C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus
In the PDF article that DaveZ sent over it says:

"Remember to locate the grounding lug underneath the correct mounting screw."

Is that true, that there is a special grounding lug? I thought that any screw becomes the ground?
Just to be clear. Is there a special grounding screw on the fuel sending unit that then goes to the cluster?

If there is, then I guess that this is the location on the fuel sending unit that you would attach and run another ground down the tank and past the fuel line and then attach to the frame.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Just to be clear. Is there a special grounding screw on the fuel sending unit that then goes to the cluster?
No, there isn't. The ground wire in the harness for the fuel sender goes rearward and does double-duty as the ground for all the rear lights, grounding to the frame at the left rear of the trunk (which is why the fuel gauge needle flickers when the brake lights or turn signals are operating). Run a separate ground from the fuel sender directly to the frame, just below where the main fuel line exits the tank compartment.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

In the PDF article that DaveZ sent over it says:

"Remember to locate the grounding lug underneath the correct mounting screw."

Is that true, that there is a special grounding lug? I thought that any screw becomes the ground?
I was unable to quickly find that text reference in the PDF article published by John H. and referenced by DZVette, but any one of the zending unit mounting screws serves as a sufficient end point for the ground wire.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 62RDSTR
Yes...I picked up a small bottle with flourescent light and goggles (to help see the liquid) at O'reilly Auto. Usually it is found on the aisle displays. I have also seen it at AdvanceAuto.

When you get it, you don't have to empty the bottle. A little of this stuff goes a long way. It has helped me find several leaks (pinholes in tank, fuel pump, etc...) as well as eliminate areas that are not leaking.

Jim
I went to buy the stuff yesterday. The guy at Advance Auto looked at me like I was nuts. He swore there is no such thing, but if there was, then you must have mechanic's lisence to get it!!! Since there is an Auto Zone directly across the street, I went there next. They were busy, so after looking around, I got in line to ask the guy at the desk. He looked at me like I was nuts! Then he asked a few of the other guys. Even though it was a busy store several of them were discussing my problem and giving all kinds of advice and generally telling me how lucky I was to own a 1961 Corvette. It was nice of them to take the time to try to help even if they were not really helping. Just then, another guy from the other side of the store comes over and joins the coversation. He new exactly what I needed, went to the display with the stuff and handed it to me.

The moral of the story: Just because you really are nuts does not mean you aren't right! Also, there is better advice on this forum than in the parts store with the "experts".

I will be trying the dye later today after I finish my chores. Wish me luck!

Last edited by gr8corvette; 09-20-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

I put the dye in the gas tank and then went for a great drive on a local highway. Finished with local traffic driving. Then went to look for the gas leak.

I found nothing. I know the black light works because I got some of the dye on my fingers and I could see them shine under the black light. I crawled under the car and illuminated the gas pump from below from all angles. Then did the same from above. I also took off the air cleaner and illuminated all sides of the carborator. Frustrated, I got out the swivel mirror and started looking in the nooks and crannies that could not be seen from above. Still nothing. Even more frustrated, I took the mirror to all angles of the fuel pump again. Still nothing.

I only get to drive her once a week. Each time I do drive her, the fuel smell is a little less. It is currently a lot less than the first time I drove her. I suspect the seals were just dry initially and now they are expanding to fill in the leaks.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Chevyman for life
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I restored the '59 the owner said there had always been a gas smell. I replaced all the gaskets, filler neck rubber connector, "correct" cap, new vent tube, 3M stripped around the tank lid area and checked the tank for leaks.

There is no longer a smell that is noticeable unless I open the gas lid and get close. I assume this is just from the vent tube which is open and in warm weather at least is probably expanding fumes out the vent. I think I noticed it a little test driving the car for a while but in the passenger seat I couldn't smell it at all. This is with the top down (acutally doesn't have the top installed yet) so my guess is it's from the vent tube.

That would indicate that some smell is unavoidable. Can anyone else confirm this or do you have a car that has absolutely no smell when the top is down?

Appreciate any comments.
Thanks,

Gerry
Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

I replaced all the gaskets, filler neck rubber connector, "correct" cap, new vent tube, 3M stripped around the tank lid area and checked the tank for leaks. The connector tube in my Vette is new, I purchase a new correct cap, etc. Which gaskets are you referring to?

I think I noticed it a little test driving the car for a while but in the passenger seat I couldn't smell it at all. This is with the top down (acutally doesn't have the top installed yet) so my guess is it's from the vent tube. Wow, I haven't driven't while sitting in the passenger seat!!

I have no smell while driving, even while the top is up. The smell becomes apparent when I put it in the garage and close the door. After an hour, the smell is gone. Also, it is getting less each time I drive.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
I replaced all the gaskets, filler neck rubber connector, "correct" cap, new vent tube, 3M stripped around the tank lid area and checked the tank for leaks. The connector tube in my Vette is new, I purchase a new correct cap, etc. Which gaskets are you referring to?

I think I noticed it a little test driving the car for a while but in the passenger seat I couldn't smell it at all. This is with the top down (acutally doesn't have the top installed yet) so my guess is it's from the vent tube. Wow, I haven't driven't while sitting in the passenger seat!!

I have no smell while driving, even while the top is up. The smell becomes apparent when I put it in the garage and close the door. After an hour, the smell is gone. Also, it is getting less each time I drive.
Is it a raw gas smell or just the sweetish smell of good 'ole burnt hydrocarbons ? My car still smells after a hot run when it is put straight into the garage....but its exhaust related..
Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Chevyman for life
Intermediate

No, this is a very slight raw gas odor. Can't smell it when I go into the garage when the car has been there unless I open the gas lid and get my head within a foot or so. I'm sure it's coming from the gas fill area. I don't think the owner can smell it when driven but I'm sure I did. My guess is with the top up there won't be a smell inside the car but I'm still trying to find a top shop who has done several C1's. The driving smell was with the top down.

Gerry
Old 09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Maybe its time to look forward from the tank. After tracking a gas smell for a week or so last summer I found slight fuel leakage around a fuel pump line fitting. Of course, once the car was shut off and fuel pressure at zero the leak stopped and the smell dissipated.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Chevyman for life
Intermediate

I went over and checked the '59 gas cap today. It was the CC replacement cap which turns out to be vented. I epoxied the vent hole in it from the inside. The vent hole was a little larger diameter than the vent tube opening from the tank so that should reduce vent fumes more than half. Now I have to get my nose down by the open filler area to smell anything. Hopefully it won't allow enough fumes to smell while driving.

I also checked fuel lines a little while ago. Everything's new and not leaking. Thanks for suggestions.

Gerry
Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyman for life
I went over and checked the '59 gas cap today. It was the CC replacement cap which turns out to be vented.
Yeah for some reason they insist on selling a vented cap as correct. Makes no sense to me.

Quick Reply: gas smell