C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Have 56 engine block and trans, what is the value

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 PM
john neas
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
Dean;

Lots of references available that describe the engine suffix codes for 1956 Corvettes.

The FG code is for a 225 hp, automatic trans. The 225 hp engine is equipped with two four barrel carbs.

The base motor engine (not available until April 6, 1956) is a 210 hp engine with a single four barrel carb. Suffix code with a powerglide is FK.

56 Corvette engine break down is as follows:

FK 210 hp (single four barrel) powerglide
FG 225 hp (two four barrels) powerglide
GV 210 hp manual trans (only 3 speed was available)
GR 225 hp manual trans
GU 240 hp (two four barrels, high lift cam), manual trans

I get my engine suffix info from The Lime Book
Ed
Its Friday afternoon and I will list one other. January produced GT motors for race use. 240HP crate. Later in the year the GT was used for pass 56 240 use. I have one of the January motors in my 56 Sebring car. We installed it in 2001. Bought it out of a estate and we have the engineering build order for the motor. Time for a beer have a good weekend.
Regards
Old 05-29-2009, 05:26 PM
i4abuy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have photos of all the casting #s. How do I add those to the post?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:11 PM
john neas
Pro

Originally Posted by john neas
Two things to consider
(1) I do not believe that any factory 265 were originally equiped with domed pistons. However not uncommon to overbore and use 283 FI or aftermarket pop-ups. Panamas engine has 283 or 3 7/8" pistons. Post pictures of pistons and someone can probably identify them.
(2) The sequence number of 50,513 may be to early for a Corvette engine. The block code will help.
Good luck on your research.
Regards
The lowest sequence number that Mike Hunt had in his research was 0214931 for 1956 Corvette # 127X.
Regards
Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

How do you know for sure that the engine was specifically for a Corvette. In 1956 GM placed the 225 HP 265 ci engine in passenger cars and trucks also. Im bet all they did when the 225 hp "power pack' {dual carbs, solid lifter, dual exhaust} was ordered it was merely pulled from inventory stock. ...
Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 PM
john neas
Pro

Wally
Which post were you referring to?
Regards
Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Ed
Its Friday afternoon and I will list one other. January produced GT motors for race use. 240HP crate. Later in the year the GT was used for pass 56 240 use. I have one of the January motors in my 56 Sebring car. We installed it in 2001. Bought it out of a estate and we have the engineering build order for the motor. Time for a beer have a good weekend.
Regards
Now THAT is interesting! Would love to see some pics of that pad.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:53 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by i4abuy
I have photos of all the casting #s. How do I add those to the post?
Go to www.photobucket.com and put your pictures there. Then just copy the link to your post.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lowest sequence number that Mike Hunt had in his research was 0214931 for 1956 Corvette # 127X.
Regards

56 # 1316 sequence # is 313883
Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 56Heap
56 # 1316 sequence # is 313883
Rob;

What is the casting date and suffix code on this engine?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 PM
i4abuy
Cruising

Thanks Ed for your help in getting these photos out to this post.

I am having trouble returning all of your IMs for some reason. The forum wont let me reply to the IMs. Follow this link to the photos on a slideshow http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow. Anyone interested in off of the forum comments can email me at info@firstclassdances.com just title 56 vette engine.

I believe this to be a 57 block with 56 2x4quad intake heads. I believe it to be an original matching set so I am confused by the date codes not matching. Perhaps some can shed some light on this for a Pontiac guy. Also notice that the valve covers have the staggered bolt pattern for the 56 heads, I believe them also to be 56 original. However, one earlier post to the thread makes be think otherwise. I know very little about chevy. I have enjoyed all of your input and trying to find these parts a new useful home.

Maybe I need to find a 56 vette to put them in. It seems like an expensive idea. I ran it by the wife today, what do you think?

Thanks again for all of your help, you all know your stuff.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:20 PM
john neas
Pro

Thanks Ed for your help in getting these photos out to this post.

I am having trouble returning all of your IMs for some reason. The forum wont let me reply to the IMs. Follow this link to the photos on a slideshow http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow. Anyone interested in off of the forum comments can email me at info@firstclassdances.com just title 56 vette engine.

I believe this to be a 57 block with 56 2x4quad intake heads. I believe it to be an original matching set so I am confused by the date codes not matching. Perhaps some can shed some light on this for a Pontiac guy. Also notice that the valve covers have the staggered bolt pattern for the 56 heads, I believe them also to be 56 original. However, one earlier post to the thread makes be think otherwise. I know very little about chevy. I have enjoyed all of your input and trying to find these parts a new useful home.

Maybe I need to find a 56 vette to put them in. It seems like an expensive idea. I ran it by the wife today, what do you think?

Thanks again for all of your help, you all know your stuff.

