C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Seen the Price of GM stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Dave K.
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Seen the Price of GM stock?

Is now a good time to buy?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Dick Horzen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need wallpaper..............
Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

It will be zero on money when it files for Chap 11
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Do a search on the same subject a few weeks ago when GM was around $5.00 a share and several folks thought it was the right time to buy.

Reflect on what was said at the time . . . .
Old 05-29-2009, 09:10 PM
rick66
Pro

Bankrupt company share prices rarely go to zero $. However, they usually get real close. I would not touch it with monopoly money.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by rick66
Bankrupt company share prices rarely go to zero $. However, they usually get real close. I would not touch it with monopoly money.
True, but depending on the exit plan, more often then not the previously held stock (stock bought prior to Chapter 11) will be worthless. New stock will be issued (sold).
Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2-year view reminds me of the Pyroclastic Flow from a volcano....

Today's view entered uncharted territory, bottoming at 74¢ and closing at 75¢,
both new lows. Unthinkable only a few months ago......

Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider20
True, but depending on the exit plan, more often then not the previously held stock (stock bought prior to Chapter 11) will be worthless. New stock will be issued (sold).
Nice looking car on your avatar.
Too bad we all weren't aware of last night's union vote. I had been planning to buy G.M. stock upon its reorganization but with this new vote I wonder if G.M. will skirt bankruptcy?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave K.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:25 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi

Too bad we all weren't aware of last night's union vote. I had been planning to buy G.M. stock upon its reorganization but with this new vote I wonder if G.M. will skirt bankruptcy?

What would "we" have done differently if "we" had only known and why?

Just curious.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM
philip964
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM has remained higher than I would have suspected for some time. Usually as things this get this bad the stock lingers in the .25 range before bankrupsy.

I suspect "gamblers" I can't use the word "investor" any longer, feel there will be some last minute repreave. After bankrupsy is filed many times the stock will bounce sometimes as much as 200%, with the strange belief the stockholders will get something. But this is when the stock is selling for pennies. Not at todays GM price.

I will repeat a hard lesson I have learned. It doesnt matter whether you bought GM at 98 dollars or 98 cents. When a company goes bankrupt you loose the same. Both investors loose everything.

GM is also a good case for not "averaging down".

Last edited by philip964; 05-30-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeM
What would "we" have done differently if "we" had only known and why?

Just curious.
Mike, Unless I am misreading the news story, it appears that an agreement to put a freeze on benefits and assume partial ownership in the company by the rank and file has taken place. IMO, this may mean a vested interest by the workers to trim and manage time and skills more effectively and efficiently (perhaps, getting mangement to look at effective design, marketing,internal redundancy and compensation plans). It is also my opinion that it means bankruptcy is being held at bay. Prior to this event, I had taken the position that the time to buy G.M. would be post bankruptcy and restructure with a new management team and union concessions. Well, if G.M. is already in that mode and the price of stock closed at .75 Friday then ...........???? vs. a probable upward shift Monday. Just my opinion though.
Not to say it will not continue to be a good investment but it takes a lot less movement at the bottom for a big percentage gain than a move later.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

The stock is worthless. SEC should have stop trading of it even before details of how the Bankruptcy and reorganization were to be handled.

If GM's assets are being sold off to new GM company with US Government, Unions as the two major stockholders and GM current Bond Holders at best minor stockholders and they were GM Senior Debt holders, why would you think holders of GM common stock would even get a penny in return. They are wiped out.

GM execs have been selling off their stock for weeks to fools willing to buy it as they sure the hell know with their INSIDER knowledge to dump it.

If you want it for wall paper, make sure you understand what you have to do to get a share of stock in your hand.

