C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New long-life battery reccomend's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Default New long-life battery reccomend's?

I'm going to replace the battery in my 63 250hp/no AC/ or power anything. I also have a battery disconnect I use whenever in garage. I would like to buy a replacement that would hopefully have a long service life. It's enough of a PIA to change out I'd gladly spend a few $'s more for a better battery- lib
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 PM
count
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking of using optima ( I think this is the name) yellow top
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need the yellow top Optima, that's a deep cycle. Buy the Red Top Optima, around 160.00, BUT well worth it. Bill.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I keep red top Optimas in all of my cars in storage.

My station wagon, for example, sits for 6 or 8 months at a time with the battery disconnected. When I want to use it, I connect the battery, start the car, and I'm on my way. The only time an Optima has let me down is when I let my Buick Skylark sit for about 16 months between start attempts. The battery needed to be charged before it would start the car.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

We have sold nearly all types of batteries and the longest lasting ones were actually the OE Delcos. Therefore buy a Delco and you will know what you have. Die Hards, Interstate, Exide, those sold in chains, I personally have never had one to outlast the Delcos. Just get the highest cranking amp Delco that will fit....
Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Optma Batteries in several of my cars that sit for long periods. They always start right up with no problem. I have heard that the Optma type construction will keep it's charge longer then "wet" batteries.

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I,ve had very good luck with the Optima.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Red Battery Topper with Sec Tek 3000 Charger

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I keep red top Optimas in all of my cars in storage.

My station wagon, for example, sits for 6 or 8 months at a time with the battery disconnected. When I want to use it, I connect the battery, start the car, and I'm on my way. The only time an Optima has let me down is when I let my Buick Skylark sit for about 16 months between start attempts. The battery needed to be charged before it would start the car.
I like my Optima battery I put in my 1963 Corvette two years ago...I used regular battery and they kept going dead after a year...(Someone suggested headers heat might speeding up its untimely demise..) I used a red topper no problems. Also suggest getting a Sec Tek 3000 battery tender and charger.. They are also designed to be specifically used with Optima batteries. Also called the "Smart Battery Charger"..I havent had a bettery issue in two years

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
We have sold nearly all types of batteries and the longest lasting ones were actually the OE Delcos. Therefore buy a Delco and you will know what you have. Die Hards, Interstate, Exide, those sold in chains, I personally have never had one to outlast the Delcos. Just get the highest cranking amp Delco that will fit....
When I purchased my 87 Vette in 91, I immediately changed the OEM Delco battery (figured it was 4+ years old, and typically I only get 3-5 years out most batteries).

I put that Delco on the shelf as my spare (with a timer / trickle charger that fed it for 1/2 hour a day). A little after we came down to FL in 2005, it finally died. Must not of liked the Florida weather & it was home sick for Illinois. Lasted 18 years!

Zoom forward to our 99 Jimmy with another OEM Delco that failed within 2 years.

My 2003 Vette still has it's OEM Delco AGM battery.

Life always presents us with tests. Sometimes we "pass" and sometimes we "fail". Making sense of the results is just the next test.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-16-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I guess I should throw this additional 2 cents out there...

The reason I like Optimas, is because it's the only battery I've had that can sit in a car disconnected, without any form of "battery tender" device (I have no electricity at my storage facility) and still fire the car up 6 or 8 months later.

If you plan to drive your 63 often, or keep a "battery tender" type of device on it when not in use, then an Optima may be over-kill.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 AM
CP64365
Instructor

If you buy a red top optima battery, you may also need a different battery tender. The optima battery recommend a maximum of 1 Amp for the battery tender. I use a Battery Tender Jr rated at 0.75 Amp and it works great.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 AM
vetzs
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I just replaced a Walmart battery after 7years, not because it let me down. just out of fear of it's age. The Battery still passed a load test with flying colors. I use a battery cut off switch and battery tender.
Only way to go.....
Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

I run optima red top in my 67 BB. Works every time!! No worries ever!!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I have yellow top Optimas in All of my stuff. Vettes, tractors, mowers, outdoor fuel pumps, all of my driver cars, and truck. No battery tenders. Some are 5 years old. Never had a problem. Good luck on your choice.

Mike Coletta
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Ever since I've been using my tenders I have not had a battery failure. Prior to that I was buying at least one battery a year (for 11 cars). I have both expensive and cheap 3 and 5 year batteries. Again the best thing I ever did was to buy the battery tenders.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:19 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Default The votes have been counted! Correct size?

It appears Optima's have captured much of this forum's business and loyalty. My current battery hasn't failed (yet). I am reluctant to use a battery tender, as I rarely go more than 2 weeks with out jammin' for at least a 30 min. daylight cruise to keep the car, and me, charged and loosened-up. That is one of the top benefits of N. Calif. living/climate. I also utilize the battery disconnect as there is no power in the 45 yr. old wiring while garaged. I notice that the Red Top comes in different sizes/amps, etc. Which is recommended part for my car? I would probably go for higher cranking power. Thanx for all the info- lib

Get notified of new replies

To New long-life battery reccomend's?

Quick Reply: New long-life battery reccomend's?