C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which LS engine for a C1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
don peters
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Which LS engine for a C1?

Getting ready to update my 62. Would appreciate input about which LS engine would be best fit for the C1's. LS1 or LS?? Accessory location appears to be different on Corvettes, Camaro and Pontiac GTO's. Will be using a new frame and automatic transmission.
Thanks
Don
Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 141 Posts

Default What do you call "fit"

Fit?. Describe fit? Or rather make fit, with a hundred new parts and a few hundred hundreds!

I think it depends how far you want to go.

describe your expected outcome.

How far gone is your car from stock?
Its the dark side, no turning back.
You have to really commit!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

As far as the best engine, there is absolutely no difference in any of the LS engines. The lowly 4.8 liter engine is the exact same external dimensions and mounting points as the LS7! Now, that being said, there are many different accessory drive setups, and none of them fit the C1 very well. Most people use something like Street and Performance's high/wide drive setup. It kind of depends on what accessories you are going to run. If you are just going to run Alternator and PS pump, the Corvette style alternator/PS bracket will probably work, but no stock GM A/C bracket will work. F body LS1 and GTO's used a drive setup that was 3/4" further forward then the Corvette, but I believe all current LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9, L76 and all the others use the Corvette balancer and water pump, which moves the belt back.

This is one of the expensive things for these conversions. buying a drive setup that will work. Of course, you have to use side mounts, which means a rack and pinion steering unit, which means new front suspension, ............ This is why so many guys that do this swap, just buy a new chassis, that makes provisions for all these items, and gets rid of the X in the middle of the frame which limits your choices in transmissions. as has already been stated, make sure you really understand the costs associated with this before you start down this road.

When all is said and done, it is pretty hard to beat the LS drive train for a powerful, economical, and reliable option, but it ain't an easy swap. Any of the engines will make way more horsepower than you can effectively put to the ground, but a LS3 would be the engine of choice for most people, just since it is the current production model. It is real easy to wring over 500 HP out of these engines without much effort.

I am building my 3rd Resto-mod right now, and I am going with a brand-new 2009 Pontiac G8 motor and six speed automatic trans.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New crate LS3 + GMs own controller kit. Absolutely the best bang for the buck

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Pa...roller_Kit.jsp
Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Go with a big small block and 700R4 if all you want is more power.

Same HP capability as an LS motor (almost, depending on budget) without the conversion hassles.

But, if you need to put a new frame on because of rust, etc, any LS you can imagine/afford, will work.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 08-18-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
As far as the best engine, there is absolutely no difference in any of the LS engines. The lowly 4.8 liter engine is the exact same external dimensions and mounting points as the LS7! Now, that being said, there are many different accessory drive setups, and none of them fit the C1 very well. Most people use something like Street and Performance's high/wide drive setup. It kind of depends on what accessories you are going to run. If you are just going to run Alternator and PS pump, the Corvette style alternator/PS bracket will probably work, but no stock GM A/C bracket will work. F body LS1 and GTO's used a drive setup that was 3/4" further forward then the Corvette, but I believe all current LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9, L76 and all the others use the Corvette balancer and water pump, which moves the belt back.

This is one of the expensive things for these conversions. buying a drive setup that will work. Of course, you have to use side mounts, which means a rack and pinion steering unit, which means new front suspension, ............ This is why so many guys that do this swap, just buy a new chassis, that makes provisions for all these items, and gets rid of the X in the middle of the frame which limits your choices in transmissions. as has already been stated, make sure you really understand the costs associated with this before you start down this road.

When all is said and done, it is pretty hard to beat the LS drive train for a powerful, economical, and reliable option, but it ain't an easy swap. Any of the engines will make way more horsepower than you can effectively put to the ground, but a LS3 would be the engine of choice for most people, just since it is the current production model. It is real easy to wring over 500 HP out of these engines without much effort.

I am building my 3rd Resto-mod right now, and I am going with a brand-new 2009 Pontiac G8 motor and six speed automatic trans.

Regards, John McGraw
John will the 05 GTO LS2 and Automatic transmission fit a C1, or will the trans not clear the tunnel in the C1, mine is a 1962....
Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Old Vet
John will the 05 GTO LS2 and Automatic transmission fit a C1, or will the trans not clear the tunnel in the C1, mine is a 1962....

Yep, the 4L65E trans will fit in the tunnel without any surgery. It is close, but it fits! I have this drive train in my 59. It actually fits better in the 59 than it does in the 65.

My latest project uses a 6 speed auto, and I am here to tell you, that trans does not fit anything built before 5 years ago! That puppy is tall, and wide at the top. It is also deeper from the centerline to the bottom of the pan, so the pan will hang down lower, no matter what.
I can not imagine putting one of them in an older Corvette.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks John, now I have to just decide on the frame options, Street SHop, Corvette Corrections or modify mine.....
Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Old Vet
thanks John, now I have to just decide on the frame options, Street SHop, Corvette Corrections or modify mine.....
Pretty hard to beat Billy Dawson's frame at Corvette Correction. Good guy to deal with and a great product!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Pretty hard to beat Billy Dawson's frame at Corvette Correction. Good guy to deal with and a great product!
with John. I've built 12 cars on Billy's frames. Great service, great frame. I've used LS1, LS6, LS2, and LS3.........I guess the next one should be an LS9!!!!!! WhoooHooooo!!!!!!!!

Mike Coletta

BTW, I started using the Vintage Air "Frontrunner" pulley system. I've now installed it on 3 cars. It is light years ahead of any other product. Kinda pricey, but worth every dime.

Last edited by mike coletta; 08-19-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which LS engine for a C1?

Quick Reply: Which LS engine for a C1?