C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windsheild woes on my 59

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 PM
STEVES59
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windsheild woes on my 59

I am replaceing my windshield seal on my 59 I dismanteld the frame cleaned everything, purchased a new windshield, new seals, t-bolts had my post tabs fixed and am haveing trouble with the assembley. I siliconed the seal to the windshield as per the assembley guide instructions but the top frame channel dose not seat fully on the seal I tried rubber lube and giving a soft whack with a rubber malet and it dose not fully seat the same thing happens with or without the filler strip installed in the channel. I went as far as assembleing the intire frame and installing it on the car when you tighten up on the posts it seams to want to pull the frame off the windshield I installed 3 shims on each side of the posts and the same thing happens so I know that channel not seating has something to do with it. Could it be an inferior seal causeing the problem maybee not made right? I dont rember what vendor I got the seal from but was going to or another from zip tommorow. I could really use some advise before I just put the car away fo the summer as I am totally at wits end now
Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Steve,

I’ve been studying the AIM for the past 20 minutes and I’ve personally assembled probably twenty or so of these windshield frames. I’ve never glued the weatherstrip to the glass. To my knowledge the cement used was more like a soft compound that did not dry. This was put in the windshield frame so thinly that I doubt anyone would ever notice it. .90 oz for the bottom between the glass and the rubber is what I show was used.

I always used a compound that we called “No Dry” but the real name is auto bedding compound. It is black and messy 3m product, but it stays pliable when you do an install it will not allow water to pass. The upper seal will move some when you have the assembly together, but if you have it glued to the windshield, instead of it moving upward a little with the molding and retainer it is glued and sticking to the windshield.

On assembly, are you sure the T bolt nuts are completely tight under the dash. When we install the frames we like to start in the middle and work our way outward. Once we reach the end we go back to the middle again. Then and only then do we tighten the outer two studs on the end of the window frame post.

We did have a car in our shop one time and car had been hit on the passenger side front edge. The repair was not done properly and we had to use a record 5 rubber post gaskets to get this side to tighten down. This is the only time I’ve ever had to use more than three to obtain proper fit and in most cases it only takes one rubber end gasket to make the car fine.

When we install the upper retainer on top of the rubber we usually tap it in place with a rubber mallet too but you have to be careful.

Someone else add to this if they do not agree, but I think the glue you used to seal the rubber to the glass is part of the problem.

Willcox Inc.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-19-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:31 AM
black1961
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Wilcox, use the no dry 3M product sparingly, not silicone. I've also read posts by others who assemble the windshield without any sealer.

Do a search of this forum "windshield assembly" under the C1 section. Look for the post "Any tips on installing windshield assembly on 1960
C1"

As pointed out previously by fdreano, go to this site by forum member Larry P:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/lporopat/index.html

Don't do this job when stressed for time or distracted by other work. I have done four windshields and by far it is one of the harder jobs on a solid axle car.

At least you removed the assembly and didn't report any problems. I think removing an original assembly (corrosion and dirt) is more difficult than replacing the new unit. It's good news that you haven't broken your windshield and only need to buy a new rubber seal. Clean everything up again and make sure all of the old grey sealer (factory sealer) and the silicone sealer that you used is removed from the frame. Follow Larry P's instructions and you should be in good shape!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

If I had it to do over again, I would have used NO sealer...the black butyl-based stuff I used was a huge mess. It stays pliable but during the windshield install it got all over me, my two helpers, the car and the glass. I don't intend to drive my car in the kind of downpours that would result in massive leaks anyway. I R&R'ed the windshield (still in the frame) but farmed out installing the new one into the chrome pieces; the guy that did it for me spent a LOT of time cleaning out the channels etc.. Failure to do this makes the installation a b!tch..
Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 AM
53 Blue Flame
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally clean everything of all old material. Almost always powder coat the lower channel, (personal preference and it's free), use all new rubber and glass. The upper channel has never given me problems. I normally tape the rubber gasket to the top of the windshield before sliding the windshield into the lower channel. I know someone who uses 3M yellow adhesive to glue the rubber to the glass before he puts the upper trim onto the glass. Just make sure that you have eveything centered.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

No sealer used here, and it went relatively smoothly for a one man job.

Far more places for water to come in on a C1, than worry about any small amount seeping between the windshield and weatherstrip!

