C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Oil pressure question

Morning Gentlemen,

327/350 Original engine, 66 . Back from complete rebuild. Stared first turn of key. I have put on about 400 miles. Changed filter, after 1 hour, full of builder grease etc. Will change oil in about 100 miles. Live in Maine, so it is cold now. Pressure on start about 30 psi. Originial oil gauge. Goes to about 15 psi at highway speeds , drops to bottom of gauge at idle.

Have owned car for 40 years and I never had high readings, Could the gauge be old and reads low?

Is 15 psi ok at 30 to 70 mph ?

10/30 oil

Jack
Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

jack.....hook up a temporary second gauge to verify the reading....15 psi is way too low
Old 03-28-2009, 07:51 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

15 PSI at highway speeds is way too low and certainly, "bottom of the gauge" or 0 PSI at idle when warm is off the charts. If the car runs well it's a safe bet that the gauge is no good.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Morning Gentlemen,

327/350 Original engine, 66 . Back from complete rebuild. Stared first turn of key. I have put on about 400 miles. Changed filter, after 1 hour, full of builder grease etc. Will change oil in about 100 miles. Live in Maine, so it is cold now. Pressure on start about 30 psi. Originial oil gauge. Goes to about 15 psi at highway speeds , drops to bottom of gauge at idle.

Have owned car for 40 years and I never had high readings, Could the gauge be old and reads low?

Is 15 psi ok at 30 to 70 mph ?

10/30 oil

Jack

I wouldn't run it that way. Just my personal opinion. I would buy a cheap gauge that has a plastic oil line and hook it up to the engine. Just to check to see if the original gauge is giving you a correct reading. If the cheap gauge reads substantially higher I would guess that the original gauge does have some problems.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I will get second gauge to check it

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I wouldn't run it that way. Just my personal opinion. I would buy a cheap gauge that has a plastic oil line and hook it up to the engine. Just to check to see if the original gauge is giving you a correct reading. If the cheap gauge reads substantially higher I would guess that the original gauge does have some problems.
Thanks

Will verifiy with other gauge

Engine runs like clock, no valve noise or indications of not getting oil, but I agree it does not make me feel good to see no pressure at idle, could the gauge have gotten gunk in it upon start up, from rebuild?

Jack
Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks

Engine runs like clock, no valve noise or indications of not getting oil, but I agree it does not make me feel good to see no pressure at idle, could the gauge have gotten gunk in it upon start up, from rebuild?

Jack
is there a fitting on the front of the block between the water pump and intake??..if so it is an oil tap....
Old 03-28-2009, 08:28 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks

Jack
I know you do not want to read this but I would verify oil gauge (as already stated several times) immediately, but be prepared that you might have a engine issue which is not common but it does happen. Your description is exactly what engines do when they have issues, not a faulty oil gauge. I hope it is the gauge but if it worked fine before I would be checking it but preparing for more drastic issues. I would not run the engine anymore than you have to check the gauge. Easier to fix than wasting away journals, etc....
Good luck and let us know how you make out,
Old 03-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Yes there is a square bolt in that place

Originally Posted by midyearvette
is there a fitting on the front of the block between the water pump and intake??..if so it is an oil tap....
Can I put the secondary gauge in that tap, I hate to touch the oil line, it does not leak and is more difficult to reach.

Run both gauges at same time to see if old gauge is off?

Thanks for tip,

I will get back with readings as soon as I put my pants on

Jack
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Can I put the secondary gauge in that tap, I hate to touch the oil line, it does not leak and is more difficult to reach.

Run both gauges at same time to see if old gauge is off?

Thanks for tip,

I will get back with readings as soon as I put my pants on

Jack
naaaah...do it without pants......yes BOTH gauges
Old 03-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Could oil pickup screen be blocked with gunk?

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
I know you do not want to read this but I would verify oil gauge (as already stated several times) immediately, but be prepared that you might have a engine issue which is not common but it does happen. Your description is exactly what engines do when they have issues, not a faulty oil gauge. I hope it is the gauge but if it worked fine before I would be checking it but preparing for more drastic issues. I would not run the engine anymore than you have to check the gauge. Easier to fix than wasting away journals, etc....
Good luck and let us know how you make out,
The filter had gunk in it after start up, could the screen also be blocked a bit. I will run second gauge , hope it is gauge, not pump.

Jack
Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Jack just as a reference point, my 65 327 with an alleged 350 horse configuration, in well-used form, shows 60 lbs at cold idle, or at speed.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

AMA Specifications (Automaker Manufacturing Association) for the Chevrolet 327 engine show 30-45 psig at 1500 RPM for normal (hot) operation.

My 1967 327/350 HP has around 50-60 psig cold at startup, 45-50 psig hot normal running, and 30 psig hot idle.

Larry
Old 03-28-2009, 11:21 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The filter had gunk in it after start up, could the screen also be blocked a bit. I will run second gauge , hope it is gauge, not pump.

Jack
I've never seen this but heard about it. Ask the guy that built it what kind of assembly/breakin lube he put in there. The front of the block is a good, easy place to hook up your second oil gauge.

The AMA specs as quoted above are "normal" for a 327/350 engine.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Oil pressure problem results

Originally Posted by MikeM
I've never seen this but heard about it. Ask the guy that built it what kind of assembly/breakin lube he put in there. The front of the block is a good, easy place to hook up your second oil gauge.

