C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I might get lucky on this repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default I might get lucky on this repair

I was turning a corner and giving a little throttle the other day in my 66, when I heard the unmistakable and indescribable sound of metal suddenly turning violent, in the vicinity of the right rear wheel. Uh oh. Then the engine revved freely and it was pretty clear power was not getting where it needed to go. Got it towed home by a guy in a surburban (who happened to be in my squadron a couple of years before I got there and happens to be the son of one of my neighbors...talk about coincidence). I finally got to take a peek at it today. Expecting a snapped axle shaft, or (more likely) a well-destroyed U-joint, I instead saw this:

I've never been so happy to see sheared bolts. Now, to figure out how to get to the other side of them.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:35 PM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is an easy fix. move shaft out of way, by loosening the camber bolt, on the strut rod, after noting its position, and rotating the arm outward. Pull the cotter pin, lock the parking brake up, and remove the nut. The flange should slide right off. You can then remove the bolts, or replace the flange. Slide the flange back on, torque the nut to spec, ( and more, if needed to align the cotter pin hole), place shaft into postion, loosely install new PROPER bolts, and greased french locks, reposition camber bolt and tighten. Then tighten the flange bolts to spec.

Then go replace the bolts on the other side, with the proper bolts. Rich

Last edited by landshark 454; 04-11-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Then go replace the bolts on the other side, with the proper bolts. Rich[/QUOTE]
I believe that would be grade 8. Dennis
Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Also, once you get a clear shot at looking at the brpken bolts examine them. I suspect you will see hairline shinny spots across the broken stubs. This means that these bolts were failing for awhile. I've never seen this type failure under low load. Keep us posted, Al W.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Also, once you get a clear shot at looking at the brpken bolts examine them. I suspect you will see hairline shinny spots across the broken stubs. This means that these bolts were failing for awhile. I've never seen this type failure under low load. Keep us posted, Al W.
......must be the wrong grade bolts......
Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Right bolts but insufficient torque will have the same end result.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

How tight do they need to be?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Godholio
How tight do they need to be?
70 ft lbs will get it

Old 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by landshark 454
That is an easy fix. move shaft out of way, by loosening the camber bolt, on the strut rod, after noting its position, and rotating the arm outward. Pull the cotter pin, lock the parking brake up, and remove the nut. The flange should slide right off. You can then remove the bolts, or replace the flange. Slide the flange back on, torque the nut to spec, ( and more, if needed to align the cotter pin hole), place shaft into postion, loosely install new PROPER bolts, and greased french locks, reposition camber bolt and tighten. Then tighten the flange bolts to spec.

Then go replace the bolts on the other side, with the proper bolts. Rich
To make sure I'm on the same page (still a noob when it comes to some of the terminology), the camber bolt is on the "inside" end of the strut?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,638 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Godholio
To make sure I'm on the same page (still a noob when it comes to some of the terminology), the camber bolt is on the "inside" end of the strut?
Yes, below the differential. Mark it's current position first so you can put it back in the same position after the repairs.

After you get a chance to fix this let us know what bolts were installed (assuming the opposite side are the same) and if the others are tight. I think this is the first time I've seen that connection fail in waching this site for several years.

Dan

Last edited by DansYellow66; 04-12-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Will do, but it might be a few days...we're getting ready to deploy so work can be a little longer than usual.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Well, this isn't going to help matters any.

Can't get the bolt out...it hits the "trunk" floorpan (back is on the left, front is on the right). Searching for tips, I found one post that confirmed my fear:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
When you put the camber bolts into the bracket mounted on the diff, make sure you put them in "back to front", NOT "front to back".

If you put them in "front to back" you can never get them out without dropping the bracket.

Check your AIM, and you'll see the correct way. The camber bolt and head faces the rear of the car. The nut faces the front. Chuck
It seems like inserting the bolt the other way would just make it hit the spring? Does it actually clear the spring when its done right? In my AIM it actually looks like mine is installed correctly.

I gotta get this taken care of...there's a Hooters car show coming up.

Last edited by Godholio; 04-15-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The camber bolt is inserted backwards,cut it off and get new ones.
They are about $25 each. Should be inserted from the rear to the
front. Shemp
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
riogrand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could unbolt the bracket from the differential.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by riogrand
You could unbolt the bracket from the differential.
Yeah, this is the plan. Taking a dinner break for a bit.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

There is no reason to remove the cam bolt. Only loosen it so you can rotate the cam, thus pulling the flange away from the trailing arm.

Jim
Old 04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Good call...it took some "coaxing" with a rubber mallet and the floor jack, but I got it back in place and was able to rotate to where I could get to the flange nut. The cotter pin was kind of mangled and took a bit of work...now I can see that the threads exposed past the nut are pretty mangled also. My camera won't focus on it, but suffice it to say the threads are distorted and the nut is not going to come off without a fight. But first I'll have to pick up a 1" wrench, I think. So I'm done til tomorrow, I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To I might get lucky on this repair

Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

UPDATE!

Got the flange out, you can clearly see what's left of two of the bolts. They came out pretty easily. The second one took a touch of PB Blaster, but I didn't have to drill either of them.

So, I got the bolts out, put the flange back, got the 1-1/16th nut and cotter pin back, reset the camber bolt (marking the strut bar itself saved me, my marks on the cam itself got rubbed away by the wrench), and started putting in the new bolts. It took a while to get the first one lined up, but I finally got it. Spent just as long trying to get the one at the opposite corner, but finally got it, too. That's when things went downhill quickly. At this point, both remaining holes should be lined up and ready for the bolts, right? Wrong.

You can see the gap between the u-joint and the flange. The bolt you see on the left is tight...when I realized what I was looking at I tightened both bolts just to be sure, then I took the pictures. The opposite corner has an almost identical gap. So much for getting out of this one easily.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Either loosen the cam bolt and rotate it until the gap disappears, tighten the bolts and then reset the cam bolt to its original position OR jack the trailing arm up a bit to decrease the gap and then put the bolts in.

Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Is it supposed to look like that, or is it actually bent? If its bent I'm not thrilled about using it.

Quick Reply: I might get lucky on this repair