C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 A/C Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:53 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Default 67 A/C Control

Does the A/C ****, left side below the Clock, operate the Right side Kick Panel Vent? Also, anyone know the difference between Non-A/C Kick Panel Vent and an A/C version? (67 only). Thanks, Al W.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Al:

Yes it does operate the right-side vent door. Just pull it out to open door. Rotate for blower speed.

A schematic of all the AC controls/***** and detailed descriptions of what they do are on pages 1A24 to 1A26 in the 1967 Chevrolet Service Manual. Good info to have.

Larry
Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Does the A/C ****, left side below the Clock, operate the Right side Kick Panel Vent? Also, anyone know the difference between Non-A/C Kick Panel Vent and an A/C version? (67 only). Thanks, Al W.
With the factory A/C system, there was no right side vent like on a heater car. The vent door was replaced by the "adapter assembly", which controlled the source of air into the A/C evaporator; with the door closed, it took in outside air - with the door open, it took in inside cabin air (recirc mode for max cooling), and intermediate positions allowed a blend of inside and outside air to the evaporator core. A/C cars only had one outside air vent, on the driver's side. System operation is shown in great detail in the "Heating and Air Conditioning" section of the Chassis Service Manual.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Just the info. I needed, and I have the Manual. Thanks! Now, I installed the A/C in my car from a donor car years ago and am finally Tweaking it. The Cable we are talking about operates the Blower and should open the Vent but it is too short to reach the Non-A/C car. Could it be from an earlier year? Al W.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Just the info. I needed, and I have the Manual. Thanks! Now, I installed the A/C in my car from a donor car years ago and am finally Tweaking it. The Cable we are talking about operates the Blower and should open the Vent but it is too short to reach the Non-A/C car. Could it be from an earlier year? Al W.
Vents, both driver's and passenger's sides on a non-AC 1967, were operated by vent pull ***** on the radio side cover panels, not by the heater control *****, as I recall. If you're talking about the cable being able to reach the adapter assembly door, then I think it's possible it could be from a non-AC car, they may be different. Check LIC's catalog & see if they have a different cable listed for AC vs non-AC cars. Here's a link to their catalog page, they carry several different cables, it would appear. So, a good liklihood yours is not the correct one, I would think.
http://www.licorvette.com/pdfcatalogfiles/cat/12.pdf

Last edited by Ron Miller; 05-10-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Well once again the Forum Crew comes threw! Thanks to the answers which provided the places to look I am finally on the right track to finishing my OEM A/C install. A/C is pretty simple once you understand it! Thanks to all. Al W.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 AM
67BETE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron is correct, it is a different cable that runs along bottom edge of glovebox to work its way over to the center control ****, hence it would be longer than the one for a non-AC car. It is also routed completely differently from a non-AC car.

Kirk
Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 67BETE
Ron is correct, it is a different cable that runs along bottom edge of glovebox to work its way over to the center control ****, hence it would be longer than the one for a non-AC car. It is also routed completely differently from a non-AC car.

Kirk
Thanks for confirming this issue. What can you tell me about the Vent Cover on an A/C car VS a Non-A/C car? Thanks,Al W.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for confirming this issue. What can you tell me about the Vent Cover on an A/C car VS a Non-A/C car? Thanks,Al W.
The RH A-C vent cover only has the lower half of the difusers that a nonA-C RH cover has. It is more expensive than the nonA-C, but at least it's available.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:47 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Thanks Dave, So I'm assuming that the Ducting behind the two types of cars is the same? (Never safe to assume!). Al W.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Thanks Dave, So I'm assuming that the Ducting behind the two types of cars is the same? (Never safe to assume!). Al W.
Photo below of the reworked firewall on an A/C car; the C60 firewall rework instructions/diagram and the installation of the adapter assembly that replaced the vent is shown in the Assembly Manual in section C60, sheets D1 and D2. The sheet metal blower & evaporator assembly can be installed without any issues - see sheet D5.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnZ; 05-12-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:07 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Photo below of the reworked firewall on an A/C car; the C60 firewall rework instructions/diagram and the installation of the adapter assembly that replaced the vent is shown in the Assembly Manual in section C60, sheets D1 and D2. The sheet metal blower & evaporator assembly can be installed without any issues - see sheet D5.
Thank You John. But, was there an attachment to your Post? Now that you have shown me the way I see by looking at the AIM how relatively easy it would be to install the correct Vent. The problem remains of finding an authentic one. As I previously posted, I installed this A/C from a Donor car years ago. (30 or so). Thanks to the current Mid Year Corvette's popularity and the folks at LICS I am able to install so many recreated period correct A/C parts. Thanks as always, Al W.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 A/C Control

Quick Reply: 67 A/C Control