The AMA specs as quoted above are "normal" for a 327/350 engine.
Thanks all of you for your comments. I will give you the results of my test and some of the things done to engine.

Was not able to get square nut off front oil tap. Water pump in way and no socket to fit, brass nut and started to strip if worked to hard

Use regular fitting at rear that supplies reg gauge

Other gauge showed same reading. 5 or less at idle 15 max at faster rpm cold, did not wait to warm up since I know what to expect.

The car has always read a bit low, even 40 years ago. 30 to 40 psi max
about 15 to 20 warm. and would drop low at idle. Engine has over 250,000 miles on it with same pump and reading but Never dropped to almost 0 at idle

The lube used for assembly was LubriMatic Motor Assembly White Grease.

Lots of gunk in first filter after 1 hr run time
Oil is clean, no smoke or bad sounds that I can perceive
Engine feels strong like I remember when I was 22 and bought car

I don't believe he changed original oil pump.
Only leak front of oil pan stated below
I did put on a spin filter instead of original canister.
I do have a small leak front of oil pan and I am going to have gasket replaced next week and will have screen and pump checked

If you believe the pump may be problem, since I will be dropping pan no problem with putting in new pump (I hope that is problem)

Car temp is at 160 after warm up. New Dewitt direct fit rad. Old temp was at 200 plus before rebuild with 20 year old copper.

Could I have put on spin filter wrong.. Does not leak or indicate any problem

I will not run engine until I hear your comments

Thanks

Jack
Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Thanks all of you for your comments. I will give you the results of my test and some of the things done to engine.

Was not able to get square nut off front oil tap. Water pump in way and no socket to fit, brass nut and started to strip if worked to hard

Use regular fitting at rear that supplies reg gauge

Other gauge showed same reading. 5 or less at idle 15 max at faster rpm cold, did not wait to warm up since I know what to expect.

The car has always read a bit low, even 40 years ago. 30 to 40 psi max
about 15 to 20 warm. and would drop low at idle. Engine has over 250,000 miles on it with same pump and reading but Never dropped to almost 0 at idle

The lube used for assembly was LubriMatic Motor Assembly White Grease.

Lots of gunk in first filter after 1 hr run time
Oil is clean, no smoke or bad sounds that I can perceive
Engine feels strong like I remember when I was 22 and bought car

I don't believe he changed original oil pump.
Only leak front of oil pan stated below
I did put on a spin filter instead of original canister.
I do have a small leak front of oil pan and I am going to have gasket replaced next week and will have screen and pump checked

If you believe the pump may be problem, since I will be dropping pan no problem with putting in new pump (I hope that is problem)

Car temp is at 160 after warm up. New Dewitt direct fit rad. Old temp was at 200 plus before rebuild with 20 year old copper.

Could I have put on spin filter wrong.. Does not leak or indicate any problem

I will not run engine until I hear your comments

Thanks

Jack
Check to see if a new oil pump was installed. If not, and you plan to pull the pan anyway, I would certainly recommend a new oil pump at that time. Always a good idea at rebuild time, in my opinion. Then, if nothing changes, I'd try going back to the original cannister oil filter just to see . . .

Little changes, won't cost much, and will eliminate any possibility from the equation, in my opinion . . .

Old 03-28-2009, 04:04 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

the builder should have replaced the oil pump......get a MELLING high volume not high pressure....be sure you still have the original filter plate used in conjunction with the spin adapter!! ....you won't need to go back to the canister..this should solve your problem....disconnect the idler arm at the 2 bolts on the frame...then you can pull the center link down to make pan removal easier..good luck....
Old 03-28-2009, 05:23 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I would replace the oil pump with a standard replacement pump while you had the pan off but I don't believe that's your problem. Pumps wear and will lose pressure but they don't do it sitting on the bench waiting for the rebuild to be complete. If you put a new pump in, tack weld the pickup screen to the pump housing. Don't rely on the press fit.

I'd like to tell you something happened when you changed the oil filter over but I have no idea what it could be if it doesn't leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure question

Old 03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Good afternoon Gentlemen

Originally Posted by MikeM
I would replace the oil pump with a standard replacement pump while you had the pan off but I don't believe that's your problem. Pumps wear and will lose pressure but they don't do it sitting on the bench waiting for the rebuild to be complete. If you put a new pump in, tack weld the pickup screen to the pump housing. Don't rely on the press fit.

I'd like to tell you something happened when you changed the oil filter over but I have no idea what it could be if it doesn't leak.
I did change the filter back to the canister. You know, they say the spin on is less messy, but the two times I have changed it, I got more oil on me than I ever had with the canister.

Anyway, guess what? no change, still low pressure.

I think I will keep the canister for a while.

Now, heaven forbid, if I change the pump, and still low pressure....

Is there any possibility that the oil tap opening, could be clogged in any manner from the build, or if that was so, would I not see any pressure on the gauge,

It still goes up and down , just not up as far as I would like, like a lot of things at our age.

Jack
Old 03-28-2009, 05:48 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

.........replace the pump.........you haven't had good presure for 40 years...give yourself a treat and your engine too...
Old 03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Last post and I am having a good drink

Originally Posted by midyearvette
.........replace the pump.........you haven't had good presure for 40 years...give yourself a treat and your engine too...
Thanks again everyone for the very entertaining morning and afternoon.

I will let you all know the outcome of a new pump.

Now a drink and little TV golf watching. Good to see others frustrated, I think I will take my pants off , since putting them on didn't fix my problem

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 03-28-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Oil pressure question