C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Can anyone identify these transmissions, shifter, bellhousing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
i4abuy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone identify these transmissions, shifter, bellhousing.

Hello gentlemen,
I asked in an earlier thread for help to id the block and heads. Thanks for all of your help. You guys are great. I have sent the block and heads to be magged and tested.
If you all could help to id the 2 transmissions, bellhousing, shifter, shifter mount and motor mounts. Are they desirable? I am trying to find all of these parts a new home. Should I seperate the motor mounts from the bellhousing and block? Should I seperate the shifter from the mount?
Here are the links to all of the photos and slide show. Please advise. It would be nice if these can help some of you complete your projects with the correct parts.
http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow
http://gs149.photobucket.com/groups/s61/IN89KYNC7N/
If I am not sure how desireable they are or their potential value is my best bet ebay? You can email me at info@firstclassdances.com or call 763-786-6429.
Thanks again guys.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,757 Likes on 820 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I am going to take a stab at this and say that it might be a very old GM 4-speed Hydramatic with a B & M Shifter. There were a one and two coupling types beginning in '53 with the one coupler. The two coupling type was also called Flashaway by AMC; Jetaway by Olds; and Strato-Flight by Pontiac. These began production in 1956.

The one you have looks like a one coupling type (I could be wrong) that was used by GM from '53-'56. That lever off of the pan is strange and looks like something found on the two coupler.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 06-09-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

The first link didn't get me to any of your pictures, the second one did.

It looks to me like a mid-50s 4sp Hydramatic (maybe like used in Olds). Also, some other vehicle applications used the same or similar type tranny. I know at one time, some mid-50s Chevy pickups used a 4sp Hydramatic similar to the Olds tranny, but those bell housings have the motor mount pattern for a passenger car.
Most likely, the shifters are aftermarket----------------maybe made by one of the big name auto tranny shops (in the day) such as B&M.

Value????????????? ONLY to someone who is looking for one of those old setups! Back in the day, a 4sp GM Hydramatic setup by B&M was the killer ticket. Today's auto trannys are far superior.

Tom Parsons
Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

I see Dan is of the same opinion.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
i4abuy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I acquired these over 25 years ago, along with a 56 Corvette block and heads that have already been identified in an earlier post. I was told the transmissions and shifter were a 4 speed auto from a 56' Corvette. I have since been told by you guys on this forum that there was no such thing as a 4 speed auto for Corvette in 56. I dont't know how to attach the link to the earlier thread about the block, heads and valve covers.
Here is a link to all of the photos http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww298/i4abuy1/
Is the bellhousing off of that 56 block? Do the motor mounts look correct for 56? Please advise.
Thank you. You guys are great.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,757 Likes on 820 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The transmission in your picture has its own distinct ATF pan. It is not a manual transmission and it is certainly not from a '56 Corvette.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:59 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

The bell housing ABSOLUTELY has a bolt pattern to fit a Chevy V8 engine (unique to Chevy engines). PERIOD!
The wording cast into the bell housing is nothing that I've ever seen before-------------------ON ANY KIND OF CHEVY HOUSING. Without question, the tranny is a GM tranny (because of the info on the tranny).
As I pointed out above, the housings have mounts that appear to be the same as 55-57 passenger car bell housings. Corvettes NEVER had provision for engine mounting on the bell housing. Never.
Also, as I pointed out above, I've seen mid-50s pickup trucks with a 4sp hydramatic tranny (similar, or the same as on mid-50s Olds). BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, the side mount flats on pickup bell housings are different than the side mount flats on pass car housings.

Next, mid-50s pass car auto trannys were totally different from those in your pictures, plus, Chevys (neither pass cars nor Vettes) DID NOT have 4sp hydramatic trannys.
Thus, for sure, I do not know what those bell housings and trannys came from.

But here is what I DO know:
1. The bell housings have a Chevy V8 bolt pattern
2. The angled flats on the housings APPEAR to be the same as those on 55-57 Chevy pass cars.
3. There is NO MOUNING PROVISION on those tranny tail housings for installation in a later model car.
4. The shifter does not look like any GM part I've ever seen
5. The trannys have the same, or at least very similar, appearance to the mid-50s Olds 4sp hydramatic trannys.

If I were you, I'd go over to the Chevytalk forum and inquire either in the 55-57 Stock, 55-57 Modified, or Truck section to see if someone can provide more information. Personally, I'm quite curious to know what those fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 06-10-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Old Junior Stock drag racers (Wayne Jessel (Dan's younger brother)) used the 56 Chevy Sedan Delivery body(then considered a truck!) with the 265 and a 4sp Hydramatic that the trucks used...this is a possibility

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone identify these transmissions, shifter, bellhousing.

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify these transmissions, shifter, bellhousing.