C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buckshot-Lombardos 61 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Jim Dillon
Bill that 57 may have been Al Maynard's car. I believe he ran a black 57 and ran with the Midwest Auto Parts clan (Arons, Gianino, Kanners, Booth). Those guys were not afraid to push the RPMs up. In 69 Wally Booth was pulling some high RPM launches with his rally green 69 Camaro, like I had never heard- I asked him what he was launching at and he told me 10,000 although I believe it was a big block. Shortly after that it became a bit more commonplace I suppose. Still great music-Jim
Jim
after 45 years it's kind of fuzzy to remember things, but i think it was a 57 convertible that had some kind of special headers and the car had a name, but i'm fuzzy on that too.......
Bill
Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Okiedokey
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thye 55 sedan from Tulsa that John Neas previously eluded to launches at around 10. Runs a super stock class(or did several yrs ago). As I recall the rules stated three speed so he took one gear out of a Nash four speed. Used a 56 265 block overbored .070 and used only one ring per piston. Like previously stated -- launches were a sight to behold.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Okiedokey
Thye 55 sedan from Tulsa that John Neas previously eluded to launches at around 10. Runs a super stock class(or did several yrs ago). As I recall the rules stated three speed so he took one gear out of a Nash four speed. Used a 56 265 block overbored .070 and used only one ring per piston. Like previously stated -- launches were a sight to behold.
back in the mid 60s the NHRA rule was that you had to use the stock trans main gearcase, BUT any gears that would fit into the case were legal (didn't matter whose gears they were... :-) ).

i remember going to Detroit Dragway and seeing a supercharged 57 Ford (the factory Paxton/McCullough) running a stock class that to my surprise shifted 4 times. i inquired about it and was told that there was a BW overdrive trans used by Ford that would take 4spd gears...

i also remember there was a car there that was running without the oil rings; it made a heck of a lot of smoke but, because of the lessened friction without the oil rings, it flew.....

ahhhhhh, those were the days....
Bill
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

[QUOTE=wmf62;1571524881]back in the mid 60s the NHRA rule was that you had to use the stock trans main gearcase, BUT any gears that would fit into the case were legal (didn't matter whose gears they were... :-) ).

i remember going to Detroit Dragway and seeing a supercharged 57 Ford (the factory Paxton/McCullough) running a stock class that to my surprise shifted 4 times. i inquired about it and was told that there was a BW overdrive trans used by Ford that would take 4spd gears...

i also remember there was a car there that was running without the oil rings; it made a heck of a lot of smoke but, because of the lessened friction without the oil rings, it flew.....

ahhhhhh, those were the days....

NHRA rules for stock classes were very flexible and questionable back in the 60s. Basically it was that if a part was available over the counter in the year of the car it could be used. That's why many chev delivery sedans were popular in a number of classes as the cars could be "built" using the overcounter parts. You couldn't order the car from the factory that way, but theoretically you could (according to NHRA) therefore you could use the over the counter parts. For the Ford B/W overdrive that Bill mentions, it was another way around the rule as the B/W OD trans can not take any punishment at all in a stock configuration. The OD unit was at the tailshaft of the trans and I'm sure something could have been adapted inside the empty case when the OD components were taken out.

Last edited by GCD1962; 09-17-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Does anyone have a picture of the Kanners Corvette?
Dan although the pictures are terrible, the memories are still pretty vivid. Dave was a real character and one hell of a driver. As far as gassers go it is right up there with my all time favorites and not so much as to how it looked but how he drove it to a bunch of speed and ET records from 67-69. He ran a 427 with a torgueflite and then switched to a clutchflite I believe in 68 (with a push button console where his shifter should be). If he wanted to he could have used that car for a wheelstander. The second pic has his car in the background. Wish I had taken better pics of it in the day.-Jim

Quick Reply: Buckshot-Lombardos 61 Vette