The only stock I own that I have a share I can hold in my hand are keep in a safety deposit box isn't even per share. It's one piece of paper with number on shares on it that I own on it. Can't cover much of a wall with it and it's close to being a wall decoration too...LOL
Old 05-30-2009, 02:24 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Stock will be essentially worthless as soon as GM files for Chapt 11. The plan for the "new" GM will be to issue 100 times the existing shares and then doing a 100 to 1 revrse stock swap. That would mean any existing shares @ $.75 would be worth only $.0075, less than a penny a share. It's also said that the stock will not trade for about three years.

If you think the UAW really gave in to anything, I suggest you read the agreement. The only thing given up were ridiculous benefits and perks that no other company ever gave to a union.

http://www.uawlocal160.org/images/20...Layout%201.pdf

What is left of GM management are simply puppets for the gov't and UAW. No doubt another $100 billion of taxpayers money will be wasted on GM before someone finally says that's enough.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

If we had cheap gas as was illustrated 6 weeks ago the problem could have worked itself out. Fuel has killed the economy not once bet several times and it should have been a signal to the so called smart people You may not agree with Bush on some of his projects but his statement "drill for oil" last summer actually turned the economy to the positive side. All the "O" needed to do is follow Bush`s lead. but no, hes a tree hugging greener. Instead what we get is more taxes. And now in the wind is a 25% add valorem Federal sales tax to pay for his medical promise issues. Those that dont pay now will still not pay.Anyone that voted that sucker in should be exported....
Old 05-30-2009, 05:46 PM
BMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironcross
If we had cheap gas as was illustrated 6 weeks ago the problem could have worked itself out. Fuel has killed the economy not once bet several times and it should have been a signal to the so called smart people You may not agree with Bush on some of his projects but his statement "drill for oil" last summer actually turned the economy to the positive side. All the "O" needed to do is follow Bush`s lead. but no, hes a tree hugging greener. Instead what we get is more taxes. And now in the wind is a 25% add valorem Federal sales tax to pay for his medical promise issues. Those that dont pay now will still not pay.Anyone that voted that sucker in should be exported....

sorry man, but with all do respect, you have no clue what you're talking about and you're one of those folks who wants to blame the problem on one man, or political party when it is a problem created by our society. Both the republican and democratic parties are equally inept, but this isn't on our politicians, unless you believe in more government control and regulation, which I'll bet you don't. Not sure if you were paying attention, but this economy crashed before O took office. This isn't even on Bush. This is 100% on the banking industry and people / businesses who took loans they had no business financing. If the dow were still around 14,000 and people were doubling their home values every 12-18 months, no one would give a damn if the price of gas had doubled.

Last edited by BMS; 05-30-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 817 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Mike, Unless I am misreading the news story, it appears that an agreement to put a freeze on benefits and assume partial ownership in the company by the rank and file has taken place. IMO, this may mean a vested interest by the workers to trim and manage time and skills more effectively and efficiently (perhaps, getting mangement to look at effective design, marketing,internal redundancy and compensation plans). It is also my opinion that it means bankruptcy is being held at bay. Prior to this event, I had taken the position that the time to buy G.M. would be post bankruptcy and restructure with a new management team and union concessions. Well, if G.M. is already in that mode and the price of stock closed at .75 Friday then ...........???? vs. a probable upward shift Monday. Just my opinion though.
Not to say it will not continue to be a good investment but it takes a lot less movement at the bottom for a big percentage gain than a move later.
If the unsecured creditors receive nothing, common shareholders receive less than nothing. The ball game is over. Once they recaptialize, a new chapter begins.

Get notified of new replies

To Seen the Price of GM stock?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 817 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The stock is worthless. SEC should have stop trading of it even before details of how the Bankruptcy and reorganization were to be handled.

The short sellers need something so they can close their positions.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 05-30-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:09 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Just read the front page of Yahoo. Boy, was I off on my understanding. I believed G.M. may be in a position to skirt bankruptcy but not with this current article.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:54 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

YES YES .. cash out you 401k now and plug her all into GM!!!!

Quick Reply: Seen the Price of GM stock?