C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default steering problems

-i have a 65 roadster, manual steering...when i'm driving along (as if i am in my right mind) my car will pull either to the left or right, with no warning, you really have to be up on the wheel when it happens. The frame is not bent and has all new front end. A mechanic told me it might be alignment, but the car had a 4 wheel alignment when new tires were put on. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem and how it was remedied . It also pulls hard to the left under heavy acceleration. I've had a few Vets, never ran into this before.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:21 PM
sped921
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2 cents but I would be concerned about a sticking piston in a brake caliper. If a piston is dragging, it can cause a a pull to one side or another, generate a good bit of heat, boil the fluid, melt a brake line(rubber). Have you performed any maintenance/inspection of the brake calipers lately?

Eddy

Last edited by sped921; 10-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:29 PM
vt65
Safety Car

actually, i checked the brakes, they all seem good, incidentally i have one of the 370 odd '65 Vet's with the disc brake delete option but that's another story....makes it rare but.....thanks Eddy

Last edited by vt65; 10-23-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
sped921
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I hope you find the root of this problem. I had a friend go through this recently, The piston would get caddywompus in the caliper bore and just about rip the weheel from his hands. Then it would be fine for a couple hundered miles. I am scrathching my head at what it could be. Good luck...Keep us in the loop and let us know if you figure it out.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
-i have a 65 roadster, manual steering...when i'm driving along (as if i am in my right mind) my car will pull either to the left or right, with no warning, you really have to be up on the wheel when it happens. The frame is not bent and has all new front end. A mechanic told me it might be alignment, but the car had a 4 wheel alignment when new tires were put on. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem and how it was remedied . It also pulls hard to the left under heavy acceleration. I've had a few Vets, never ran into this before.
The "under acceleration" comment kind of gives it away. It sure sounds line rear trailing arm problems. I would check to assure that the shims are in tight, and that the bushings at the frame are not shot. If I was a betting man, I would lay odds on trailing arm bushings.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John McGraw
The "under acceleration" comment kind of gives it away. It sure sounds line rear trailing arm problems. I would check to assure that the shims are in tight, and that the bushings at the frame are not shot. If I was a betting man, I would lay odds on trailing arm bushings.

Regards, John McGraw
thanks John, will check
Old 10-23-2009, 07:46 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Originally Posted by John McGraw

Regards, John McGraw

Chris, CWPASADENA

Get notified of new replies

To steering problems

Quick Reply: steering problems