C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Calling All Radio Delete Owners.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Calling All Radio Delete Owners.

I too am an owner of a '64 Radio Delete. My question is that I am interested in having some sort of radio/sound, but do not want to cut the dash, or have anything permanently installed.

My thought was to install something in the storage well with a wireless remote to control. Also having a custom fit box with necessary speakers and amp, maybe held in with simple felcro or something similar.

Have any of you done something along these thoughts? Is yes, I would be love to hear what components were used etc....

Pictures would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million,
RK
Old 05-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Dave,
Look me up at the Grille 57 cruise-in today. I'll be on my red 67 again. My car is not radio delete, but I wanted more sound than the original radio offered. I installed a modern stereo with CD, remote, and ipod hook-up in my glovebox. I fabricated a sheetmetal installation box and covered with a thin black headliner material that matches the glove box liner. It's a snug fit and has a 1/2" flange in front that uses the existing screws at the front edge of the glove box assembly. It only takes up the bottom half, so the top half is still open for owners manual, registration card, etc. I added a stealth infrared repeater to run my remote without having to open the glove box to operate. I bought 2 black carpet covered speaker boxes for 6 X 9 speakers in the back. No originality is compromised except a ~2 X 6 rectangle cut in the glove box liner for wires.
Hope to see you there around 4-5. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Garner; 05-15-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I have had 2 Radio delete cars, a 67 and now a 66 both coupes. Put a radio in the glove box.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Build an enclosure that will house the radio / CD player, amp and speakers. All you will need is a hot wire to feed it and an atenna lead. You can take it out whenever you wish or even use it as your garage sound system.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default No Radio Deletes

I believe up until 1980 or so was a radio standard equipment. Before that year you has to order the radio RPO specifically or the car was never factory equipped with one. I know I never ordered a radio for my 63 and it never had one nor was there a credit issued because of it being missing from the order....But I did order the FI and it was so equipped.....I installrd a 8 track
Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Why not cut a new jack panel out of particle board. Mount speakers in both sides and an amp in one side (or in the center between the speakers if you raise the panel a bit). I did this, but the amp is mounted under the passenger seat that was raised 1-3/4" for my wife to see out of the car.

Put a fitting/plug that will allow you to plug an MP3 player right into the amp and a switch attached to a on a "key-on" fuse to turn it on. The amp could then receive power right off the battery and would turn off either at the switch, or the ignition when the car is stopped. Put black carpeting on it and it will look fairly stock.

If your car was not equipped for a radio, you don't have the shields and capacitors in place. Any AM reception would be like popcorn when the engine is running. FM would be better, but not great. But perhaps an MP3 could sound pretty good. (The other day on Woot, I purchased two, 2-gig, rechargable, MP3 players with built in FM at 2/<$30 shipped.)

BTW, without the capacitors, expect the radio to loose its quality whenever you step on the brakes, or turn on the blinkers. I run the stock radio through an aftermarket amp and without some/most(?) of the capacitors, mine does this now. It's as if the treble drops out whenever the brakes/turn signals are applied.

Last edited by toddalin; 05-15-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:12 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Garner
Dave,
Look me up at the Grille 57 cruise-in today. Hope to see you there around 4-5. Jeff
Jeff, Unfortunately I am away, but would love to see the set-up you describe sometime in the future. I like your and Mike Terry's idea about the glove box.
Originally Posted by Vogie
Build an enclosure that will house the radio / CD player, amp and speakers. All you will need is a hot wire to feed it and an atenna lead. You can take it out whenever you wish or even use it as your garage sound system.
I like that idea, cuz the sound system I have currently in the garage isn't not that decent. Now that I am out in the garage more, that too maybe a great idea for what I'm looking to do. Thanks
Originally Posted by toddalin
Why not cut a new jack panel out of particle board. Mount speakers in both sides and an amp in one side (or in the center between the speakers if you raise the panel a bit). I did this, but the amp is mounted under the passenger seat that was raised 1-3/4" for my wife to see out of the car.

Put a fitting/plug that will allow you to plug an MP3 player right into the amp and a switch attached to a on a "key-on" fuse to turn it on. The amp could then receive power right off the battery and would turn off either at the switch, or the ignition when the car is stopped. Put black carpeting on it and it will look fairly stock.

If your car was not equipped for a radio, you don't have the shields and capacitors in place. Any AM reception would be like popcorn when the engine is running. FM would be better, but not great. But perhaps an MP3 could sound pretty good. (The other day on Woot, I purchased two, 2-gig, rechargable, MP3 players with built in FM at 2/<$30 shipped.)

BTW, without the capacitors, expect the radio to loose its quality whenever you step on the brakes, or turn on the blinkers. I run the stock radio through an aftermarket amp and without some/most(?) of the capacitors, mine does this now. It's as if the treble drops out whenever the brakes/turn signals are applied.
Great advice. Something else for me to ponder.... I totaly didn't think about the lack of shielding and capacitors etc.....

Appreciate ALL your input. I like it because it gives me some ideas on how some others have done this. I definitely do NOT want to cut anything, so all your inputs will be under consideration.

Thanks,
RK
Old 05-16-2010, 06:14 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin

I think newer aftermarket radios might have internal engineering to minimize the noise problem. I had a Kenwood AM/FM/cassette and Hartmann retractable antenna put in my non-radio '64 25 years ago and while the AM is buzzy, the FM has always been crystal clear.

Wish I could track down the installer to see if he did anything extra to make it work so well, I didn't see anything under the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling All Radio Delete Owners.

Quick Reply: Calling All Radio Delete Owners.