C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power Steering Conversion for 1967 small block

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Pup671
Everyone refers to the Jeep conversion. What year and model Jeeps have the Delphi box? Thx!
Just so you know, it's a MODIFIED "Jeep" box. The stock Jeep box will not work. Borgeson machines off the original mounting ears and then welds on new ones that match the Corvette mounting. Then they machine the Pitman arm shaft so it will use the stock Corvette Pitman arm.

When this mod was first developed, there were some that DID use the Jeep box but it takes quite a bit of work. The Borgeson box FITS and works very well. Unless you just like modifying stuff yourself, go with Borgeson.

Steve
Old 05-21-2012, 07:04 PM
jackhays
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rag joint

I've had my unit on for a couple of years now and still love it and would recommend it to everyone except NCRS.
I
noticed some questions posted since I installed and first of all I have had zero leaks.

But, two weeks ago I was coming home and heard a pop and then had alot of slop and clicking in my steering.

I pulled over and opened her up and the rag joint was missing one of the pins and was twisted.

I found the pin in the street about three blocks backtracking!

I has just came off of a high speed flyover at about 60 and hate to think what would have happened if it had came loose there.

The large two nuts are ny-lock but the two small ones against the steel plate are not. I wonder why?

I found another nut and removed the one remining and applied Lock-Tite to both and am thankful I didn't do any real damage.

IMHO all four nuts should be self locking.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Along the same lines (adding aftermarket power steering to your midyear), I noticed the last Super Chevy magazine I received has an ad on the last page before the back cover for American Powertrain's new EZ Electric power steering. A lot of the newer cars are now coming with electric power steering I've noticed, in the interest of assisting with gas mileage figures, I'd assume.

They say they have systems for '55 through '66 Corvettes (sorry '67's) and for Camaros, Tri-Fives, Chevelles, and other popular models. All come with a two year warranty and have 24 hour tech support according to the ad. No mention of price, but the system they show a pic of in the magazine looks to be neat and pretty self-contained.

For me, I'd probably look into this if I were adding an aftermarket system, but I'll stay with the system installed by the General at this point, especially since they're already installed on both cars and are in good running order.

Just information to pass along to you guys. You should be able to find out all you need to know with a Google search. Sorry, but according to forum rules I can't post a link since they're not to my knowledge a forum sponsor. But, if you have a problem, shoot me a quick e-mail and I'll be glad to send you the phone number and website address.

Ron
Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 PM
W.B. @ Bama
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the " Concept One 14:1" on my 66 convertible two years ago, great upgrade, great fit . Will add one to my 71 coupe this fall !

Quick Reply: Power Steering Conversion for 1967 small block