C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS Defined motor paint overspray

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
Hey, I agree with you and I am a ncrs member, cars where I lived NEVER had any overspray of any kind on the motors and as a 17-18 y/o I was really into the tiny, tiny details back in the day so I am a believer a few of the "in group" invented the overspray thing and made everyone else live with it as many other things ncrs approves of.....my 2cents and no disrespect to ncrs or the judges, just my observations and opinion.
Then how do you explain the period photographs showing clear examples of overspray, the various untouched cars (Corvettes or other GM with Tonawanda or Flint engines) that still exist today and the process descriptions and testimony of the people that worked there? Another conspiracy theory?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a member of NCRS for more then 25 years, I do not have overspray on anything because that is the way I wanted it. It I ever have the car judged, I may take a hit but I am not concerned. I bought the car for me to restore and enjoy, not to try to please everyone else. If the next owner wants to put overspray on stuff, that's fine with me.

This "overspray" thing is very subjective. It all depends on who at the factory was doing what and where the body was built etc.

Just my opinion.

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, I agree with you and I am a ncrs member, cars where I lived NEVER had any overspray of any kind on the motors and as a 17-18 y/o I was really into the tiny, tiny details back in the day so I am a believer a few of the "in group" invented the overspray thing and made everyone else live with it as many other things ncrs approves of.....my 2cents and no disrespect to ncrs or the judges, just my observations and opinion.
Remember the engine over spray was mainly on the exhaust manifolds that was applied at the assembly line. Shortly after purchase the engine was run and brought up to temperature a dozen or so times, resulting in most of the paint being burned off. That brings the restorer to an option, either restore to factory, or the look after engine break in. So your both right! It's just a matter of preference.

rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 10-22-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 AM
covett
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel 67
I pretty much agree with Mike Ward on this (and of course John's pictures further emphasize the point).

One reason the manuals might be a little vague is because of the situation 65747785 mentioned above, where his entire intake was painted. We know multiple people did these jobs and no 2 did them exactly alike. Therefore, it would be really tough to say with any certainty exactly how much overspray should be present because every car could be a little different.

People who say all NCRS members are nerds who obsess over minor details, and are afraid to drive the snot out them because they are trailer queens probably does not know many members well. Sure, there are some who do not drive the cars while they are being restored/judged, but many take the cars through the judging process and then get a lot of enjoyment out of driving them.

I know one member with a real 1963 Z06 coupe who puts quite a few miles on his car and still participates in the judging process with it, and has regional and national Top Flights to show for it.

Another very prominent member (high point Master Judge, former president of the NCRS) has a 57 FI car that he (gasp!) races auto cross with.

Even Roy Braatz, who can always be counted on to disparage his fellow NCRS members has received a national level Top Flight for his '55.

I guess I just don't get it, and probably never will. In the meantime, I will continue to pay my NCRS dues and attend as many functions as I can. For me, it is fun to talk shop with fellow members and to spend quality time with the cars, whether it be behind the wheel or as a judge.
well said Joel, no matter what part or what degree of the corvette hobby you participate in, it's all fun in the end, and isn't thats what its all about.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Overspray???
Well Corvette owners here in Norway also do that overspray to have the car as much as possible as it was when it left the factory.
I really cant say that i find it good looking!
If i was restoring a Vette again i would never have overspray on any parts.I really dont like that overspray look.
really looks like a job pore done to me!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

LT1:

Here's a picture of an unrestored '59 FI unit. There is no overspray on the rear of the manifold.

Bill

Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default I Say

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
You say you've been into it for 35 years , so you've seen all this silly stuff . In NCRS you play the game or quite
I am an NCRS member and I just want to say:

I lost my over-spray at a very early age....

Jack
Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Here's a convenient example of what Joel mentions:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...tour-pics.html

Looking at the photo of the cars all lined up on the grass, I can see at least two National Top Flight cars and a Star car in the first row alone not to mention a couple Regional and Chapter Top Flighters.

There again, if you scroll all the way down, you'll see a troll-like post from our friend that started THIS post. A pattern maybe?
Nice catch, Mike. After 2 in-thread errors and this debacle, our local NCRS hater needs a time-out.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 817 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I wonder if this is the type of legacy argument Duntov envisioned some forty-five years ago when overseeing the development of the Corvette....

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 11-18-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
67tripwr
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

The NCRS cannot define the amount of over spray on intakes, manifolds, bell housings etc...

It was done by hand by a painter, so the amount of over spray varies. As an example, the General painted right over the exhaust manifolds as they were bolted to the engine.

Intake was already installed before paint was applied to heads etc...

I really used to be into the science of Corvette factory building. On my last build, the over spray was not done. I don't frown on those that do tho!

Last edited by 67tripwr; 11-18-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: NCRS Defined motor paint overspray