The valve covers appear to be 7 fin low script which are correct for mid57-58. The correct cover for a 56 is 9 fin low script.
The block is a 265 of 56 configuration 991. I believe it is a Flint 57 produced replacement shortblock which had a poor attemp at stanping. The sequence numbers do not match up for a Corvette. Maybe it was stamped originally for a 2 bbl PG pass car and then someone decided to make a Corvette motor out of it by adding the R?
The heads if in good condition and valve covers are winners.
My opinion.
Regards
Old 05-30-2009, 02:14 AM
i4abuy
Cruising

John,
Thanks for your input. So, when you say the sequence does not match for a Corvette, what are you referring to. I am trying to think of the possibilities and if it is not a Corvette block, it is what it is.
I know in some cases with Pontiac (gtos especially), a motor would be blown up in the first few months and Pontiac (or dealer) would restamp (in rare warranty cases) a replacement block of the next year. In this case though, I believe that the 991 block is 56 early 57, so the heads must not be a stock match to the block? Please advise.
When you talk about a Flint poor replacement, are you saying that the block is a 57 restamped in 57 to appear to be a 56. That seems odd to me because I would think that the date stamp would be noticed long before the front stamp. Or, do you think it was someones attempt to misrepresent what it is. I am only asking, no challenges here.
I have owned all together for over 25years and I acquired them from a guy that said they have never been seperated (block and heads).
I have two transmissions, as well. One transmission has a chrome shifter with a black ball on top. Bellhousing torque converter(s) and motor mounts. Any help with the value of all.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 08:29 AM
john neas
Pro

John,
Thanks for your input. So, when you say the sequence does not match for a Corvette, what are you referring to. I am trying to think of the possibilities and if it is not a Corvette block, it is what it is.
I know in some cases with Pontiac (gtos especially), a motor would be blown up in the first few months and Pontiac (or dealer) would restamp (in rare warranty cases) a replacement block of the next year. In this case though, I believe that the 991 block is 56 early 57, so the heads must not be a stock match to the block? Please advise.
When you talk about a Flint poor replacement, are you saying that the block is a 57 restamped in 57 to appear to be a 56. That seems odd to me because I would think that the date stamp would be noticed long before the front stamp. Or, do you think it was someones attempt to misrepresent what it is. I am only asking, no challenges here.
I have owned all together for over 25years and I acquired them from a guy that said they have never been seperated (block and heads).
I have two transmissions, as well. One transmission has a chrome shifter with a black ball on top. Bellhousing torque converter(s) and motor mounts. Any help with the value of all.
Thanks

i4abuy
I understand some of your questions but they are difficult for me to answer in the few minutes that I have at the computer this morning.
Give me a call and I should be able to answer.
(c) 918-231-4454
Regards
Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 AM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
Rob;

What is the casting date and suffix code on this engine?
Cast B 20 6 FG suffix
Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 612 Likes on 334 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

John,
Thanks
Here are the facts as we see them:
1. It is a Feb, 1957 #991 block.
2. It has been restamped to make it appear to be a '56 corvette engine from the front because you typically can not see the casting date easily when in the car. The stamping is not typical of any of the following; character shape, size, placement or sequence.
3. The gap between the E*6 (May of '56) date codes of the heads and the B**7 (Feb. of 1957) engine casting date tells me that these heads did not originally come on top of this engine block (10 months apart).
4. The heads are definitely the correct casting number for corvettes in 56.
5. The biggest question is: considering the production of the '57 corvette started in October of '56 with 3731548 block casting number, why would a '56 corvette have a 991 block casting number 5 months after the start of the '57 production (and different block #) and 6 months after the last known '56 was produced? Simple answer, it didn't. I believe John is probably correct. Original '56 engine block needed replaced and was replaced with a later cast "over the counter' replacement block sometime after February of 1957. Owner or rebuilder felt compelled to restamp the pad, albeit a very poor attempt as compared to original factory stampings as shown earlier in the thread.
My 2 cents worth.
Panama
Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are the pictures

Old 06-08-2009, 01:48 PM
i4abuy
Cruising

Default Trying to find these parts a new home - additiona photos

Hello gentlemen,
Thank you all for your help, you guys have been great. I have sent the block and heads to be maged. I have taken additional photos of the 2 transmissions, bellhousing, shifter, shifter mount and motor mounts. I have talked with some of you that say the shifter, mounts, bellhousing and the transmission tail shafts are fairly desirable. Can anyone help with the potential value of these items and to help get the word out? I am trying to find all of these parts a new home. Here are the links to all of the photos and slide show. Please advise. It would be nice if these can help some of you complete your projects with the correct parts. Thanks again guys.
http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow
http://gs149.photobucket.com/groups/s61/IN89KYNC7N/

Quick Reply: Have 56 engine block and trans, what is the value