how good they look when they get shipped back. There price to install was much less than anybody I have around here.
aworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
PinkVetteLady
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aworks View Post
Last three sets of seat covers I used where CA. 2 midyears and one 69. Fit is perfect. Have just sent them a set of 62 seats and a set of 64 seats. This is the first time I am having them install the covers. I'll see how good they look when they get shipped back. There price to install was much less than anybody I have around here.
Yeah and the 49 dollar special they have going on right now is hard to beat.
PinkVetteLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Wiscane
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not excited about their door panels.
Wiscane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
shemp
CF Senior Member

Just ordered mine from Wilcox after hearing the horror stories about AN. They had a sale also saved $ 62 Shemp
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
VanIsle66
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscane View Post
I am not excited about their door panels.
Whose door panels????
VanIsle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Al Knock upholstery compared to the competition.

Tags
1957, al, alknockcorvettes, corvette, covers, knock, seat