C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil Pan Mods Big Block

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Skruffy
Advanced

Location: Ontario. 85, 523cid BBC ,C4-ZR2,Z51, DRippie's actual '87 SCCA Fox RShox, ZF6, HoosierR6, Plated.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Pan Mods Big Block

We are fabing up a pan for a 523 C.I.D. Mk V install in my '85 C-4. This engine is a replacement for the Mk IV 468 I had in it before. It is a light duty track day, autocross application. The question is this: In maintaining a 7, 1/2 inch total depth pan we are sectioning a 6 quart Mk V pan and adding a longer, but shallower sump. I would like to install a piano hinge based baffle as a check valve, mid-pan, to prevent loss of sufficient depth at the pick up under heavy braking. The concern is flow-back characteristics under moderate deceleration and how that should dictate design. The current thought is to use a very thin "Shim Stock" for the flapper and allow say 3/8 -> 1/2 inch from each side and/or a notched bottom edge or a bottom edge 1/8th short to facilitate flow-back or a very low "cracking" pressure. As ususal, your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

maybe this look at an OEM SB trap door pan will give you an idea.

Bill
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a Moroso street pan which is 81/2" deep and has the sides of the pan kicked out to maintain oil capacity. It also has baffeling for excelleration and stopping. If your set on doing your own you may want to look at one of theirs and copy what you like or check the autocross or drag racing site on this forum and ask your questions there. I'm sure that someone there has researched or done what your looking to do.
Good luck
Russ

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Mods Big Block

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Mods Big Block