C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Right Hand Mirror Placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Cris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Right Hand Mirror Placement

I did a search and saw only one reference to where to place a right hand mirror. Does it get placed the same distance back on the door as the left hand mirror, or does it get mounted in a different position for visibility?

I realize this wasn't a stock option, but I know lots of you guys have right hand mirrors. What did you do and how well does it work?

Thanks, Cris
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Most don't use it because if you place it where it is usable it doesn't look right. If it is placed to match the driver side mirror you have no visibility. Some place it to match the driver side because they like the look (symmetrical) and don't worry about using it.

Last edited by narlee; 10-02-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris
I did a search and saw only one reference to where to place a right hand mirror. Does it get placed the same distance back on the door as the left hand mirror, or does it get mounted in a different position for visibility?

I realize this wasn't a stock option, but I know lots of you guys have right hand mirrors. What did you do and how well does it work?

Thanks, Cris
I just figured out the mirrored position on passengers door and then moved it back an inch or 2 so I had clear vision down RH side of car.
From the front view, looking at the car, they are symmetrical. The only way you are going to pick up that it is moved back a little, is if you get directly above the car and look down and even then you have to look hard to spot the difference.
For me it was a very worthwhile addition as I have to drive on the left side of the road in this part of the world. Changing lanes without it is challenging.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,478 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

NEV, the placement of your mirror is pure simple logic. I never thought about mounting one, but now I will, and follow your process. A bird's eye view doesn't matter. Dennis
Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
NEV, the placement of your mirror is pure simple logic. I never thought about mounting one, but now I will, and follow your process. A bird's eye view doesn't matter. Dennis
i have been thinking on the same issue for years, although i am used to driving with just the outside mirror and the rear view but i think this winter i will install the pass side too.....
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

What year are you talking about? C1 and C2 cars are very different.
C2 cars can have a RH mirror added and most people would never notice the difference in placement, but C1 cars have to be moved substantially back to clear the view through the door post. In any case, the best method it to simply sit in the car and have somebody place the mirror so you have a clear line-of-sight to it, and then mark the location. My 65 has a RH mirror, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it on my 59 because it had to be so far back.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 642 Likes on 360 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by John McGraw
C2 cars can have a RH mirror added and most people would never notice the difference in placement, but C1 cars have to be moved substantially back to clear the view through the door post. In any case, the best method it to simply sit in the car and have somebody place the mirror so you have a clear line-of-sight to it, and then mark the location. My 65 has a RH mirror, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it on my 59 because it had to be so far back.

Regards, John McGraw
I bought a mirror for my '60...didnt add it because of where it would have to go. But I may still put it on for backing the car up, I don't mind leaning way over to see it, I just don't like backing the car up blind on that side and getting the car on the lift or tucked in tight it might be helpful. Maybe I can find a way to try it with some tape and then see where it needs to be to work....for sure I dont want it to look dumb!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I saw a '61 like mine with the right hand mirror on it and it was pretty much non-functional for driving as it was placed to match the driver's side mirror and blocked by the door post/windshield pillar. I can certainly see the need though if you live somewhere where they drive on the 'other' side of the road!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:36 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

If you move it back about 2in. It works good as seen on my 55. It was quite common in the 50's to 60's to see them mounted on Corvettes . You could buy them GM accessory same as used on Buick, Cad as seen here in a box. Or you could locate a 50's after market LOOK_OUT_MIRROR that fits a C1 perfect and a shade for night from glaring lights from cars behind you . Yes I pull a tear drop trailer when going a long distance to meets so they are needed . I know NCRS nuts don't like them but you lose so little points that it doesn't matter in the big picture .
PS they even repro them now but repro's suck!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Cris
Racer

Sorry guys, I forgot to add: 1966 Coupe

(Sounds like the C1's are more problematic with a RH mirror.)

I don't have my car right now (in paint). I was hoping for C2 guys who have the RH mirror to chime in on mounting location and how useful it is.

Thanks, Cris
Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 PM
beatervette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are mounting the mirror to give your car symmetry. Go for it, Functionabilty, not very much. You won't get that "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" look because for the most part it is just a driver's side mirror that is reversed. The glass is not convex but straight, so your view will be very limited.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You can always change the glass if it is a problem.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:52 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Sorry guys, I forgot to add: 1966 Coupe

(Sounds like the C1's are more problematic with a RH mirror.)

I don't have my car right now (in paint). I was hoping for C2 guys who have the RH mirror to chime in on mounting location and how useful it is.

Thanks, Cris
GM had the R/H accessory C2 mirror also but you don't sound so sure you wont one ,they were mostly on coups
Many 63's had them installed .
Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Cris
Racer

Copper:

I need the RH mirror. I have poor visibility out the back (roll bar) and would like to improve things with the RH mirror.

KC John:

Does anyone make a convex insert? That would be helpful.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Copper:

I need the RH mirror. I have poor visibility out the back (roll bar) and would like to improve things with the RH mirror.

KC John:

Does anyone make a convex insert? That would be helpful.
Big trucks use a convex mirror dot that's big enough. I have one on my '34 Ford hotrod. Try a truck stop variety store or a Peterbilt or other semi dealer.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:23 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default R/H mirror

I would love to add one to my 65 coupe because the the view with the inside mirror just plain sucks, but I just can't bring myself to drill holes in that passenger door. AND my car cover doesn't have a mirror pocket for a right side mirror, how is that for and excuse!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Default R/H mirror

I would love to add one to my 65 coupe because the the view with the inside mirror just plain sucks, but I just can't bring myself to drill holes in that passenger door. AND my car cover doesn't have a mirror pocket for a right side mirror, how is that for an excuse!

Get notified of new replies

To Right Hand Mirror Placement

Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by 4440stevesvette
I would love to add one to my 65 coupe because the the view with the inside mirror just plain sucks, but I just can't bring myself to drill holes in that passenger door. AND my car cover doesn't have a mirror pocket for a right side mirror, how is that for an excuse!
The pressure of life can be hard on some , to relieve your stress you should sell that coupe right away
Old 10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
The pressure of life can be hard on some , to relieve your stress you should sell that coupe right away
I think your right, then I could shop for what I would REALLY like to have, a 67 roadster!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by John McGraw

Regards, John McGraw
John,
So how much further aft do you mount the right hand mirror? If you mount it using the same measurements as the driver's side, how much interference is there with the post on a C2?

Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Right Hand Mirror Placement