C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Convertible Top Adjustments on 63

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
karista
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Convertible Top Adjustments on 63

Had a top installed, now I have a problem with the rear gasket alignments. Both sides compress very hard, but the rear gasket shows a large gap. It seems that the forward sections of each side needs to be raised, thus allowing the rear straight section to come down and also put less pressure on the gaskets on each side. Any Ideas?
Don't tell me to take it back to the Bubba Install shop!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure the rear is pressed down in the 2 holes as far as it will go? Bill.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM
karista
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Irwin
Are you sure the rear is pressed down in the 2 holes as far as it will go? Bill.
The side are totally compressed, so the rear is pressed in as far as possible (one click).
Old 03-13-2009, 03:47 PM
musclecarman54
Instructor

They tacked the top bows pads on to tight. Not allowing the rear bow to touch the top of your deck lid.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
musclecarman54
Instructor

The Bubba Shop figured that it would stretch out but I bet it wont. I put my own on. It was trial and error. I read on the internet approx. how much space should be between the bows. I tack the pads on and it fit the way it should. Just tight enough to stretch the top to take the wrinlkes out. Very time consuming but well worth it. NO Bubba Here
Old 03-13-2009, 03:58 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the top is pretty tight. Try releasing the front latches and then pushing the rear latches down further. I think they have at least 3 notches to latch onto.

You say that the sides of the rear bow seal are totally compressed at "one click". With the front bow unlatched, you should be able to push the rear bow down at least two clicks.

How does the center of the rear bow fit in compairson to the sides?
How did the rear bow fit before you had the new top installed?
Did you have a new rear bow seal installed?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:59 PM
musclecarman54
Instructor

Did the old top fit before taking it to the shop? Or was frame work off of the car and you decided to reinstall it?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecarman54
They tacked the top bows pads on to tight. Not allowing the rear bow to touch the top of your deck lid.

That's a good possibility.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

More then likely it is not the pads. It is probably the rebound straps on each side of the window that are too tight.
My guess is that the top was not adjusted right which has to be done b/4 installing the canvas. You can try raising the top assy to give it more room on the sides. However, this is a compromise as you may find that this affects your window seal of the side glass.
I would start by tracing a line around the top frame Behind the seats where it bolts up to the cage. This way you will have a base line. Then loosen up the bolts just enough so you can slide the top up. Move it a little bit at a time shutting the door to see if you can live with the window fit at the top rear corner. This will help with the rear weather strip fit and even out the gap. If you still have a problem then the fix will be much more difficult and require removing staples and adjusting the rebound strap length.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:44 AM
musclecarman54
Instructor

Stand corrected! There are straps that you put on before installing the pads over the straps.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Adjustments on 63

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Adjustments on 63