C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is anyone running BF Goodrich Radial TAs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:51 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 985 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
and a Flare-ectomy.

This is one midyear that I really like with flares. Looks like this may be the Forum's next online poll.

Ray
Old 09-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Cj_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have them on the '65... white walls out
Old 09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Seems that all the posts have been positive for this tire. I bought my car with 70's era BFG TA's and replaced them with new BFG TA's. They look great on my chromed wide Rallyes.
BUT, the car seemed a little squirrely to me at high speeds, and I never thought it was the tires until mechron showed me just how much they move laterally upon side pressure to the fenders. They aren't as stiff as, say, Goodyear Eagles, which I heard aren't available anymore.
So I'm learning how to do proper burnouts and will replace with Goodyear or high end Michelins (I had the Pilots on my MBZ 560 SEC). I really liked the BFG's but I think I want a performance tire next.
DOKK, as i told you i have never been a fan of the BFGs, (smoke me here guys ). i switched from goodyear eagles to the BFGs on my nascar suspentioned SS396 when they first came out (circa 1971). doing a parking lot skid pad, the BFGs would wallow, and you couldn't hang the rear end out like you could with the good year eagles.

now i buy NASCAR good year eagles, they are unused nascar tires off Ebay, and are cheap and unused tires.
more info later,l i'm tired,,,
Old 09-05-2009, 06:51 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Check out Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

I run a larger rear tire on my 65, so after mid to low satisfaction running through two sets of BFG Radial T/A the only alternative I could find to match the tires in both sizes were Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

Bought 'em through TireRack a few years ago and so glad I switched. IMHO the Firehawks are a far superior tire. Better ride, cornering, wet traction, quieter and better looking too.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
This is one midyear that I really like with flares. Looks like this may be the Forum's next online poll.

Ray
Ray,
That's the nicest thing anyones ever said to me...
I think I'm gonna cry! ;{ )
Old 09-05-2009, 10:44 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Ray,
That's the nicest thing anyones ever said to me...
I think I'm gonna cry! ;{ )
ray is setting you up,6t7.....he will ask to be in the will next and already has the route planned from ok city!!.......
Old 09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

PaulUptime, any photos of the car with those Firestones? The OP may be just wanting the stock size tires, which probably can be found in many brands. My larger tires in the rear will be 295 or 305/15/10, so I am limited. BFG didn't have those sizes, so I compromised with 275 and I regret it.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:44 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

The tires are 215/70/15 front and 235/70/15 rears.

You can see them on my '65 in my pic gallery, and the supersize closeup image at TireRack.

Here's my preferred view of them (in motion)

Last edited by PaulUptime; 09-05-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:18 PM
ehjr02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 21-yo T/As myself (it's long past time to replace them), so I've been shopping too. Check out the Tire Rack ratings for the old muscle-car sized tires:

BF Goodrich TA Radial, Spirited Driving Style, 216 votes, Average Overall Rating = 7.46.

Compare that to the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, Spirited Driving Style, 427 votes, Average Overall Rating = 8.49.

Read through some of the comments; hardly a negative one for the Firestone tires. I've been very happy with each of 4 tire purchases based on Tire Rack survey results. I'll probably be going with the Indy 500's this time.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:26 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
I believe DiamondBack is doing them as Redlines now.
I have them on my 61 with wide whitewalls. I was talking to Diamondback at Carlisle. He can put a redline, goldline or whitewall on the Comp T/A or the Michelins. They both handle very well
Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Jerry Bowen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had BFG Radial T/As on my '73 and later on my '58 Corvette. Back then, I loved them. I really liked them at the time, as they were easily balanced, relatively light, vibration free, well behaved, etc. A good non-steel belted everyday driving tire as I recall. I experienced no fender rub issues.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a fender rub problem with a 215/70 R15 tire size on a C2? Isn't the Coker size 205/75 R15 nylon radial (or possibly a 205/75 R15 all-season steel-belted specialty tire modified by Diamond Back) about as large as can be used safely under a non-flared C2 fender?

I had to fix all four fenders on my '65, due to damage I believe resulted from 215/70 R15 BFGs and Goodyears over the years. According to the previous owner, the damage occurred over time when big bumps/dips were hit. Can't small bumps potentially can damage the front fenders with the wheels turned all the way. The 8" tread width is huge compared to the 4.67" tread of the stock tire. Anybody have experience with this? Is this all in my head? Would really appreciate some clarification on this.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Default Rub issues

Since these cars all sit differently with years of unique experience and mods behind them, fit and rub issues will vary.

My car arrived to me 10 years ago pretty much as you see it in my pictures. Rear fender flares, a 454 big block and composite rear leaf. It was running a set of older BFG Radial T/A's and there were no sign the tires were scrubbing the fenders anywhere.

Not long after getting the car, I experienced total tread separation of the drivers side front tire at speed on the highway. The fender and rocker area sustained some damage and in an instant I was driving on bare belts but the tire stayed inflated. I blamed age/dry rot and replaced them with another set of the same size/type BFG's. A full alignment was done to ensure they were rolling without additional stresses.

That set lasted a few years but I would never consider the Radial T/A's offered any performance or ride benefits. Since then, I've changed out my front springs when the car went back to small block, and I switched my Muncie to a Keisler/Tremec 5spd. Still no rub issues.

Switching to the Firehawks immediately improved the way the car tracks, rides and I think looks better too. We'll see even more benefits when this week when I swap in a new Borgeson steering box, all new shocks and complete bushing overhaul with Prothane components.

Everyone's experience will differ, but my next set will likely be another round of the same Firehawks.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:27 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jerry Bowen
I had BFG Radial T/As on my '73 and later on my '58 Corvette. Back then, I loved them. I really liked them at the time, as they were easily balanced, relatively light, vibration free, well behaved, etc. A good non-steel belted everyday driving tire as I recall. I experienced no fender rub issues.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a fender rub problem with a 215/70 R15 tire size on a C2? Isn't the Coker size 205/75 R15 nylon radial (or possibly a 205/75 R15 all-season steel-belted specialty tire modified by Diamond Back) about as large as can be used safely under a non-flared C2 fender?

I had to fix all four fenders on my '65, due to damage I believe resulted from 215/70 R15 BFGs and Goodyears over the years. According to the previous owner, the damage occurred over time when big bumps/dips were hit. Can't small bumps potentially can damage the front fenders with the wheels turned all the way. The 8" tread width is huge compared to the 4.67" tread of the stock tire. Anybody have experience with this? Is this all in my head? Would really appreciate some clarification on this.
Jerry, I have been running 215-70-15's on my 65 for many years with no problems. Most everyone I know that runs them on a mid-year has no interference/scraping problems. As long as the car has no frame/suspension issues these work fine.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:31 PM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish they still made the Euro TA's.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used T/A's for about 25 years with excellent street results on everything from my C2 to my Suburban to my daughter's old BMW. I am getting 60-70,00 miles per tire on the heavy Suburban. No flats or other problems as experienced with Firestone and Goodyear, and the BFG dealers seem much nicer in my experience.

Some complain about "squirreliness". I have learned through experimentation that these tires need more air pressure for best handling and mileage, at least 36 pounds all around for the C2 on the street and about 40 front and 32 rear for slaloms. The Suburban does best with 39 pounds all around.

BTW the T/A's Greenwood used on his race 'Vettes were quite different from today's, with RAYON belt construction. That said, IMO almost any good S or up-rated modern street tire is equal or better than the race tires of 30 years ago.

Quick Reply: Is anyone running BF Goodrich Radial TAs