C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The dreaded frame rot BLAH

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The dreaded frame rot BLAH

Well got around to stripping down the frame. I knew I had a rust issue ... just not this bad.

This is how much rust I swept up!

Rot on both sides....

Now all I have to do it fix it!?!?!? Time to learn how to weld!!

Gotta do this on the cheap...new baby is sucking up my vette funds!

So anyone in the Fredericksburg VA are with mad welding skills willing to work for beer!

Last edited by al329; 09-15-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Time for a fresh start?

Dude, I dunno. Much like a new parent, "Rust never sleeps." The time it will take you to repair that frame yourself, you could prob get an at-home part-time job which even at minimum wage would justify the purchase of a newer, high-tech resto-mod frame.

Some day that kid's gonna want a ride in, and eventually to drive that car.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Fix it. It's not as bad as mine was and now it's good to go...but my kids are naked!

Roy
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by al329
Well got around to stripping down the frame. I knew I had a rust issue ... just not this bad.

This is how much rust I swept up!

Rot on both sides....

Now all I have to do it fix it!?!?!? Time to learn how to weld!!

So anyone in the Fredericksburg VA are with mad welding skills willing to work for beer!
Well
I had alot of rust on the frame of my 1968 Corvette. I would say thats pretty "common" frame rot. You might want to find someone who can weld and also measure. My buddy had his frame repaired by a "friend" needless to say the "repair" work was so shotty it put a heavy strain on thier relationship.
Good luck
Old 09-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

I had the same problem with my 64.

Ordered a back-half frame (behind trans crossmember) from Vette Products of Michigan.
They have the original frame jigs from GM.

http://www.vetteproducts.net/

I cut the old back half off and welded the new piece on.

"Measure 100 times, cut once."
Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Subfixer
I had the same problem with my 64.

Ordered a back-half frame (behind trans crossmember) from Vette Products of Michigan.
They have the original frame jigs from GM.

http://www.vetteproducts.net/

I cut the old back half off and welded the new piece on.

"Measure 100 times, cut once."
My friend purchased a rear half for his '65 and welded it on. Came out great.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

It really doesn't look that bad, at least from those pics.

Learning to weld is the answer.....I bought a mig welder and went at it.

Not too tough to at least get decent at welding, and once you have a welder you'll be surprised at the things you can use it for.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

I would check the birdcage for rust before going any further on that Vette. My 70 Vette had less rust than what you have on your frame (after 15 years and 247K miles of daily driving in the Chicago area - they use a lot of salt on the roads up there!), and I had rust falling in my lap from the windshield frame.

In other words, do a through inspection of all areas for rust prior to just buying a rear frame section. You may find just the rear portion needing replacement, but I would doubt it.

Plasticman
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
vettn
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If what you show is all that is in need, that is not that hard of fix and can do so much cheaper than buying a half frame in my opinion. My 67 was much worse, did major surgery on it and I am restoring the car right now....just painted it today. I have fixed many frames and made many over the years. You need to find a competent person who can cut, grind and weld metal. Then buy needed main rail frame sections from Vette Products, LICS or such. Buy the half sections, not the pre-welded boxes so you can align the sections to your frame. Buy the sleeve too. I can email you some pictures to give you some ideas of how to proceed if you want. While you have the frame opened up, spray some rust converter (like Loctite Extend) inside it to stop the rust...it works, read the blogs. Pictures attached were made with body on. So, with no body, it is easy. Send me an email to gvettn@gmail.com

Just bought a 69 Camaro convertible in Colonial Beach two week ends ago and went to Carl's in Fredericksburg for ice cream! Wife worked there in the 70's so take every opportunity to visit Carl's.

Good luck. Gary
Old 09-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Scott333
Racer

DISCLAIMER - I do have some experience (working on a restoration right now), and I have spent a lot of time learning from the archives and from many helpful people here about all kinds of things, but I am not an expert by any means. Please verify everything before proceeding, and I welcome any corrections (that's how I learn) if I'm mistaken on anything below.

With everything disassembled, this is a great opportunity to put it on a frame-jig to make sure everything is straight (and fix if not). This should not be too expensive.

I have read here on the Forum to make sure to check the frame thickness in the areas most seriously affected by rust (drill small holes that can easily be welded closed after checking)... minimum of 2mm thickness was recommended if I recall correctly, but please verify this.

I think there are several Corvette vendors who sell frame "sections", from whole back (or front) ends to just a small 12" frame rail section, and everything in between. If you determine that replacing a section of the frame is necessary, consider using a proper jig to "hold" the frame so it doesn't move AT ALL while you cut out a bad section and weld in a new section. Measure everything carefully before and after, to make sure nothing moved or flexed during the cut-out/replacement process. Otherwise, you'll have to put it back on the frame jig after repairs are completed to make sure everything is straight again.

I'm all for learning how to weld, but for safety sake, I would want an experienced welder for anything involving the structural integrity of the car's frame.

Those would be a few of my concerns. If it was me, I would try to find someone experienced in pre-1984 Corvette frame repair, and experience with midyear frames would of be even better. Get a straight-up estimate of the least expensive options to clean up the frame, decide what I can do and what I need to have an expert do, figure out a good way to prevent future rust, and make sure structural integrity is restored so you have a solid foundation when you put that great old car back together.

Last edited by Scott333; 09-15-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Slow '90
Fix it. It's not as bad as mine was and now it's good to go...but my kids are naked!

Roy
Old 09-16-2009, 04:01 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Tks for all the ideas.

Yeah I have read about the new back half section, that would be ideal. But of course I can only do what the bank(wife) will let me!

I already have the new frame rail section....looks to be a straight forward reapir. My real concern is the pass side in the trailing arm pocket area. Looks hard to get at. Anyone have pics of how they repaired that area?

Tks
Al
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 985 Likes on 492 Posts

As always, make sure that the work is done to your satisfaction before payment i.e. don't give anyone beer or booze before handing them a torch !

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To The dreaded frame rot BLAH

Quick Reply: The dreaded frame rot BLAH