C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lost vin tag

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:19 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Lost vin tag

A friend of mine lost his vin tag for his 66 caddy has owned the car for over 20 years and can't find any of his paperwork. Where or who can he contact to have a new one made????
Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by prestige6
A friend of mine lost his vin tag for his 66 caddy has owned the car for over 20 years and can't find any of his paperwork. Where or who can he contact to have a new one made????
When you say he has lost the paperwork, do you mean he has lost the title as well? A car without a title and a VIN tag, is probably a parts car. If he has the title and has just lost the VIN, he can go to the state to have a State-issued VIN tag made for the car. They will inspect the car and after verifying the alternate VIN locations, they will issue a new tag. It is going to look nothing like the original tag, and will impact the value of the car. That being said, these cars don't exactly have a high a value anyway, so this may be just what he needs for a driver.

On high value cars, there are people who will make new tags that are, in many cases, indistinguishable from the original. Their requirements for verifying the alternate VIN on the car are no different than most states and in some cases, are more stringent. Without the proper paperwork and inspections, it is going to be almost impossible to get the car back legal.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-23-2009, 01:24 PM
speedracer65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need just the vin number it will be on a regristration card, otherwise see above ^
Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Well, being the type who wouldn't believe that someone who "can't find" their VIN tag is up to no good, I will point out one thing. If this was his car, and titled in his name and registered and kept legal all along, and he took it apart to restore it and couldn't find the VIN tag upon re-assembly (and I am also the type to not ask why the VIN tag was removed from its originally installed location in the first place), there should be no problem getting the VIN from the title or the registration, ordering a new tag and installing it. If a high quality reporduction is ordered, essentially no one will be the wiser.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:14 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PKguitar
Well, being the type who wouldn't believe that someone who "can't find" their VIN tag is up to no good, I will point out one thing. If this was his car, and titled in his name and registered and kept legal all along, and he took it apart to restore it and couldn't find the VIN tag upon re-assembly (and I am also the type to not ask why the VIN tag was removed from its originally installed location in the first place), there should be no problem getting the VIN from the title or the registration, ordering a new tag and installing it. If a high quality reporduction is ordered, essentially no one will be the wiser.
The problem is, that I know of no reputable companies that make new tags, that will not require a stack of paper to prove that the car actually had that VIN# on it originally!
The gentleman that I have used, requires a copy of the title in your name, an affidavit from a law enforcement officer in your state that he has inspected the alternate VIN, and pretty hefty check. If you can not furnish the copy of the title or the affidavit, then you need not worry about the check, as he is not going to make you a new tag!

Making VIN tags to order without the proper documents will almost assure the tag maker of a nice all expense paid vacation to the graybar motel sooner or later.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He now owns a very nice ?? PARTS car
Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car is titled in his name already then it should be no problem to go down to the local DMV and ask for a duplicate title. At least it is that easy here in AZ. I am not sure when Cadillacs first started using VIN tags but I can tell you at least up until 1960 Caddys had no VIN tag on them...the DMV just inspects the frame rail where the VIN is stamped.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:11 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 341 Likes on 231 Posts

What about these guys???....

http://www.datatags.com/
Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John BX NY
What about these guys???....

http://www.datatags.com/
That is who I use, and their documentation requirements are non-negotiable.

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To Lost vin tag

Quick Reply: Lost vin tag