C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 365 HP running issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Thanks to all those who responded. Here's an update:

Turns out the engine was rebuilt with flat top pistons, and thicker head gaskets (.026), so my compression ratio is no where near stock : (

Compression test and leak down are good. I found a wide open vacuum leak in the A/C line. After isolating, vacuum is 9-10 in Hg. Timing was also set way too far advanced, so I set the timing at 12* btdc. Vacuum advance is correct for the engine (B28), and is working per spec. After isolating the vacuum leak, the engine idled much better; however, I still wanted to check the valve lash.

When through the valve lash tonight (cold procedure). Would have liked to fire it up after the adjustment, but those damn cork gaskets on the valve covers didn't come off in one piece(dammit that brought back memories of high school). This is a nice car, but it's not going to Bloomington Gold, so no cork will be going back on .
If the SCR is built the way you say it is, then you can probably run with regular unleaded gas. Otherwise, you should be able to tweak your advance map, so as to have your advance come "all-in" sooner, as well as adding more total spark advance.

The tighter you set the valves, the sooner you can have your timing "all-in", since tightening the lash effectively increases cam duration, and causes the intake valve to close LATER on the compression stroke (lowers DCR).

An engine produces peak torque when spark advance is set just on the brink of detonation.

If you intend to use premium fuel, then I recommend setting the lash loose. This will effectively make the cam "smaller" and partially compensate for your unduly LOW SCR.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 10-21-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all those who responded. Here's an update:

Turns out the engine was rebuilt with flat top pistons, and thicker head gaskets (.026), so my compression ratio is no where near stock : (

but those damn cork gaskets on the valve covers didn't come off in one piece(dammit that brought back memories of high school). This is a nice car, but it's not going to Bloomington Gold, so no cork will be going back on .
A 30-30 can with flat top pistons is not the best situation. The 30-30 cam was designed fro more compression and when used with low compression pistons, the engine will run flat at lower RPM and really will not come on until you get it wound up. A little more initial timing may help.

Fel-Pro and others make a good quality cork composition valve cover gaskets. The secret is to use gasket sealer only on the valve covers and not the head. It has been my experience that Cork gaskets seal better especially when you often pull off the valve covers for valve adjustment and reuse the gaskets. (such as with a race car).

Sounds like a nice car, 365 HP with A/C.

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Got her fired up this morning, what a difference. Really quieted down a lot. Went on to check the timing. I had trouble adjusting the timing before, so I decided to try constraining the mechanical advance. With the mech adv. constrained, I set the idle to 900 RPM, and set the timing to 12*. Best idle it has had yet. Really stable, solid vacuum. Very happy.

I then removed the constraints from mechanical advance to see if it made a difference. Sure enough, the idle shot up. I checked the timing to see I had an additional 15*(total 27). I constrained the mech advance again, and it went right back to 12*.

My 65 shop manual supplement states the mechanical advance should be 0* at idle, so it appears that the the weights are moving out at idle.

Anyone experience this?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Got her fired up this morning, what a difference. Really quieted down a lot. Went on to check the timing. I had trouble adjusting the timing before, so I decided to try constraining the mechanical advance. With the mech adv. constrained, I set the idle to 900 RPM, and set the timing to 12*. Best idle it has had yet. Really stable, solid vacuum. Very happy.

I then removed the constraints from mechanical advance to see if it made a difference. Sure enough, the idle shot up. I checked the timing to see I had an additional 15*(total 27). I constrained the mech advance again, and it went right back to 12*.

My 65 shop manual supplement states the mechanical advance should be 0* at idle, so it appears that the the weights are moving out at idle.

Anyone experience this?
Send me your email address and I will send you the spec sheet for your distributor.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 10-21-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Send me your email address and I will send you the spec sheet for your distributor.
PM sent.

Thanks !
Old 11-21-2009, 05:43 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

As it turns out, I had a bad pick up coil, and the incorrect springs. Now it runs like a top!

Thanks to all who replied..

On to my oil pressure problem.......
Old 11-21-2009, 06:07 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Anyone experience this?
Yes, this will occur if the advance springs are too weak or too long. Ensure that the springs are short enough such that there is enough preload to prevent the centrifugal advance from starting until 100 or 200 rpm higher than idle.

'65 L76

Quick Reply: 65 365 HP running issue