C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Hurst Shifter problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:01 AM
RickSnow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Hurst Shifter problem.

My 67 uses a Hurst shifter and linkage with a reproduction "original look correct" handle. The reverse "T" is non functional on these handles. The shifter works fine with the exception that Reverse, First and third gears are so close together it's easy to put it in Reverse or Third when looking for First gear. Can someone please tell me what I can try to correct this situation.....thanks for the help.

Rick.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rick

I am sorry but I can't help. I have the same shifter and I do not have that problem.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,468 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I have the same car and shifter (short straight). Your shifter should have a very noticable spring action to keep it in the neutral gate side-to-side position. If left there you would naturally go up into 3rd or down into 4th. In the neutral position you should have considerable resistance to go left and up into reverse. If not, something is most likley not adjusted properly. Having said that, is the shifter new or old. If old the now parent company, Mr. Gasket I believe should be able to rebuilt it for a nominal fee. Dennis
Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 PM
mayordaly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, on most of the hurst shifrers there is a guide hole and a tool that looks a plastic allen wrench (you can use an allen) you adjust the linkage rods as tight or loose as you want with the pin in place. hope thats all you need to do.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Hurst Shifter problem.

Quick Reply: 67 Hurst Shifter problem.