C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

327 365HP oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Maybe true, but he couldn't take an ounce of criticism, and wouldn't agree with any one that had a different (and correct) point of view.
You are correct. He didn't handle criticism well but maybe because it was usually from those that had no idea what they were talking about. I don't remember Duke posting his "opinions" or "points of view". He posted facts that he could back up. Kind of like making the statement "All Corvettes were made of fiberglass" and then have a bunch of idiots post "I had one made out of metal" or "My brother had a 65 split window made from wood" or "My mechanic used to restore Corvettes and he had 3 that were made out of paper". You get the idea. At what point do you just say "F--- It" and quit posting on that forum? Duke still posts elsewhere quite a bit. However, those forums tend to have members that prefer to post facts, not opinions they falsely claim to be facts.

Jim
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

That makes sense....however there are facts out there that some cant come to grips with (ie should they idealize 30 yr old parts combos that suck by todays tech and standards) as things have changed. it aint 1965 anymore.
I cant stand bad info being passed and will correct it just as i would hope if I posted a no no someone would do the same. Its nothing that has to be taken personally. Put the ego aside before turning on the computer.

Enough hijacking of this dudes thread, my bad.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I have throttled back on my advisory posts quite a bit. I'm only knowledgeable on a few areas on C1s that I've shed blood on and try to restrict my theories to those topics. On about 90% of my posts I try to include an attachment to back up my statements; wiring diagrams, picture, an ST-12 reference, AIM drawing, etc..

I'm also open to second opinions from a short list of knowledgeable people I've met here. There are a whole other layer of folks that couldn't find their own @ss with a GPS and night vision goggles that I ignore.

Somebody gave me a case of ZDDP additive for next to nothing and I will add it until I run out...I will then switch to CI-4 of CJ-4 oils for my solid lifters. 50% because of my own research, 25% because Jim says so and another 25% because JohnZ says so. Good enough for me.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-23-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
You are correct. He didn't handle criticism well but maybe because it was usually from those that had no idea what they were talking about. I don't remember Duke posting his "opinions" or "points of view". He posted facts that he could back up. Kind of like making the statement "All Corvettes were made of fiberglass" and then have a bunch of idiots post "I had one made out of metal" or "My brother had a 65 split window made from wood" or "My mechanic used to restore Corvettes and he had 3 that were made out of paper". You get the idea. At what point do you just say "F--- It" and quit posting on that forum? Duke still posts elsewhere quite a bit. However, those forums tend to have members that prefer to post facts, not opinions they falsely claim to be facts.

Jim
Jim - I get your points, but he wasn't always correct (there are a other regulars here who would agree with me) in all things he posted. The oil stuff yes, he was correct, but if anyone mentioned using an aftermarket part he would go one about how "nothing works, or is better than stock" and he thought all aftermarket performance parts were a big marketing scheme. If someone countered him on this he would go off in a huff.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Jim - I get your points, but he wasn't always correct (there are a other regulars here who would agree with me) in all things he posted. The oil stuff yes, he was correct, but if anyone mentioned using an aftermarket part he would go one about how "nothing works, or is better than stock" and he thought all aftermarket performance parts were a big marketing scheme. If someone countered him on this he would go off in a huff.
That is exactly what happened one of the last times he posted here.

It's not always a good idea for the blind to be led by the blind. Some things, there's solid, accepted knowledge that will be shared by a majority and is supported by facts. Controversial stuff can usually be backed with "facts" with differing points of view. That's why those subjects remain controversial. I think it's best to hear all points of view and then make up your own mind.

I don't know too many people that like things crammed down their throat. It usually comes back up.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Mid life crisis
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I changed my oil in my 64 327/365 from 10w30 to the
Shell Rotella T 15-40wt. My oil pressure looks like it went from around 45-50 to 65-70.
Is that normal with this oil? Could it cause a problem?
Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Oh good,

another zombie thread. By now, 65 L76 is no longer a junior member. He has been a veteran senior member for years, or else he has sold his L76 and moved on to something else.

as to this question, I run 15-40 Wallymart Universal oil in my L76 and it runs at around 65-75 lbs pressure by the gauge all the time off idle. It idles around 45. No problems for many years and many miles....

ps. I know Duke. Duke is a friend of mine. Don't mess with Duke. (I admit he is set in his ways, and does not much care about differing opinions. That's just Duke)

Last edited by 65hihp; 10-07-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 327 365HP oil