C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Title Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
vette4470
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Title Question

I live in Idaho. I bought a 1960 Corvette from a guy who has owned it since 1970. When he bought it, he lived in Washington and had it titled there in his name. When he moved to Idaho ten years ago, he brought the car with him but since the car was not operable, he never transferred the title to Idaho. When I bought the car, he could not find the original title. Of course Washington has no record of a 40-year-old title. In Idaho, we are able to still get the car titled on what is called a "conditional title". These are issued for vehicles ten or more years old when the applicant is unable to present ownership documents sufficient to satisfy normal titling requirements. The titles are issued with the following brand: Issued on Statement of Applicant, Brand Exp: mm/dd/yy. After three years, you can apply to have another titled issued that does not have this verbage noted on it. My question is, is this common, does hurt the value of the car and will it affect resale desirability?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by vette4470
I live in Idaho. I bought a 1960 Corvette from a guy who has owned it since 1970. When he bought it, he lived in Washington and had it titled there in his name. When he moved to Idaho ten years ago, he brought the car with him but since the car was not operable, he never transferred the title to Idaho. When I bought the car, he could not find the original title. Of course Washington has no record of a 40-year-old title. In Idaho, we are able to still get the car titled on what is called a "conditional title". These are issued for vehicles ten or more years old when the applicant is unable to present ownership documents sufficient to satisfy normal titling requirements. The titles are issued with the following brand: Issued on Statement of Applicant, Brand Exp: mm/dd/yy. After three years, you can apply to have another titled issued that does not have this verbage noted on it. My question is, is this common, does hurt the value of the car and will it affect resale desirability?

If you hold it for three years I wouldn't worry about it. If you bought it for resale, I would say "yeah" it will hurt it because the buyer can't be sure the car wasn't stolen more than 10 years ago. JMO
Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't think it'd really hurt unless you need to sell within three years. It'd probably be worth having the police run the VIN through the NCIC computer to make sure it's not stolen or something like that (since you're not getting a title). No sense worrying about it now though, after you bought the car.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM
vette4470
Intermediate

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I have already done all the NCIC stuff. I am confident it is not stolen or anything like that and that the background on the car is accurate. I am just concerned about the notation on the title for those three years.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Washington should have some record of the car. Just because it is BC doesn't mean it is not out there. Someone at their DMV might have to expend some extra effort.

I have already done all the NCIC stuff. I am confident it is not stolen or anything like that and that the background on the car is accurate. I am just concerned about the notation on the title for those three years.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:55 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Every state is different and the laws always change. In CT, the state will not issue a title for a car over 10 years old and a title is not required for an out of state car over 10 years old.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM
corvettecsn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car was titled in Wa. they still have a record of it. I bought a 56 corvette that was out of a wrecking yard in Bellingham Wa. in 72. The only thing I had was a bill of sale and an application for a title. I live in Oregon now but took what little paperwork I had with a great deal of apprehension to a DMV in WA. in 2006 when I traded it off for another Corvette. A few clicks on the DMV computor using the VIN and Lic. plate number plus a chewing out for taking 30 years to get a title one was issued. I was suprised they still had record of it but was told if it wasn't crushed the title is still active. Tell the guy you bought it from to file for a lost title. If there isn"t a record something else is going on.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:41 AM
vette4470
Intermediate

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Both the original owner and I have tried several times through Washington and we are repeated told that there is no way they can find a record of this title, especially since the car hasn't been registered since 1972. Consequently, they are also telling him he can't file for a lost title in Washington. So we are left with this "Conditional Title" option.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

I lost the title to the 56 I bought shortly after purchase. The last titled owner about seven years earlier lived in PA. I got hold of him and he filed for lost title. When he received it he forwarded it to me. Washington state has a record and the previous owner can apply for lost title. You just need to contact someone in the DMV that doesn't have their thumb up their azz or too lazy to work. However you may have to make several hundred phone calls to find that person.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:37 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Both the original owner and I have tried several times through Washington and we are repeated told that there is no way they can find a record of this title, especially since the car hasn't been registered since 1972. Consequently, they are also telling him he can't file for a lost title in Washington. So we are left with this "Conditional Title" option.
Two years ago I purchased a car with a WA title from a person living in Louisiana. The person I got the car from had recently obtained it without a title but a bill of sale showing WA. I checked with WA and the car had not been registered since 1974 and they still had a record. We contacted the 74 owner, got a BOS from him to the guy I bought it from, with that he was able to get a current WA title and I bought it at that point. WA MVO was very helpful. Good Luck.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In September of '06 I did some research through Washington State Dept of Public Disclosure to try to find my old 62 that I traded off in 1972.

The clerk, named Danielle, at tel: 360 902-3780 was very helpful. She explained that their records only went back to 1986, but she said that she would submit it to research and see what they might find.

Danielle called me back and said that the car had been in their system as recently as 2001 and the last registration from WA expired in March 1990. It was last owned by someone on the west side of the state.....but she could not give me the exact location or the owner's name (for privacy reasons).

All I had to give her was the old license plate number and the year and make of the car.

Incidentally she said her Dad had a 61 Corvette.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Doug
Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Default Worth its weight in Gold !

Originally Posted by Workin On 59
In September of '06 I did some research through Washington State Dept of Public Disclosure to try to find my old 62 that I traded off in 1972.

The clerk, named Danielle, at tel: 360 902-3780 was very helpful. She explained that their records only went back to 1986, but she said that she would submit it to research and see what they might find.

Danielle called me back and said that the car had been in their system as recently as 2001 and the last registration from WA expired in March 1990. It was last owned by someone on the west side of the state.....but she could not give me the exact location or the owner's name (for privacy reasons).

All I had to give her was the old license plate number and the year and make of the car.

Incidentally she said her Dad had a 61 Corvette.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Doug

this information, if it works is priceless.. Gotta love this forum !
Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Normally you'd just bring a hand scribbled bill of sale and application for new title into your local DMV claiming pre-title date of transfer, but I see Idaho has been issuing titles on Motor vehicles since 1927 and Washington since 1933, so apply for lost title with DMV's research dept. seems to be the answer.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In Kalifornia you have the seller sign DMV forms for lost title or application for duplicate title since it was lost. They then do a history search for last registered owner. If it the same person, they can issue a new title with no restrictions.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:09 PM
53 Blue Flame
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the vin ran on the NCIC to make sure it hads NEVER been stolen, ever.

I do this on every old Corvette I purchase.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,352 Likes on 2,782 Posts

I think the notation will affect the value and sale appeal for those 3 years.

Any caveat or explanation that comes with a title will make a car a little less attractive.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
vette4470
Intermediate

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Well based on some of this advice, I have tried numerous other avenues with Washington, all still without success. I did call Danielle as Doug suggested. She was very nice but told me that their records only go back six years now. She said it used to be 20 years, then 10, now it's only six. That is consistent with what everybody else there has told me too. So I am left with getting a title here in Idaho as I described. It won't be any problem to get one, I just wanted to avoid having that "brand" on it for three years. But, it sounds like that is as good as it is going to get. Thanks to all those who offered input, this is a great forum, Mike.

Get notified of new replies

To Title Question

Quick Reply: Title Question