C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 327 250 hp is smoking!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Chris beat me to this. I was going to suggest that you install the PCV system. Lot's of guys out there are too young to remember the older cars without PCV would wisp oil vapors/moisture out of the oil fill pipe.

How many of you guys remember when the streets/roads used to have the black stripe down the center of the driving lane where the road draft tubes would spew oil vapors out and discolor the road?
Mike they were not black stripes down the center of the road.....what you were seeing was chariot wheel indentations in the mud.... ha ha ha!

rustylugnuts
Old 10-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Sounds like my driveway

Chris beat me to this. I was going to suggest that you install the PCV system. Lot's of guys out there are too young to remember the older cars without PCV would wisp oil vapors/moisture out of the oil fill pipe.

How many of you guys remember when the streets/roads used to have the black stripe down the center of the driving lane where the road draft tubes would spew oil vapors out and discolor the road?
My first vette was a 61 until it melted in a fire. Replaced with 66 40 years ago. Boy are we getting old, we just forget how messy and oil covered was our engine bay when we drove our cars every day.

Jack
Old 10-22-2009, 06:46 PM
stingray6507
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks to all of you for your help. I gotta tell you I forgot about the black pipes and I am old enough to remember. Jeff thanks for the post, I still don't know how to do that. I will get on with the oil change, etc. and then take her for a nice ride to the Florida Keys for a margarita! I can appreciate the street rods, I did it to my 55 chev. when I was young but now I keep it simple. My son telling me about this forum was for me a great thing. Lots of great guys and girls who love vettes, what could be better? Thanks again. Joe
Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,470 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Dennis
Old 10-22-2009, 07:59 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you still have a draft tube I would check to see if any vapors are coming out of it. More than likely your oil/vapor separator under the intake could be clogged with caked up old oil.
Back in the day when draft tubes were the norm we used to build a fire and throw the separators in. Then when they cooled we would bang out all the dried crud.
I have installed a PCV system installed in both my 2 x 4 and fuelie 61's. No fumes under the hood.
Joe
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 PM
stingray6507
Racer

I will start with the least invasive oil and filter change. I had a senior moment a few posts back. The oil I was told to use was amsoil not amily. He also recommended Wix filters. Getting old is not for sissies.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray6507
I will start with the least invasive oil and filter change. I had a senior moment a few posts back. The oil I was told to use was amsoil not amily. He also recommended Wix filters. Getting old is not for sissies.

BE SURE YOU USE OIL WITH ZINC IN IT OR USE A ZINK ADDITIVE SUCH AS ZDDP.

Most of the current oils no longer have the proper additives for a flat tappit cam and if you are not careful, you may wind up with a flat cam. There are several CF Posts that deal with this situation.

Press on and enjoy your drive.

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM
stingray6507
Racer

Thanks Chris for the heads up, I would have never known that. Joe
Old 10-23-2009, 02:17 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I thought I was doing a burnout.

Quick Reply: 62 327 250 hp is smoking!!!!!