C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Aligning a bellhousing for a tremec 5spd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:24 AM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Aligning a bellhousing for a tremec 5spd?

Hi all, I'm trying to install my new 5spd. tranny and I have a question for those who have done this swap. In the directions it states that you need to measure the concentricity of the bellhouse opening with a dial indicator mounted to the crankshaft flange. How did you mount your indicator? Did you make a custom mount/bracket? I can't figure out how to mount the indicator dead center on the crank. Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

The dial doesn't have to be dead center on the crank. Just set up an indicator with a magnetic base on the flywheel with the stylus on the edge of the opening. Then rotate the crankshaft and watch the dial. It will tell you how far out the hole is in relation to the center of the crank.

I made one up, here's a photo of what I used:

This assumes that your pilot bushing, crankshaft and flywheel are all concentric, and the guide pins are tight in the bell housing holes. They will be if all the parts used are good pieces.

Last edited by claysmoker; 04-05-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Here ya go. http://www.priveye.com/images/lakewood.htm
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
71zman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the classic chevy 5 kit on my 1960, they have pretty good instructions for doing this procedure - in fact if you look at their website, they have a video showing how to do this.

Using their instructions, the dial instrument does not need to be exactly in the center - if it offset that is OK - this is because you are measuring alignment at 12, 3 6 and 9 o'clock - you subtract those two measurements and divide by 2 giving a relative measurement - it takes a while to get use to this idea but once you do it a couple of time, it makes sense.

A couple of things that made it easier for me was using the adjustable dowel pins they suggest in the video - BIG IMPROVEMENT. Also take out the spark plugs because you are going to be turning the motor over many times trying to get it aligned.

bret

Last edited by 71zman; 04-05-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:56 AM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 71zman
I used the classic chevy 5 kit on my 1960, they have pretty good instructions for doing this procedure - in fact if you look at their website, they have a video showing how to do this.

Using their instructions, the dial instrument does not need to be exactly in the center - if it offset that is OK - this is because you are measuring alignment at 12, 3 6 and 9 o'clock - you subtract those two measurements and divide by 2 giving a relative measurement - it takes a while to get use to this idea but once you do it a couple of time, it makes sense.

A couple of things that made it easier for me was using the adjustable dowel pins they suggest in the video - BIG IMPROVEMENT. Also take out the spark plugs because you are going to be turning the motor over many times trying to get it aligned.

bret
Originally Posted by claysmoker
The dial doesn't have to be dead center on the crank. Just set up an indicator with a magnetic base on the flywheel with the stylus on the edge of the opening. Then rotate the crankshaft and watch the dial. It will tell you how far out the hole is in relation to the center of the crank.

I made one up, here's a photo of what I used:

This assumes that your pilot bushing, crankshaft and flywheel are all concentric, and the guide pins are tight in the bell housing holes. They will be if all the parts used are good pieces.
Originally Posted by 1snake
Thanks guys! All this info is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:57 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 71zman

bret
But don't run out and buy a set of adjustable pins unless you really have to have them. I bolted a stock bellhousing onto a new engine with stock guide pins and it was only .001" off. I hope you have such good fortune.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by claysmoker
But don't run out and buy a set of adjustable pins unless you really have to have them. I bolted a stock bellhousing onto a new engine with stock guide pins and it was only .001" off. I hope you have such good fortune.
I'll let you know!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Don't need exact center as you are trying see offset. Take multiple readings 180° apart and use 1/2 the difference EX. -10° and a 0° reading would give you a 5° offset.

Hard to see but dial indicator I iused was big to it is inside bell and I had to use mirror to read .

George

Old 04-05-2009, 12:18 PM
465hp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes our was only .002 off, trans in in 1 hour !
Old 04-05-2009, 10:03 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
Don't need exact center as you are trying see offset. Take multiple readings 180° apart and use 1/2 the difference EX. -10° and a 0° reading would give you a 5° offset.

Hard to see but dial indicator I iused was big to it is inside bell and I had to use mirror to read .

George

Thanks George! That's exactly the way my indicator will have to be set up because it's to big. I'll get my readings tomorrow and see what I've got.
Originally Posted by 465hp
Yes our was only .002 off, trans in in 1 hour !
Man! I hope I'm that lucky!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:23 AM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pletner
Hi all, I'm trying to install my new 5spd. tranny and I have a question for those who have done this swap. In the directions it states that you need to measure the concentricity of the bellhouse opening with a dial indicator mounted to the crankshaft flange. How did you mount your indicator? Did you make a custom mount/bracket? I can't figure out how to mount the indicator dead center on the crank. Any ideas?
http://www.irvansmith.com/scart/bell...or-p-1008.html
Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Browell makes a great tool for centering bellhousings - bolt the spindle to the crank, load the bellhousing, slide the ring on the tool, then into the opening, and adjust the Lakewood dowel pins until the ring slips in without interference. Nails it every time.
Attached Images      
Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
uncle427
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Browell makes a great tool for centering bellhousings - bolt the spindle to the crank, load the bellhousing, slide the ring on the tool, then into the opening, and adjust the Lakewood dowel pins until the ring slips in without interference. Nails it every time.
Excellent tool!

Went to the site and cannot find one, do you have a part # on it? I assume it has different sleeves for different bells ID's ?

Don't forget to be sure you have bell parallel between front and rear mounting surfaces as well, equally important!

Bill
Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle427
Excellent tool!

Went to the site and cannot find one, do you have a part # on it? I assume it has different sleeves for different bells ID's ?

Don't forget to be sure you have bell parallel between front and rear mounting surfaces as well, equally important!

Bill
Bill:

no info on the Browell site. They have pictures, but no part number or price. I guess you would need to call and inquire. Phone (765) 447-2292.

An article from the Camaro Forum indicated a retail cost of this tool of $125 in 2007. Probably a bit higher now.

Let's see if John has additional/latest info.

Larry
Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Bill:

no info on the Browell site. They have pictures, but no part number or price. I guess you would need to call and inquire. Phone (765) 447-2292.

An article from the Camaro Forum indicated a retail cost of this tool of $125 in 2007. Probably a bit higher now.

Let's see if John has additional/latest info.

Larry
I like what I see with the tool And I will need to do the same thing as Pletner when I put our 5 speed in but since it will probably be a one shot deal I'll stick with my old but effective small magnetic base with last word indicator. Excellent information given

Get notified of new replies

To Aligning a bellhousing for a tremec 5spd?

Quick Reply: Aligning a bellhousing for a tremec 5spd?