Plasticman
Old 05-20-2009, 12:39 PM
corv58
Melting Slicks

Amen to all the above....When I replaced mine in my '58,it took 2 men and a boy....Plenty of beer,and an awful lot of bad language...But what the heck,it's what we live for.....Also forbade my wife to come into the garage until it was over......jim....
Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 PM
STEVES59
Racer

Thank you for all your responses, But riddle me this when installing the upper channel on to the weather strip did the weather strip completley seat in the upper and lower channels if your looking at the weather strip did both ribs seat fully in the channel that is my dilema I belive it supposed to but mine dosent seem to want to seat this leads me to belive the weather stripping is junk
Old 05-20-2009, 01:13 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I am starting to get a bit freaked, my next project a week or so away is going to be doing the exact thing Steve is. I have all the parts, tabs repaired and have read everything ever written about this on the forum. I have done everything (due to lack of funds) on the car so far from mechanical to major body repair myself with the help of this forum I figured after all the horror stories about windshield replacement I would bite the bullet and pay a professional, however I have not been able to find anyone even reasonably OVER priced and worse then that many of the glass men I spoke with have no real experience or knowledge of this task. I hate to admit this out loud but I think I know more about this then most of them. So unless someone knows a good guy with reasonable prices in southern California I am going to be following Steve down this dark path. PLEASE anyone that has lived through this, if you have any magical secrets Please let us know what they are.

Thanks and sorry for rambling it’s just that I am freaked. :o
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 664 Likes on 473 Posts

You mentioned "purchased a new windshield". Have you measured the height of your old vs. the new? I just had a friend who measured an original of mine because he had some of the same issues with his reproduction windshield--that new piece of glass was 3/8"+ too short. I'd look at that at this point.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM
STEVES59
Racer

Originally Posted by 62corvette
You mentioned "purchased a new windshield". Have you measured the height of your old vs. the new? I just had a friend who measured an original of mine because he had some of the same issues with his reproduction windshield--that new piece of glass was 3/8"+ too short. I'd look at that at this point.
You must have been reading my mind because I was thinking the same thing I just e-mailed the manufacture of the glass. I purchased the glass a few years ago from a place called pinkelton classic auto glass I asked them for measurmets . I do not have an original windsheild to compare measurments to its been discarded. Anybody got a tape measure? I would like to start with a top to bottom measurement Besides the weather strip issue it seems like it may be too small How about you "My59" can you give me a measurement?

Last edited by STEVES59; 05-20-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Plasticman
No sealer used here, and it went relatively smoothly for a one man job.

Far more places for water to come in on a C1, than worry about any small amount seeping between the windshield and weatherstrip!

Plasticman
I should also have added above that the black butyl stuff got all over the holes in the body where the T-bolts go through making it nearly impossible to see well enough to line things up for final assembly and bolt down.

Just as I and my helpers were going to give up (after 4 tries) everything just 'settled in'. Probably that last burst of expletives
that did it...

Finally, if you even THINK you are going to need a new dash pad soon, now is the time to do it...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-20-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVES59
"My59" can you give me a measurement?
Steve,

If knobody answers the question sooner, I will be home friday night and will get you a perfect measurement then. I will try and have my wife or kid measure it tonight and I will post it later, so at least you have a rough Idea.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
corv58
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by my58
Steve,

If knobody answers the question sooner, I will be home friday night and will get you a perfect measurement then. I will try and have my wife or kid measure it tonight and I will post it later, so at least you have a rough Idea.
I still have my old one,plus a spare....I can measure my old one and also the new (spare) one and let you know....My new w/s was a PPG #453,if my memory is working....I'll check that out too..... jim...
Old 05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
STEVES59
Racer

Any help would be great
Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 PM
STEVES59
Racer

Ttt
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 AM
STEVES59
Racer

Originally Posted by corv58
I still have my old one,plus a spare....I can measure my old one and also the new (spare) one and let you know....My new w/s was a PPG #453,if my memory is working....I'll check that out too..... jim...
Jim if you could help me with those measurements that would be great

Get notified of new replies

To Windsheild woes on my 59

Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
corv58
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by STEVES59
Jim if you could help me with those measurements that would be great
Got them last nite....My original w/s as well as the new one measure
18" high.....Also, I was close on my guess as to the # of the w/s....It
is PPG # 450, some of the old w/s auto glass books have a cross reference for that #...if you are going for originality,the 58-61 only had clear glass...the shaded or tinted was not offered as an option until 62....good luck.....jim.....
Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 664 Likes on 473 Posts

Tinted windshield was offered as an option on 62's? How come the factory and the dealers didn't know that?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
STEVES59
Racer

Originally Posted by corv58
Got them last nite....My original w/s as well as the new one measure
18" high.....Also, I was close on my guess as to the # of the w/s....It
is PPG # 450, some of the old w/s auto glass books have a cross reference for that #...if you are going for originality,the 58-61 only had clear glass...the shaded or tinted was not offered as an option until 62....good luck.....jim.....

Thank you for the measurment mine is right on with yours its got to be a problem with the seal. Im waiting for one from zip products hopefully will get it today or tommorow

Quick Reply: Windsheild woes on my 59